Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jokes aside, Andy had a better clay season than most of the "clay-courters", given that it is his weak surface and did not have a clay title until last month to winning 2 titles in 2 weeks. How would you rate his season out of 10.

He would have beaten anyone not named Djokovic in the RG SF. Unfortunately, he has to play a very good Novak. He still remains the only player to take sets of Novak at RG this year.

Irrespective of who his opponents were and whatever their form was, Andy displayed great tennis until the last set of RG SF.

My top 3 pick would be

1. Dispatching Rafa in Madrid Finals.
2. Beating Ferrer in RG QF
3. That Kohlschreiber win in Munich:)sobbing:)

I would rate him a 8 out of 10. He finishes this season with only loss. Only Djokovic has a better clay season, understandably.

P.S.: Thank you Rosol - "No-one likes you on tour, everyone hates you." - that is when ClayRay surfaced from tanking a match to winning 15 in a row!

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Defintely an A..Won ATP 250/M1000..Great level all around..Could have accepted a routine defeat when Djokovic was in purple patch for two set and half, but fought like a madman and took it to fifth which might turn out to be the real Final..

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
9.5/10. 1st title on clay, 1st Masters 1000 on clay, 1st win over Nadal on clay, 1st top 10 win at RG, 1st win over Ferrer on clay, 4 top 10 wins, closest match against Djokovic since Wimbledon 2013

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
9/10 2 titles one being a M1000, 15-1 record, only lost to the best player in the world in 5 sets.

·
Registered
40,645 Posts
8/10 for sure,his improvement is terrifis,but the real credit should go to Mauresmo.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
For me its a 10/10. Winning two titles, one a masters, on the surface and defeating multiple top ten players and stretching Novak to 5 sets at RG.

Considering how poor he has been on clay for the past few years, it has been great. Clayray used to be a funny joke after all.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
9/10. He is 2nd best on clay, now and is my pick to win RG next year.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
9/10. The only thing not making it a 10 is the loss to Djokovic, who he still took to 5 sets. By far the second best player on clay this season.

·
Registered
596 Posts
10/10.

First ever clay title.
First ever clay Masters in the same week.
Beat Davydenko in 2009, now has Top 10 clay wins over Raonic, Nishikori, Rafa (back to back to back), and Ferrer.
Took the world's best player to 5 sets.
Only sixth man in Open era to reach SF at all Grand Slams at least 3 times.
Clayray is real.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
10/10.

First ever clay title.
First ever clay Masters in the same week.
Beat Davydenko in 2009, now has Top 10 clay wins over Raonic, Nishikori, Rafa (back to back to back), and Ferrer.
Took the World's best player to 5 sets.
Only sixth man in Open era to reach SF at all Grand Slams at least 3 times.
Clayray is real.

All this means nothing, if he has lost main battle. History remember only winners.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Best of his career, 2nd best the season

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Best ever but that was not enough to beat Djokovic. He was close, so close, than anybody else this year - but not yet enough close.

So because of that he becomes officially Novak Djokovic's TURKEY.

Welcome to the turkey club Andy!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
BY far better than everyone predicted. Playing what 16 matches on clay loosing only 1 vs Novak in 5 sets in SF of RG. Amazing clay season from him, doubt he will have better clay season in future

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Best ever but that was not enough to beat Djokovic. He was close, so close, than anybody else this year - but not yet enough close.

So because of that he becomes officially Novak Djokovic's TURKEY.

Welcome to the turkey club Andy!
That happened in Miami.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
My top 3 pick would be

1. Dispatching Rafa in Madrid Finals.
2. Beating Ferrer in RG QF
3. That Kohlschreiber win in Munich:)sobbing:)
I'd put the Nishikori match at the top, that was pretty superb.

The form in the Ferrer match was a bit irregular: some superb stuff, but too many ridiculous breaks where he went randomly awol and couldn't find the court - didn't know it at the time, but a flaw that would kill him in the semis.

Nadal was atrocious in the Madrid final, so not sure I'd rate that too highly.

Kohlschreiber match in Munich was the best drama of all, the most enjoyable match. Does that make it higher quality than vs Nishikori though? Not sure.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts