Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a random though I've had here when watching some clay courters get destroyed here on the US Open hard courts.

I hate it that players can play all year on clay(or hard court) and inflate their ranking because they earn loads of points in clay challangers and weak 250 events and get ranked really high.

I was thinking that maybe 6 spots in your countable tournaments have to be reserved for Hard court tournaments, and 6 for clay(other 6 can be any surface), that was players have to play a little on Hard and Clay. Players could still be ranked high by playing mostly on clay or Hard but maybe not quite as high.

I didn't include Grass because there's not enough tournaments

You could also go to 7 each if 6 proved not to be enough.

Just throwing this out there becuse it's frustrating for me to see clay court mugs get entry into a hard court event such as the US Open because they earned their entry play playing on all clay

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
i do agree that something has to be done because were seeing it on both sides that players who specialize or maybe play almost exclusively on one surface build their rankings up and it is rediculous

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
they not go to do it for you

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Just make the seeding for every tournament partly surface dependent, like Wimbledon. Keep the rankings the way it is now...

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Just make the seeding for every tournament partly surface dependent, like Wimbledon. Keep the rankings the way it is now...
That's a good idea

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
It's not though. Seeding isn't the problem. The problem is that we have Lukas Rosol getting in the MD having played no hardcourt matches.
Rosol qualified for Dubai beating Beck in the 1st round then lost to Simon. He has played hardcourt challengers this year.

·
29,057 Posts
Rosol qualified for Dubai beating Beck in the 1st round then lost to Simon. He has played hardcourt challengers this year.
You are correct, I didn't mean none, I meant next to none, poor use of the english language by myself. Hasn't played on hard since week 12. There are probably better examples.

·
124,507 Posts
You are correct, I didn't mean none, I meant next to none, poor use of the english language by myself. Hasn't played on hard since week 12. There are probably better examples.
Berlocq and Andujar hardly play on hardcourt but have won matches on it this season.

·
Registered
22,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Berlocq, Riba, Andujar, Junquirea, Rosol, etc. have all earned the majority of their points on clay courts, and I think are ranked too high as a result, they may be decent on hard courts, but I don't believe they would be ranked as high if they had to get some of their points on hard courts.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
There should be no such rule. This is one tour after all. If you have a high enough ranking you should be able to compete in all 4 slams not barred from the ones that are not on your favorite surface

·
124,507 Posts
Berlocq, Riba, Andujar, Junquirea, Rosol, etc. have all earned the majority of their points on clay courts, and I think are ranked too high as a result, they may be decent on hard courts, but I don't believe they would be ranked as high if they had to get some of their points on hard courts.
The old classic whine about players getting too many points on clay. Plenty of players get most of their points on hardcourts, when there are more big money events on that surface with shit all on clay.

·
Registered
22,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The old classic whine about players getting too many points on clay. Plenty of players get most of their points on hardcourts, when there are more big money events on that surface with shit all on clay.
I understand that, I included that in my OP, I myself seem to notice it more about clay courters, but I'm sure there are loads of players who play mostly on hard courts, and don't do very well at the french open.

·
Super Moderator
18,668 Posts
I say let them play - if European guys can get a basic bye in R1 of the French when playing some Americans/Canadians/Australians, then let the Americans/Canadians/Australians/Northern Europeans get a similar bye in R1 of the US Open.

·
Registered
22,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There should be no such rule. This is one tour after all. If you have a high enough ranking you should be able to compete in all 4 slams not barred from the ones that are not on your favorite surface
where did I say ban clay courters from the US Open?:confused:

I just think you'd get a lot less of these specilized players getting totally demolished on a court they aren't very good on.

Also if this were implemented I believe players would try and get better on all surfaces and we would see less of these matches

·
124,507 Posts
I understand that, I included that in my OP, I myself seem to notice it more about clay courters, but I'm sure there are loads of players who play mostly on hard courts, and don't do very well at the french open.
Every system is going to have flaws, they can't or won't do it for the other surfaces, no point now when there are less differences.

·
124,507 Posts
And no one should be able to deprive the American public of the comedy spectacle that is Pere Riba on hardcourt :)
Riba beat Ball this year at the AO hilarious comedy.

·
Registered
22,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:lol:

Riba would like get in anyway with this system:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts