Silver medalist - 245
Bronze medalist - 175
4th place - 135
Quarterfinalist - 90
3rd round - 48
2nd round - 28
1st round - 1

Is this true?
It seems kind of silly to award points that players cant defend, did they do this in 2004?

If this is true it will help Massu out when he wins double golds again.

·
Registered
335 Posts
yeh it is stupid the olypics should not give points. tennis shouldnt even be an olympic sport there are enough tournaments for the players

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
yeh it is stupid the olypics should not give points. tennis shouldnt even be an olympic sport there are enough tournaments for the players
I don't see a problem with having the Olympics there but yes I do agree, points is a waste of time seeing as you can't defend them.

·
Registered
86,336 Posts
on the other hand there are only two players of a country who actually get points at olympics. The others don't even get a chance to compete at the Olympic Games. And I can imagine the players don't even think of the points once they are there as the athmosphere there is really unique.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't see a problem with having the Olympics there but yes I do agree, points is a waste of time seeing as you can't defend them.
no problem with it but it just isnt that interesting. it doesnt get the same exitment that other sports recieve when they are at the olympics.

·
Registered
335 Posts
on the other hand there are only two players of a country who actually get points at olympics. The others don't even get a chance to compete at the Olympic Games. And I can imagine the players don't even think of the points once they are there as the athmosphere there is really unique.
whats the crowd like at the olympics?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats why I'm asking, thats what I got off google.

·
Registered
86,336 Posts
Rd 64: 5
Rd 32: 25
Rd 16: 50
QF: 100
4th Place: 155
Bronze medallist: 205
Silver medallist: 280
Gold medallist: 400

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
I think the cutoff is four players, not two.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Yup, 4 players max. per country.

I agree that shouldn't be ranking points.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i heard that the olympics is like a 64 players tournament with top 2 players representing their country, is it true? i didn't know how it works cause i'm not really into tennis in 2004 so 2008 is gonna be the first time i watch olympics. can anyone tell us what it's like? please

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think the cutoff is four players, not two.
i think i read somewhere before tha a country can only send 2 singles players and 2 doubles teams. so 2 players play doubles together and the 2 singles players are also aloud to team up to play in the doubles as well but im not sure if im right bout that

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
4 singles players + 2 doubles + 1 Doubles team with 2 singles players.

For example, Argentina in Athens:

Singles: Nalbandian (withdraw due to injury and Arthurs became LL due to be best ranked in singles between doubles player from countrys with less than 4 singles), Calleri, Chela and Zabaleta
Doubles: Etlis/Rodriguez + Chela/Zabaleta

Draws:
Singles: http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/vault/draws.asp?TournamentID=96&TournamentYear=2004
Doubles: http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/vault/drawsdoubles.asp?TournamentID=96&TournamentYear=2004

·
Registered
756 Posts
sorry this has nothing to do with the points but....
does any one know if we will be able to watch the tennis from Bejing?
did anyone here watch Athens? I know in the US...there wasn't any tennis coverage that I can remember. I only remember seeing Roger holding the Swiss flag during the opening ceremony & I think he will again this year.

Hopefully the Tennis Channel will have coverage.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts