Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it'd be interesting to ask what people think the most prestigiuous tournaments are. I'm sure most people would put slams first but after that how would you rank the following kinds of tournaments in terms of prestige:

Grand slams
Davis Cup
Olympics
WTF
Masters
....or anything else you think deserves to be in this list

I'd say:

1.) Slams
2.) Davis Cup
3.) WTF
4.) Olympics
5.) Masters

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Now watch Fedtards and Rafatards move up and down respectively WTF and Olympics/Davis cup.

Reactions: janko05

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Grand Slam
Davis Cup
Olympics

The rest put in whatever order.

Kafelnikov TMS events are just warm ups for the Slams.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Anyone placing WTF 2nd must be a complete idiot.

The only real question here is Davis Cup or Olympics 2nd. Actually, I think some players might prefer winning an Olympic gold to winning a GS. Would Massu have become such an hero if he had won a GS?

·
Premium Member
21,474 Posts

The only real question here is Davis Cup or Olympics 2nd. Actually, I think some players might prefer winning an Olympic gold to winning a GS. Would Massu have become such an hero if he had won a GS?
Good point. You get a (serious) shot at Olympics maybe once or twice in a career, three times if really lucky, so that's definitely harder than anything else. :)

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

Kafelnikov even got more appreciation for his Olympic title. I think 2 Slams, Olympic Gold and a DC easily makes up for the fact he never won a TMS event or the TMC, the ones who put a TMS event in front of DC and Olympics, well they're special.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
There's no such thing as a bad tournament, if your looking across every player on the tour. But most to least prestigious is hard. I'd say:

1. Slams / Davis Cup (both equally mean a lot IMO -- making the history books, and a chance to make your Country proud -- both highly memorable for the player)
2. Olympics (only happens every 4 years -- also mean's the world to win Gold; again doing something for your Country and being remembered for it)
3. World Tour finals (still great, but probably NOT as likely to be remembered in the history books as above -- but still memorable in a way of solidifying yourself as one the world's best)
4. MS1000 (fairly large tourneys, not likely remembered to be something huge, but they give valuable $$$$ and ranking points -- essentially more of a "springboard" to do well and have potential for the more prestigious tourney's listed above)
5. The rest...

Apologies for my essay, but that's my opinion :rolleyes:

·
29,637 Posts
Newport
Casablanca
Grand Slams
WTF
Olympics
TMS

DC is anywhere depending on your contribution to that team's success. A bit part clown like Boredo winning it was meaningless and belongs at the bottom.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
slams>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>masters

the rest dont mean shit

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
Olympics is a joke. WTF may be a joke now but at one time it was more important than the slams or at least the Australian Open. Even now it's far more important than the Olympics which has no history, a terrible selection system for the draw, best of 3, and no consistency. Surface changes every time so even disregarding all the other things that make it a joke it's more like an exho since it can only be played once. No one was talking about the Olympics when it was Massu vs Fish in the final, now that Nadull won it the tards come out and pretend it matters :eek: Olympics belongs with that half clay half grass Fed-Nadull match in history, pathetic to see even the mods pretending like Nadull deserves any credit for winning it, let alone it being above the WTF :help:

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Wimbledon
AO/RG/USO
Masters Cup
Olympics
Masters

Davis Cup is a group competition, you can't really classify it with the others unless we are including World Team Tennis in this. Any random mug can win a Davis Cup trophy without playing a single rubber, if he teammates do all the hard work. The other events are based on your own merits and skills. Not saying this as a Fed fan, because a lot of my other favourite players are very devoted to Davis Cup (Ferrer, for example) but it's in a separate category to the individual events.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts