Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following his heavy win over Zverev 6-1 6-1 7-6, how do you think he's going to do this year? Will he get stopped by Coric in the quarters, make top 10 or even do well in Wimbledon?

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
Kyrgios, Wawrinka, Herbert, Zverev, Coric, Djokovic, Nadal is going to be the toughest draw to a first career slam in recent memory. If only it were Agut, Goffin, or Dimitrov instead of Herbert. Would have been epic across the board.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Too early to predict anything, knowing his injury history and how suddenly his body can break down.
If he maintains this level on the long run, a Wimby SF would be a decent showing, with another Masters final in the making (IW, Miami?).

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Raonic looks fresh and determined like at 2016 AO again, it’s nice to see that he’s gotten over the injuries and will get another chance to challenge for a slam. Zverev didn’t trouble him enough today, but I think he would have done it in 4 sets max against 100% Zverev given how confidently he was playing. If he stays healthy (which is a big question mark after the past 2 years), he could make his way back to the top 5 by the end of the year.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kyrgios, Wawrinka, Herbert, Zverev, Coric, Djokovic, Nadal is going to be the toughest draw to a first career slam in recent memory. If only it were Agut, Goffin, or Dimitrov instead of Herbert. Would have been epic across the board.
It does feel like it but if you take into account Kyrgios and his problems while Wawrinka is still trying to get his comeback going and then that Zverev is never good in slams, it becomes less impressive but nonetheless he's definitely had the hardest draw so far.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I felt that the hardest draw would help Raonic more than the other way with easy draw because of the quality of opponents in early rounds. A 4+ hours match with Wawrinka also helped him to take a day off to rest and be refreshed and it worked well and look at him right now, a QF for a chance to play against Nole/Rafa match should Raonic somehow prevails against Djokovic. This draw is a great preparation for his game because he often falters when SF/F comes around. This might be opposite and he might actually get over the hump this year in AO. Not to get ahead of myself but should he win this AO with this type of draw will propel Raonic into a legend for years to come. 6 of 7 matches of such draw is either current top 10 or former champion plus former top 20 players as well in the first two rounds plus 4th round. It is unheard of in the 32-seed format and these are reasons he could be a legend only if he finally win this tournament.

·
Your visions will happen
47,121 Posts
Been playing well since he got Ivanisevic into the team

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
It does feel like it but if you take into account Kyrgios and his problems while Wawrinka is still trying to get his comeback going and then that Zverev is never good in slams, it becomes less impressive but nonetheless he's definitely had the hardest draw so far.
Stan didn't play at his peak level but his level against Raonic was definitely decent

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
Nobody will remember that in 5 years time, they'll just see the 6 slam champions(3 yet to happen) in the draw and it will sort of change the perceptions as people forget the current level of those players.

Stan was playing top 10 tennis in that match though.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The win over Kygrios was impressive in how Raonic never gave Kygrios even a sniff at returning anything when he was serving. Didn't one of the commentators today say that Raonic's first serve % was over 90% in that match? Seriously, even Djokovic in his returning prime would have had trouble with Milos on that day from the way Nick described it after the match (I ddn't get to watch it, so I'm only going by other's descriptions of it).

Beating Wawrinka was substantial too, since it was such a close and nervy match, and because Stan looks to have returned to his normal form for the most part (I did get to see the first two sets of it). That match was an extremely clean one for both players (both Raonic and Wawrinka had far more winners than UEs), and it was played at a very high level, so that win shouldn't be so easily overlooked IMO.

The Herbert and Zverev matches are more difficult to gauge Raonic's level, but those first two matches at least really show that he will be dangerous to play if he stays healthy and his stamina holds up. He hasn't played a whole lot of tennis recently, so his fitness level is a bit of an unknown right now. It's hard to say how he'll last deep into a slam.

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
What does Raonic Run mean?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
If healthy, he'd be back in the top 10 (if not the top 5) by the end of the year. Little reason to think he will remain healthy, though. I'm surprised he's even gotten through 4 Bo5 matches this week so far without visible injury.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What does Raonic Run mean?
I'm telling him to run (jk). I probably should've put Raonic's Run but it's basically his run in the AO so far.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Following his heavy win over Zverev 6-1 6-1 7-6, how do you think he's going to do this year? Will he get stopped by Coric in the quarters, make top 10 or even do well in Wimbledon?
Well he wont be stopped by Coric in the quarters, thats for sure.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
That's why people should not look at results to judge players' form but actually to watch matches and see with their own eyes how these guys play.
Raonic is playing very well by his standards. Better than anything he's done since 2016, IMO. He doesn't get dragged into endless rallies and charges at every opportunity. He has really good hands that he uses very effectively. And serves like...well... Just ask poor Stan. :p
But as mentioned above, the fragility of his body can cut his momentum short at any given moment. So making predictions regarding his seems pointless. As per..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wasnt a fan of him before, but happy to see his ground game so strong. He is playing very good, even moving in on offense like goran thrived upon, but much more choice than his coach.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well he wont be stopped by Coric in the quarters, thats for sure.
I'm so disappointed with Coric, it has taken over my whole day and just ruined it ugh.

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
GOATn1c is playing insanely well in this Australia Open. It’s the best level he has shown since WTF 16. Wouldn’t say it’s better yet because we need to see how he holds up vs the best.

But it’s a great run so far and I’m hoping he can keep up this level because he’s dangerous. Fingers crossed his body holds up.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
That's why people should not look at results to judge players' form but actually to watch matches and see with their own eyes how these guys play.
Raonic is playing very well by his standards. Better than anything he's done since 2016, IMO. He doesn't get dragged into endless rallies and charges at every opportunity. He has really good hands that he uses very effectively. And serves like...well... Just ask poor Stan. :p
But as mentioned above, the fragility of his body can cut his momentum short at any given moment. So making predictions regarding his seems pointless. As per..

...plus, the big forehand has been doing damage!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts