Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I dont really care about Gugas ranking anymore, but something TennisHack posted on the GM made me wonder what can happen to Gugas ranking from now on.
He just lost in the first round of Toronto. Last year, in Montreal, he reached the third. Therefor, he will lose 70 rank points.
Next week we will start with 1425 points, which should put him one, two or three positions down. So, he will be 22nd, 23rd or something like that.
Cincinnati is the major problem. He won it, so he has 500 :)eek:) points to defend. If he doesnt play, he will have 925 points the other week. Would be a ranking of something like number 38-40. It would mean no seed at the USOpen. :sad:
And then we have Indianapolis, where he reached the final last year. 175 points to defend. First round loss would mean 750 ranking points. Number 50 or around.
And then the UsOpen. He reached the quarterfinals, so he has 250 points to defend. Losing first round would mean 500 ranking points. Number 80 or around.
After that, the only meaningful results were the 110 points won on Stuttgart and Paris combined.

So the worst case posible would be a number 80 ranking after the UsOpen. Its damn bad, but for that he would have to lose every single match he plays.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i think he should blow off the rest of the year and start again next year. that's the reality of surgery. it takes time to recover. i'm pissed that he didn't do the surgery sooner so that he would really be back by now. bad planning Guges! :mad:

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Hitman, I suppose we don't have the same view on rankings. Yes, his ranking will slip (heck, he's not seeded now, so there's little chance he will be later), but it could also work in his favor. He will not have to play Challengers for points, and could probably accept wildcards into tournaments and build up points. The way I see it, when you have no points to defend, you can make your move and start from scratch.

I agree with tennischick that Guga should just blow off the year (at least after the Open) and start fresh next year, playing in the first week and on. I have faith that Guga will be back :) and healthy!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A turning point definitely.
A player is someone in which the competitive spirit is huge. So, being unseeded and having to battle tougher for things will make it all more interesting for Guga. He can get pumped up from that. You are right, I dont disagree with what you said. This was just an ordinary analysis of numbers.
Its sad to see him dropping. If it was because of technical crisis or something, well, we can afford that. But this... :sad:

Im with you, this year rankings dont matter anymore. :)
I just wanna see him play well and happy.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just translated a whole frigging article and when I pressed post the gosh dammed machine told me I was not online. Yeah, right! :fiery:
Whatever, I lost everything. :mad:

I will do it again tomorrow, if Im not too lazy.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They replaced that other article, with comments on how this week´s rankings WOULD be, with this new one, with comments on this week´s ranking as it IS.
Ill post the translation for it. :D

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh great, I forgot the article. :p

http://www.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/diaadia/ult138u9229.htm

ATP confirms Guga as #46 and meligeni as new Brazilian #2
08/19/2002
As [email protected] first announced, Gustavo Kuerten lost other 10 positions in the Entry System for he didnt defend his Indianapolis points (reached the final in 2001) and he is at the 46th spot of the new Entry System of this Monday. On the other hand, Fernando Meligeni is now at 55th and right over Andre Sa.

This Monday´s ranking will be the base to the seedings of the US Open, and Guga´s last chance to be among the 32 is the USTA take his previews results and not the ranking literally. That, however, never happened before in the US Open.

Meligeni and Sa fight for the number 2 during the Long Island tournament this week. The awesome run in Washington made Fernando climb 6 spots up and open a gap of 11 points over Andre Sa, who fell to #56. This week, Meligeni defends 45 points for last year´s quarterfinals, so the “fight” looks like a tight one.

See the ranking of brazilians among the top 300:
46. Gustavo Kuerten, 760 – down 10 spots
55. Fernando Meligeni, 692 – up 6 spots
56. Andre Sa, 681 – down 1 spot
73. Flavio Saretta, 556 – down 1 spot
121. Alexandre Simoni, 338 – up 5 spots
130. Ricardo Mello, 326 – down 9 spots
196. Marcos Daniel, 177 – up 2 spots
234. Julio Silva, 146 – up 3 spots
252. Francisco Costa, 128 – up 4 spots

1 - 8 of 8 Posts