Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Mental Aspect is a defining feature of tennis and really separates the slam champions and masters winners from everyone else.

Some players come up with that passing shot when their opponent is at net with match point. Others find that Ace when they are break point down. Others can lob their 6ft+ opponent with ease and paint the back court.

Other players have the potential to achieve a lot, but always get wide eyed and poop their pants when it gets to 5-5 in the tiebreak. These players may even have match points, but figure out a way to lose. Maybe they give up before they get onto court, regardless of the their fitness levels or tennis abilities.

The players described in the last paragraph are infamous on MTF, often called chokers, mental midgets, lapdogs, etc.

Well let's take some time to recognize the Head Cases of tennis and rank them. (this is not meant to offend anyone)..

These 10 players below are known chokers, mental cases, lapdogs, or just players that don't have that extra mental umph.

Rank the "Mental Ward"

Almagro
Fognini
Tomic
Berdych
Ferrer
Querrey
Anderson
Gasquet
Monflis
Dimitrov

This is my "objective list" of players who are mental cases, rank them from 1 to 10 on the basis of "mentality".

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
In terms of clutchness, I'd say : Tomic > Monfils > Fognini > Dimitrov > Berdych > Ferrer > Gasquet > Querrey > Almagro > Anderson

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
My list from bad to worst (i.e. I think that is from worst to rock bottom):

Anderson
Berdych
Ferrer
Monflis
Dimitrov
Querrey
Tomic
Gasquet
Fognini
Almagro

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
In terms of clutchness, I'd say : Tomic > Monfils > Fognini > Dimitrov > Berdych > Ferrer > Gasquet > Querrey > Almagro > Anderson
Did you miss Tomic's last match?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
lol without verdasco this list doesn't make any sense

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Djokovic at RG should be a special addition

Reactions: Noleta

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Weak list. At least some of those players can show extreme signs of mental fortitute when they want to.

·
Registered
27,246 Posts
Keep trying Kowchi.

·
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kowchi is good for the game; from that position, he's singlehandedly and authoritatively making half of MTF rules null and void :lol:
It's all part of the plan ;)

There is no rules against clowning and I am entitled to my opinion.

Instead of posting your own thoughts, people are more apt to critique. Feel free to make your own lists, mugs. Typical MTF.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Kowchi how is your Tennis Elbow career going? We need to play again soon

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
GM is 99,9% clowning anyway, one might as well ban the whole of MTF for having created an user. At least it's not a GOAT debate thread :yeah:

Dimitrov doesn't belong in such a list, he's got his moments, but he's far from these guys. Does Gasquet even get into choking positions anymore?

also, obligatory mention for Verdasco, Monaco, Troicki, Haase (and the other Dutchies... sorry), PHM should be in.

·
Registered
13,808 Posts
How is Tomic a headcase? He's quite clutch. His problems as a player in the past have been entirely motivation-based, not mental.

If it's a clutch ranking of these players that is the purpose of it, my list would be much the same as Federer-Fan's earlier. But there are several other chokers on tour that should be there instead of some of these guys (Tomic/Monfils/Dimitrov).

·
Registered
27,246 Posts
If Tomic was a headcase he wouldn't even have made it into professional tennis.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
lol without verdasco this list doesn't make any sense
this.

almagro and verdasco by a country mile. everyone else fades in comparison.

btw, I missed those years when both of them were playing with Dunlop equipment and will always regret Dunlop not coming with a commercial like "so easy, a cavemen can do it" instead of Geico.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts