Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically thinking: De Minaur, Zverev, Tsitsipas, Khachanov and Shapovalov

I reckon: Zverev, Tsitsipas, khachanov will be top 10.

De minaur, shapovalov top 20.

I personally believe none of them will be in top 5. (I think Zverev will leave top 5).

Would love to hear peoples thoughts?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
So who will be in top5 in a few years? Big3 + Murrinka?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Top 10- Zverev, Tsitsipas, Coric
Top 20- Khachanov
Top 30- Tiafoe, Rubelv, De Minaur

I don't think Zverev leaves top 5 without an injury.
Simply because there is no one to take his place. Other than big 3, there are 2 spots left.
DelPo, Anderson, Cilic, Isner are not getting younger.
Thiem, despite an excellent USO campaign, has not shown remarkable improvement outside clay to get more points.

·
justice for all
13,137 Posts
Interesting question. My point of view:

TOP3 - Zverev, I feel like next year his co-operation with Lendl will pay off
TOP10 - Tsitsipas, definitely the most consistent out of the rest, very talented and making improvements and stable progress all the time
TOP15 - Khachanov, I hope his Paris run was not a one-off, if not maybe even TOP10 is within reach
TOP15 - Coric, similar case to Tsitsipas but just a bit worse
TOP20 - Shapovalov, he's probably the most talented of all but struggles a bit with finding and stabilising his game, it'll be too early for him for a major slam breakthrough in 2019
TOP20 - De Minaur, solid baseliner with great defence will get him to TOP20 but beyond that it's problematic, for me he's a new but weaker version of Hewitt/ Ferrer with not enough weapons to get on top in the modern era
TOP30 - Tiafoe, Rublev, probably not enough consistency to go further, Chung, hoping for a comeback

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Coric top 5. Best consistency and mentality. Does not fear the top guys.
Khach may have also unlocked a next mental level in/after Paris. Seemed fairly comfortable. I'm fully expecting another step upwards, but wouldn't be the first time someone grinds to a halt...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Khach may have also unlocked a next mental level in/after Paris. Seemed fairly comfortable. I'm fully expecting another step upwards, but wouldn't be the first time someone grinds to a halt...
Quite possible. But he might also fizzle out for a year. Let's wait some time before proclaiming him as the next big thing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So who will be in top5 in a few years? Big3 + Murrinka?
3 Zverev
10 Tstsipas
12 Khachanov
18 De Minaur
24 Shapovalov
Yeah I think djoko, Nadal, Feds, thiem, nishikori.
I think Murray's form has been unconvincing that I reckon he will be top 20. But not top 5.

As for your prediction yeah I reckon you are undervaluing Tsitsipas and khachanov. But you could be right. I also think Medvedev will be top 15.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Seems almost everyone forgot about Medvedev.

I cannot make any specific predictions but ilI have high hopes for most of the next gen in 2019. I also believe that they will start challenging for big titles i.e. slams and masters sooner than u might think. Of course khachanov n zverev have shown the way. Coric is getting close.

Edmund has improved a lot too. I hope de minaur can kick on. Chung needs to get his shit together. But i feel very positive about them, I believe most of these guys are top-20 capable. Its a bigger question who can be top 10 and stay there.

I think the important thing is that mentally they look better now. I dont think they fear the top guys and with the big success of medvedev, tsitsipas, khachanov, chung/edmund earlier in the year, they are spurring each other on

·
Administrator
10,777 Posts
Tsitsipas ranking will depend on his January-June performances in 2019. He doesn't have a ton of points to defend I don't believe. With Zverev potentially able to make a deep run in London, I'm guessing that he'll remain the highest ranked out of the five. His GS results are only going to improve. Khachanov will break the top 10 for sure. Shapo and De Minaur will be in the top 30 at minimum, in my opinion. Shapovalov has been crazy inconsistent this year and De Minaur is still very young.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
OP forgot about Coric?

He's gonna be a choker for the rest of his life.

Did you know Cilic was pretty clutch at the start of his career and just got worse and worse? Khachanov already displayed amazing choking abilities for his age. I think it's way more likely for it to go worse, than better. Hewitt's mentality also declined with age.

I think in general, it usually gets worse with age and with bad experience.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Nice thread , because It's evident Mtf learned from past mistakes and overreations. Big 3 are not going awy any time soon in 19 and 20. They'll continue strong or dominating even if they don't win everything.

Also have to agree about Coric. Masively underrated here.

He'll end up 10 IMO

Coric , top 10
Zverev, top 10
Tsitsi top 10
Khachanov top 15
Shapo top 15
De Minaur, top 20

Top 5 reserved for Delpo, Big 3 and insert any other player

·
10,284 Posts
Khachanov should be inside the top 10 or top 5

Tstispias a little behind Coric in top 20. Edmund awkwardly in between. De Minaur and Shapovalov inside top 30
Tiafoe in top 30.

Chung injured. Donaldson top 50.

That's about it.

·
10,284 Posts
Khachanov should be inside the top 10 or top 5. Zverev slightly behind him.

Tstispias a little behind Coric in top 20. Edmund awkwardly in between. De Minaur and Shapovalov inside top 30
Tiafoe in top 30.

Chung injured. Donaldson top 50.

That's about it.
Zverev top 10 behind Khachanov

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Zverev: Top 3
Tsitsipas, Coric: Top 10; Tsitsipas is more consistant overall gamewise and Coric has been rather injuryprone, but I still think both will make it. Cant' see them reaching the Top 5 yet though.
Khachanov, Medvedev: Top 15; see both having a good year with more or less solid results.
Rublev: Top 20; that's where he should have been this year without the injury.
Jarry: Top 25; can see him having some kind of a "breakthrough" next next year.
Shapovalov, De Mug: Top 30; Insect will probably try to vulture hard but with his future-level groundstrokes there's just not more to reach for him.

Tiafoe, Munar, Chung and some others: Think they'll end up somehow in the Top 50 without doing anything spectacular.

Bonus-mention:
Outside the Top 50: Fritz, because he is a huge mug.
Outside the Top 100: Mmohron, he's simply terrible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts