Votes: 5 25.0%

Votes: 4 20.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another two weeks of exciting tennis has come to an end with Djokovic’s 8th crown in Australia, and it’s time to recap. With the perfect timezone, an early Chinese New Year break, a high quality stream for all courts and the virus keeping me at home, this is probably the slam I’ve followed the most closely to date, I’ve probably averaged 10 hours of tennis-watching a day throughout these two weeks, often following two matches at once. ? It’s certainly been an exhilarating ride for me, a treat amidst all the unfortunate news around the world. I’d give the tournament a solid 9, best tournament since 2017 AO for me. Hardly any of the matches I looked forward to were disappointments, and there were many great matches throughout the tournament. Only slight disappointment was the second week’s average quality, matches had enough tension and drama but didn’t match the extraordinary level we‘ve seen before in numerous classics.

Match of the tournament for me was Thiem-Nadal, that was a 4-hour battle with consistent good quality and lots of drama, and it was a pleasant surprise to see Thiem’s impressive run to an HC slam final. I also enjoyed the Fognini-Sandgren match a lot, it was probably the most low profile R4 match but it involved some entertaining rallies and definitely high-quality tennis. Zverev also turned his awful start of the season around to make his slam semi debut, while Federer displayed grit in incredible comebacks against Millman and Sandgren, not to mention giving his all in the semis despite not feeling 100%. It was a disappointing slam for NextGeners Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Berrettini and Shapovalov who still have much to work on, while Wawrinka, Cilic, and Raonic were resurgent in their upsets over top 10 players. I was hoping for Thiem to break through the big 3 slam stronghold, but at the end Djokovic was solid enough and the big 3 continue their dominance at the beginning of the 2020s. The big 3 are truly unmatched in their everlasting hunger to win, but dents have certainly appeared with consecutive 5-set final escapes, and I hope that younger players will finally have their time later this year.

10 significant matches this tournament (in no specific order):
Thiem-Nadal, Cilic-RBA, Sandgren-Fognini, Federer-Millman, Djokovic-Thiem, Wawrinka-Medvedev, Thiem-Zverev, Kyrgios-Khachanov, Kyrgios-Nadal, Dimitrov-Paul

Reactions: RoyBatty

·
Registered
17,841 Posts
4/10, far below expectations

5-6/10 without expectations, i guess

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
I would give it at an 8. Maybe a 9, as Thiem and Zverev impressed me. I think the new guns are nearly there. The big 3 will struggle to take all the majors this year.

·
Registered
317 Posts
A 4/10 because of the bush fires. The women’s finals was a mess and a big argument why women’s tennis should not be paid the same. Men’s tennis was actual tennis being played but it was so up and down in quality so ehhh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts