Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In three years Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Ferrer, Berdych and Murray will all be 30 years old or older. With del Potro questionable because of injury, this seems to leave Raonic, Nishikori and Dimitrov as the ones primed to take over tennis. Will they be the top 3 players in three years?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dimitrov and Nishikori might be if their bodies hold up. Raonic will be nothing more than a player hovering around the top ten like Gasquet or Isner.

I could see a weak patch being exploited by him and him getting up to number 3,4 or 5 albeit briefly

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Not happening..nole/rafa/andy (not necessarily in that order) will be the top 3..
Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
First: Big 3 - I'd say unlikely anything like "The big-4 dominance" ever happens again ... but

Second: If it is a big-3 in 3 years, high likelihood that 2 out of nole/rafa/andy are still there

Third: If there is a big-3, for the 3 "young guns" mentioned, the odds of them being "the Big-3" is really, really small (although, not zero I guess). Odds of any of them being in the top 3:
- Grigor - best chance to be in the mix .. improve his fitness, mental toughness etc & he could easily be there .. these are not a high improbability
- Kei - good chance IF he suddenly becomes consistently healthy ... BUT, you can say the same thing about JMDP (and man, I'd love it for both) ... so realistically a low chance Kei (or JMDP) is there
- Milos - If he continues on current trajectory, I'd say he's a consistent 4-10 guy. If somehow, he can address his glaring weaknesses even more than his most loyal fans believe will happen, hey who knows. But I don't see 1-3 ever except maybe if the stars come together & it is a short-term bounce like for Ivan his coach.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Highly doubtful.

No way Raonic will be top 3 ever. It's almost impossible for Bots to consistently go deep in tournaments due to their tiebreak fetish.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it is unlikely that Nadal, Djokovic and Murray will maintain their dominance past thirty (though they will probably remain in the top 10 for a few more years) and it is likely that some of the younger players will improve and move past them. Based on numbers alone, Raonic, Nishikori and Dimitrov are looking like good bets, but there are other possibilities, such as Janowicz, Tomic, even Jack Sock. I raised the question to provoke discussion about who is the future of men's tennis, and of course to watch MTF heads explode...

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Dimitrov and Nishikori might be if their bodies hold up. Raonic will be nothing more than a player hovering around the top ten like Gasquet or Isner.
Milos has already been doing that for 2 years now. Seems unlikely that he won't improve at all in the next few years and that nobody in front of him will decline.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,399 Posts
I'll go with maybe two of djokovic/nadal/murray and someone else to make up the top three, but I don't see why the likes of Wawrinka, Del Potro, or Berdych would be overlooked either. Sure they will be nearing or passing 30, but that's not stoping Ferrer or Federer today, so why would it them?

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
That really is a grim thought, OP. The day a player like Miloserve Botnic reaches the top 3 is the day to close down the sport. They say all good things come to an end and I don't see why tennis would be any different.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
Highly doubtful.

No way Raonic will be top 3 ever. It's almost impossible for Bots to consistently go deep in tournaments due to their tiebreak fetish.
Raonic has played roughly the same percentage of tiebreaks as Wawrinka this year. Try again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts