Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who among these players has better chances of winning X title ?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think it's between Nadal's 2nd AO and Djokovic's 1st RG..I now get that Djokovic winning the French Open has a weird "never meant to be" feeling about it..Much like Federer,I don't think he will ever get the chance to defeat Nadal on Philipe Chatrier, especially how awful Nadal looked for most of the Clay stretch by his standards..For Rafa, I'm expecting the most motivated Nadal you've ever seen at a Slam in AO'15; i think he will be out to expunge the memory of Wawrinka match, and that is where he is at his best if his body permits..

My Ranking:

1- Nadal's 2nd AO
2- Djokovic's 1st RG
3- Nadal's 1st WTF
4- Federer's 18th Slam
5- 1990s generation 1st Slam
6- Murray's 3rd Slam
7- Djokovic's 1st Gold Medal in Rio'16
8- Wawrinka's 2nd Slam
9- Nadal's 3rd Wimbledon
10- Delpotro's 2nd Slam

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
1. Nadal's 2nd AO
2. Nadal's 1st WTF
3. Murray's 3rd Slam (If healthy)
4. 1990s generation 1st Slam
5. Nadal's 3rd Wimbledon
6. Djokovic 1st RG
7. Del Potro's 2nd Slam (If healthy)
End of things that could actually happen
8. Federer's 18th slam (Old man should never come close to a slam again but we saw the travesty of a draw that was Wimbledon 2014 and how tennis was barely saved by a listlessly choking Djokovic.)
9. Djokovic's 1st Gold Medal in Rio '16
10. Wawrinka's 2nd Slam

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
From today's scenario. This can change in a couple of months obviously.

1- 1990s generation 1st Slam
2- Wawrinka's 2nd Slam
3- Federer's 18th Slam
4- Djokovic's 1st RG
5- Nadal's 2nd AO
6- Nadal's 1st WTF
8- Murray's 3rd Slam
9- Nadal's 3rd Wimbledon
10- Delpotro's 2nd Slam

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Nadal's 2nd AO
2. Nadal's 1st WTF
3. Murray's 3rd Slam (If healthy)
4. 1990s generation 1st Slam
5. Nadal's 3rd Wimbledon
6. Djokovic 1st RG
7. Del Potro's 2nd Slam (If healthy)
End of things that could actually happen
8. Federer's 18th slam (Old man should never come close to a slam again but we saw the travesty of a draw that was Wimbledon 2014 and how tennis was barely saved by a listlessly choking Djokovic.)
9. Djokovic's 1st Gold Medal in Rio '16
10. Wawrinka's 2nd Slam
It is scary how close we were to him winning 2 Slams in 2014..A Dimitrov's wayward FH in the 3rd set TB from him almost surely avoiding Nadal and rolling through his lapdog in the Final..Draws have a way of opening up, and i still think he can catch fire and defeat this Djokovic, and he knows, deep down, that Nadal is his only stumbling block..

·
Registered
905 Posts
1- Djokovic's 1st RG
2- Wawrinka's 2nd Slam
3- Nadal's 2nd AO
4- Federer's 18th Slam
6- Murray's 3rd Slam
8- Delpotro's 2nd Slam
9- Nadal's 3rd Wimbledon
10- Nadal's 1st WTF

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1- Djokovic's 1st RG
2- Wawrinka's 2nd Slam
3- Nadal's 2nd AO
4- Federer's 18th Slam
6- Murray's 3rd Slam
8- Delpotro's 2nd Slam
9- Nadal's 3rd Wimbledon
10- Nadal's 1st WTF
Is he getting Crippled-dal this time around, too? :eek: ..So * becomes ** :sad:

·
The special one
14,024 Posts
Anyone who hasn't voted 1990s generation hasn't thought this through logically there is absolutly no way a whole decade of players isn't going to win a slam its almost impossible usless you thing nadal djokovic and murray will be consistantly winning slams in there late 30s

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Anyone who hasn't voted 1990s generation hasn't thought this through logically there is absolutly no way a whole decade of players isn't going to win a slam its almost impossible usless you thing nadal djokovic and murray will be consistantly winning slams in there late 30s
Good point. :eek:

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
I took "1990s generation" as meaning: Tomic, Raonic, Dimitrov, etc and that whole group of hype. I consider Thiem, Vesely, Kyrgios, Zverev, Coric, Quinzi, Kokkinakis, Koslov, and others to be a totally different later generation although they are still born in the 1990s.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
This

And they're already struggling to win in the late 20's. :cool:

·
Registered
550 Posts
As it's been mentioned already, 1990's generation first slam is kind of an odd choice, because, unlike the other things, it's pretty much inevitable that at some point, a guy who was born in the 90s will win a slam. Unless you limit that to Dimitrov, Raonic and Tomic (or something along those lines), it's really random. Can't see us skipping straight from the Nadal/Djokovic/Murray/DelPo generation to kids born in 2000 winning slams :D
If you're asking which of these things will happen first, then it would be a different scenario altogether.

Things I think have a good chance of happening (in no particular order)
- Nadal's 1st WTF
- Djokovic's 1st RG
- Nadal's 2nd AO
- Murray's 3rd slam (if he doesn't get excessive health problems, I don't think he'll really go the rest of his career without winning another slam. He's still only 27.)

Things I think might/might not happen (toss-up)
- Federer's 18th slam (didn't think he'd win another one before Wimbledon, but he came so damn close, I guess you can never totally count him out.)

Things I don't think will happen (in no particular order)
- Wawrinka's 2nd slam
- Djokovic 1st gold medal in Rio (this is still two years away, so I hope someone will truly break through in that time frame. Would be pretty sad to still have Nadal/Djokovic, maybe Murray, as the top guys then. Also, he's only got this one chance - RG is every year. So I don't think he'll win it.)
- Nadal's 3rd Wimbledon (based on his last showings at SW19, I'd say this is nearly impossible.)

Things I think have really no chance of happening
- Del Potro's 2nd slam (sadly, I think injuries fucked this guy up way too much. It would be a monumental effort if he could really come and grab another slam, but I highly doubt it. And I really like this guy.)

So, let's see how accurate those were in about five years ;)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Actually this thread is very interesting. Despite future hatred and bias.

10th Rafa winning Wimbledon. Not going to happen. Not because he cant, its because he doesnt have theknees like he use to.
9th Hes been very unlucky with injuries so his 2nd Slam will probably not happen.
8th He had a great shot to win 18th, but in an ERA where Rafa and Nole rule you need to beat them. Maybe next year.
7th Its very rare for lightning to strike twice, not likly here for Stan.
6th Alot of variables need to happen for Rafa to get double slam.
5th Only Nole can prevent Rafa from a WTF
4th its its on clay Nole wont win his Gold
3rd Right now Murray wont win another slam. But he still has time and knows how to do it.
2nd 90+s player will win SLAM eventually, who and when thats the million dollar question.
1st Nole will win RG, again not sure if 15 or 16

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually this thread is very interesting. Despite future hatred and bias.

10th Rafa winning Wimbledon. Not going to happen. Not because he cant, its because he doesnt have theknees like he use to.
9th Hes been very unlucky with injuries so his 2nd Slam will probably not happen.
8th He had a great shot to win 18th, but in an ERA where Rafa and Nole rule you need to beat them. Maybe next year.
7th Its very rare for lightning to strike twice, not likly here for Stan.
6th Alot of variables need to happen for Rafa to get double slam.
4th its its on clay Nole wont win his Gold
3rd Right now Murray wont win another slam. But he still has time and knows how to do it.
2nd 90+s player will win SLAM eventually, who and when thats the million dollar question.
1st Nole will win RG, again not sure if 15 or 16
You said it yourself; it has been mostly about luck with lately for Nadal in Australia, and that might change eventually..It isn't about his game like in Wimbledon..So i don't understand why Rafa winning a 2nd AO is that low in your ranking..

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
This is a true but somewhat obvious point. I think the intent of the poll was to ask which of these would be achieved first. I think the original question should be modified accordingly.

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
1- Djokovic's 1st RG
2- Nadal's 2nd AO
3- Nadal's 1st WTF
4- Djokovic's 1st Gold Medal in Rio'16
6- Federer's 18th Slam
7- Murray's 3rd Slam
8- Delpotro's 2nd Slam
9- Wawrinka's 2nd Slam
10- Nadal's 3rd Wimbledon

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
1990s generation 1st Slam - I think more likely the younger end of the 90s generation, and sooner rather than later. The signs of the breakthrough happening are there, just matter of time. Next chance comes up next few weeks (and then AO), so of all the events the most likely...

Nadal's 1st WTF - Doubt it for this year, but you never know - only good, injury free form has really been RG. The next few weeks will tell, but on the face of it not going to change anytime soon.
Nadal's 2nd AO - Unlikely - I just don't think his body is going to hold up. But...
Djokovic's 1st RG - entirely depends on Nadal holding up.

Unlikely but possible:

Federer's 18th Slam
Djokovic's 1st Gold Medal in Rio'16 - at 29? The younger end of the 90s gen has more chance.
Delpotro's 2nd Slam
Wawrinka's 2nd Slam

Not going to happen:

Murray's 3rd Slam
Nadal's 3rd Wimbledon

·
Registered
14,499 Posts

My Ranking:

3- Nadal's 1st WTF
6- Murray's 3rd Slam
GIGALOL
this possibilities have 0.0000001% chance now and had last year as well
you are truly delusional again even mentioning them, especially at places 3 + 6

though you are right with your basic assumption with being a close contest between Nadal's 2nd AO and Djoko's 1st RG
I would give the latter a much bigger chance, since a healthy Djokovic with right tactics might be even defeating Nadal on PC, while Nadal rarely have done truly well in Australia these recent years and don't think it will change next January

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
You nailed it, and only Federer can prevent Djokovic winning WTF again, since the other Top10 players are mugs indoors, especially on hard (btw even on carpet)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts