Mens Tennis Forums banner

How would you rate the 2014 French Open?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you rate the 2014 French Open? You can take the WTA into account, if you want.

R1 losses of Wawrinka and Nishikori took two title conteders away, making it a two-horse race. Ferrer might've had the game to beat big names but the QF showed he didn't have the mentality. Gulbis was the positive surprise by making his first GS semi and beating Federer. Murray making semis was also a surprise, even though I'm not his biggest fan.

But otherwise it was just predictable two weeks to a Nadal-Djokovic final which wasn't so great, after all.

I didn't watch WTA so much but Sharapova seemed to be the Nadal of the WTA. Many players hed her in ropes but lacked the mental fortitude to win.

My best memory was Benneteau/Roger-Vasselin winning the doubles title. It's great Benny won something big in doubles as he seems to be unable to win a singles title. Plus it was great that the FO got finally a French champion on men's side, at least in doubles. Without benny/ERV's doubles title, I'd give it a 3. But that makes me give a 4.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
8.5 Loses a point for the dragging first half of the second week, and for some of the early retirements. Loses another .5 for the winner. All around, a really solid slam, for the Mens and Womens tournament both.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I say 6-7.
neither of them play their best.
But Nadal should've won in 3, though winning in 4 proves my prediction right

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
10/10

Nadal GOATing past Ferrer/Clayray/Djokovic to crush their dreams once more simply never gets old.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
it was by leaps and bounds the worst Slam i have ever seen and i have seen quite alot

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I think I overrated it at 4. Halep getting to a final was pretty great to see though.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
a very generous 6 just because of Gulbis' run. Otherwise it was same old boring predictable shit as always. Bring on the grass.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Women's side was kind of interesting from the upsets. But neither Djokovic nor Nadal played their best this year. And Fed choking against Gulbis shows he really is on the decline. 6.5 out of 10 on the men's side. 7 for the women's.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think for the first time in a long time the women's event outdid the men's in terms of excitement and quality of matches.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts