Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is JMDP's Ranking Watch Thread!!! :D

He is about to enter the top 100. And although he won't make it this week, I'm sure it will be soon.

:wavey:

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
He should have made it this week if he had beaten Delgado today- sadly his retirement from that match precludes it :sad: But he is young and has many years ahead of him to achieve great things!

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Finally the news we have been waiting for :D As of 10/09/06 the ATP Site shows Juan's ranking as #99 which is up 4 positions :) Top 100 :woohoo:

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Congrats Juan! :bigclap:

·
Registered
10 Posts
From TyC Sports:

09-10-2006 |
Del Potro se metió entre los cien por primera vez

El tandilense de 18 años ascendió cuatro lugares en el escalafón mundial y quedó 99°. Calleri, Chela, Mónaco y Coria también subieron en el sistema de entradas.

RANKING ATP

1. ROGER FEDERER (SUI) 7.370 puntos
2. RAFAEL NADAL (ESP) 4.625
3. IVAN LJUBICIC (CRO) 3.190
4. DAVID NALBANDIAN (ARG) 2.900
5. NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO (RUS) 2.590
6. ANDY RODDICK (USA) 2.585
7. TOMMY ROBREDO (ESP) 2.245 (+1)
8. JAMES BLAKE (USA) 2.240 (-1)
9. MARCOS BAGHDATIS (CHI) 2.066
10. FERNANDO GONZÁLEZ (CHI) 1.850 (+1)

OTROS ARGENTINOS ENTRE LOS PRIMEROS 100

22. GASTON GAUDIO 1.245 (-1)
25. JOSE ACASUSO 1.080
29. AGUSTIN CALLERI 1.003 (+2)
33. JUAN IGNACIO CHELA 915 (+1)
72. JUAN MONACO 549 (+3)
83. GUILLERMO CORIA 475 (+1)
94. MARTÍN VASSALLO ARGÜELLO 446
99. JUAN MARTÍN DEL POTRO 429 (+4)

Attachments

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Congrats :woohoo: As he isn't playing this week I think we must be prepared for this to drop a little in a week or two - but it's still good news :)

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Good news!!!!! Congrats Juan!! :yeah:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Congratulations Juan! :bigclap:

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a quote from the news and articles thread:
Greetings from Basel. Yes - the match will be hard. I do not like Murray but he is an excellent player, and has improved tremendously this year with even an outside chance of qualifying for the TMC. I honestly do not fully expect JMDP to win this match, especially considering the surface which he has no experience on, - but it will be great experience for him, and I hope that by this time next year he will be up there with Murray in the rankings.
It would be great if Del Potro manages to get where Djokovic and Murray are now, by this time next year.

I know it doesn't work this way, but:

Ranking when turned 17:

Djokovic: #338
Murray: #541
Del Potro: #209

Ranking when turned 18:

Djokovic: #128
Murray: #367
Del Potro: #106

Ranking when turned 19:

Djokovic: #63
Murray: #46
Del Potro: ? (23-Sep 2007) With 18 years and 1 month, he is #91.

Both Djokovic and Murray made the Top 20 with 19 years and 5 months.

Del Potro will be 19 years and 5 months old in February of 2008.

This probably means nothing. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
This is a quote from the news and articles thread:

It would be great if Del Potro manages to get where Djokovic and Murray are now, by this time next year.

I know it doesn't work this way, but:

Ranking when turned 17:

Djokovic: #338
Murray: #541
Del Potro: #209

Ranking when turned 18:

Djokovic: #128
Murray: #367
Del Potro: #106

Ranking when turned 19:

Djokovic: #63
Murray: #46
Del Potro: ? (23-Sep 2007) With 18 years and 1 month, he is #91.

Both Djokovic and Murray made the Top 20 with 19 years and 5 months.

Del Potro will be 19 years and 5 months old in February of 2008.

This probably means nothing. :shrug:
Oh Willy
ME ENCANTO!
I WISH! I WISH
JUAN IS THE BEST PLAYER OF ARGENTINA TO ME AND I WISH HIM THE BEST AND ALWAYS TALK TO MY FRIEND TO PUT ON EYE ON HIM
GREAT WORK BOY!
SILVY

·
Registered
267 Posts
In the match against Gonzalez, i've heard something quite interesting. Don't know if I was hearing right, or Salatino was wrong; but he said something about Del Potro inside the top 80???.

Either way this kid is something serious, the past year he was 1200 and some, and now is inside the top #100.

But now it get's harder and harder, it's difficult to start ricing, but much more to maintain that level

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
In the match against Gonzalez, i've heard something quite interesting. Don't know if I was hearing right, or Salatino was wrong; but he said something about Del Potro inside the top 80???.

Either way this kid is something serious, the past year he was 1200 and some, and now is inside the top #100.

But now it get's harder and harder, it's difficult to start ricing, but much more to maintain that level
Well I know he got 60 points from Basel - so I guess that this is possible - but I don't understand the rankings so well, so I will wait until they publish them tomorrow. I know JMDP's goal was to finish this season inside the Top 80 - so would be great if this is true :)

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Well, looking at Del Potro's activity last year, he won Montevideo Challenger. But it seems that tournament was played a week after than it is being played this year.
It seems that in this week last year he lost in the first round of Santiago Challenger, so he had nothing to defend.

I really don't know how many positions he would advance, since you have to take into account the results of way too many players. And Salatino may be very experienced, but with the rankings... :unsure:

but I guess it is possible.

I don't know, maybe someone did the math and will tell us... or we could just wait until tomorrow. ;)

1 - 20 of 118 Posts