Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently Denis Shapovalov had 20th birthday and tomorrow Sascha Zverev has 22th birthday so I decided it's a good time to make ranking progress comparison of most promising next-genners (Zverev, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, Auger-Aliassime). I also added Big3 + Gasquet (grey colour) for comparison.

It's clear that Tsitsipas was trailing behind other three players but he made a huge leap when he was between 19 and 20 yo (last year). Shapo had a leap at the age of 18 (and was ahead of everyone) but afterwards his progress slowed down (and even stagnated for 9 months). Zverev's progress was more gradual but trajectories of him and Shapo are similar in 19-20 range (though it's doubtful that Shapo will keep up with Sascha now). Auger-Aliassime is currently making a huge ranking leap (he's ahead of everyone, even Nadal, at the age of 18 years and 8 months) so let's see how far he can go this year.

I also added Big3 and Gasquet to the chart. Nadal was a prodigy, who was #2 at the age of 19. He's ahead of everyone. Djokovic from the age of 19.5 was ahead of everyone except Nadal. Fed's progress was a bit slower since he turned 19 (and almost stagnated between 20 and 21). Guys like Shapo and Zverev have a good pace (Zverev not far behind Djoko, Shapo similar to Fed), Felix has a great pace. Obviously this doesn't mean they will become new Big3 - just look at Gasquet. Ranking progress in early years doesn't guarantee anything but can be an indicator of players potential.

·
Registered
295 Posts
These stats are meaningless as Coric, reaching top 30 by the age of 18 back then, was well ahead of BIG3 of the same age and his fans told us he would be greater than ever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts