Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what everyone thinks should happen with ranking points during this 6 week break.On the atp site they did mention very briefly the impact of ranking points and reviewing it.

Personally I think it’s rather unfair That people cannot defend there points and/or gain points. This especially effects lower ranked players who may of had a decent run or may play better at these tournaments. Having no chance to defend points or gain points can have a huge effect on the rest of the season.

I honestly don’t think it’s as easy as “well no ones getting points so that’s fair right”. I think something needs to be done to compensate for the situation. One suggestion would be players keeping the points they earned since they haven’t had a chance to defend them yet.

What do you all think? Any ideas on how we can make the situation better.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
The fairest thing is that everyone loses points on the 52 week schedule. Otherwise we are back to a 2 year ranking system. No, let the points drop. If a player is injured, he doesn't get to keep his points. If the tour is injured, nobody gets to keep their points.

However, I also think it is fair that everyone should have a protected ranking for entry purposes (not for seeding) similar to the way an injured player does.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Just how it is . Tour is cancelled for now . Yes people lose points but like someone already said it’s. Not like anyone else is gaining points .

There might be no more tennis this year . I personally think it has been a slight overreaction.

Lots of people have had it and made a full recovery . It’s mainly a threat too the weak and old .

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I would essentially do a back up of the rankings to the last point where everything was good in the sport of tennis i.e. 1st Jan 2017.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just keeping the 2019 points of the cancelled events for another year would be very unfair to all the players who had to withdraw or did badly in 2019 in these events. They already had to endure these bad results in their ranking for a whole year.

However, some measures will be necessary if the break becomes longer, because the ranking would become a big mess if more mandatory tournaments were cancelled and players would be punished for playing a sensible schedule and not having many uncountable results in their ranking breakdown.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The situation is a mess and there is now way they will resolve it to make everyone satisfied ,not only in tennis but in all other sports as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts