Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which is best?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there are many players at the top of the game listed at this height I thought about making a thread about their service strengths. The listed height obviously isn't 100% accurate with all those players, but I still think it's well possible to rank their serves. Haven't checked any numbers for this, so feel free to use FS%, number of aces or some other fitting stats to convince me that I'm wrong.

Querrey >> Zverev > del Potro > Cilic >> Jarry > Khachanov > Medvedev

Querrey: IMO his serve has everything, great placement, pace and is tough to read, only thing that can hold him back is his FS%. In fact he's the only player in this list where I wouldn't disagree when he's called a bot.

Zverev: Put him second but clearly inferior to Querrey. It has great pace and the percentage is pretty high usually, but it's not that accurate IMO.

Del Potro: Even less accurate than Zverevs I'd say and also slower, but I think his percentage is pretty good normally which makes sense for him, because he basically only needs a neutral ball to the FH to be in charge of the point. Must be much better in service games won than Zverev for that reason too.

Cilic: Serves slower than Zverev and has a rather low FS% I think, but I'd rate his placement above the previous two. Put him only slightly below del Potro.

Jarry: Serve's mostly built for clay with a huge kick serve to set up his FH. Just put him above Khachanov but probably haven't seen enough of him to judge it properly.

Khachanov: Decent serve IMO, but nothing special in any department.

Medvedev: Inconsistent ball toss, average speed and rather low percentage, that's why I put him last.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
1. Cilic - maybe Querrey should be first. Tough one, but I go with slam winner, finalist, accomplishments at highest level.
2. Querrey - Really good serve, not destined for great deeds tho.
3. Zverev - not much variety, but it can be devastating.
4. Del Potro - same as above, maybe Delpo should be no.3.
5. Khachanov - Should be much better, given his height/strength.
6. Medvedev - considering ball toss, it's amazing - funky, as is the rest of his game.
7. Jarry - least tennis played at highest level + amateur abbreviated serve from technical standpoint.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'd say Cilic and Zverev have the most exceptional serves from the list, they tend to be deadly.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Raonic should be there above all, if he applies a bit more gel it will make up for that 1" anyway.
Technically I could have added him to the list, but I would have excluded him from the poll anyway. Left out Querrey also because I thought he'd be too strong for the rest and Raonic is yet another level above him. Would have been far too easy for the poll. ;)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Querrey, Delpo, Zverev, Cilic, Jarry, Khachanov, Medvedev

Querrey is clearly far better than the rest.

Zverev's serve is great so far and it will only become better. He won Madrid facing only one BP. Still a bit worse than Delpo, imo.

Cilic's first serve is good enough, but it often deserts him in critical moments. Also, his second serve is a bit underwhelming for a 198 guy.

And I agree with the OP on the last 3.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,610 Posts
Querrey is the best, served 28 aces against Kei in 3 sets, and hit 8 aces in a row once. Enough said.

Cilic comes next in potency.

Zverev fairly reliable and uses the trajectory well. However the finishing could be better. Also have those AO against Raonic moments :eek:

Del Potro: good but I never felt his game was built off that.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Querrey is the best, served 28 aces against Kei in 3 sets, and hit 8 aces in a row once. Enough said.

Zverev fairly reliable and uses the trajectory well. However the finishing could be better. Also have those AO against Raonic moments :eek:

For me it's important how do you do on biggest stage. 2 GS SF best career result, Zero masters titles. Useless for a guy with "best serve" at 198 cm.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
For me it's important how do you do on biggest stage. 2 GS SF best career result, Zero masters titles. Useless for a guy with "best serve" at 198 cm.
what does that have to do with his serve? lol

how many slam semis does karlovic have?

·
52,610 Posts
He beat Djokovic, Nadal and Murray in a 12 month stretch. Take a seat.

This thread is purely about serve, the other guys had to have had more than just serve for their success, just saying.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
what does that have to do with his serve? lol

how many slam semis does karlovic have?
Zero, that's why his serve is best ignored. Serve also takes in account 2nd serve, which is imo equally or more important, and he only 16th all time. Pathetic, considering he's a giant.

·
52,610 Posts
I love Sam but he's a nobody. I don't care for 3 victories in 12 month or 8 aces in a row or how many aces vs Kei.
That's not what this thread is about though. Just give them the serve and see how often they win pts by it outright. Querrey would likely lead. Rank by success or overall game, then different story.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Querrey has an incredibly weak 2nd serve considering how potent his 1st serve is, which is far above the other players here.

I can see Zverev becoming very dominant on his serve in years to come.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
That's not what this thread is about though. Just give them the serve and see how often they win pts by it outright. Querrey would likely lead. Rank by success or overall game, then different story.
Djokovic has better service game won % than him. Cilic has 1% lower but considering amount of high level matches he played I rank him higher. You're all blinded by 1st serve and aces.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

He actually holds the record for consecutive aces (10). :p

His serve-peak is just scary, when he has a great rhythm he basically only hits first serves and all of them with his insane accuracy. I think against Murray in Wim 17 when serving the match out he hit something like 14 aces in his last 4 service games. :lol:

I'd still rate it below Raonics generally though, he's just much more consistent with his serve IMO.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
1. Querrey. Epitome of a great serve, as mentioned it's only really let down by his regularly not so good FS%. He's the kind of player who can play really bad but because of his serve he might just win if the opponent also isn't having a great day. Can't say the same about other servers on the list, they don't have a good enough to serve to get far with "only" the serve. Acapulco 2017 was Querrey at his best, the serve was nearly unstoppable, even for Nadal at times, but obviously that week to beat 4 top 20 players it was more than the serve only.

2. Cilic. I think his serve is pretty underrated, it can be one of the hardest to read and when its working well there aren't many players who will get decent returns in against him. His wide serve into the deuce is just murderous, gives him a free forehand to put in any place he wants when he gets the serve right. His second serve though... more of a weakness compared to some of the others here. 2nd serve has gotten worse for him, it feels.

3. Del Potro. I like his serve as well, its actually really nicely suited for all surfaces as well, which is something that isn't true for all these guys. Grass might not be his best surface but the serve he has makes him a genuine contender for even Wimbledon.

4. Zverev/Khachanov. Can't really pick between them at the moment. Both have a very impactful serve but it also seem to be maybe the least consistent part of their games too. I tend to associate either of these playing badly with also serving badly. They'll pick up the consistency I am sure, but it harms both of them that their serve can lack it. I think Khachanov might actually have the slightly better first serve, but Zverev has a nicer second serve.

5. Jarry. As mentioned he's a big guy made for clay (not uncommon for big players to actually like the clay though, ask Isner). His serve enables him to pretty safely play serve and volley points and to be honest he is one of the more likely players to throw that into his game, he can play that way. Just doesn't seem to be as effective as the others outside of clay though, and we're yet to see him have a big breakthrough.

6. Medvedev. It's not a bad serve by any means, I do wish he would improve his ball toss OR at least stop and toss it again when it's going like seriously off target. But no, he prefers to just get on with it and serve with whatever toss he has. Thats his style and nature though and considering he does something like that, his serve isn't bad. He's the best returner on this list probably, so if he can tidy the serve up... could be a player to fear.

I didn't use stats either. Its more fun to go from memory and just give an opinion sometimes, stats are great and very helpful but its nice to form our own opinions based on what each of us watches and pays attention to.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Djokovic has better service game won % than him. Cilic has 1% lower but considering amount of high level matches he played I rank him higher. You're all blinded by 1st serve and aces.
He's just by far the weakest baseliner among those players. His BH is rather weak and his FH while it can be quite dangerous is a ballbashy and wild shot most of the time.

Del Potro, Cilic and Zverev on the other hand are elite baseliners and pretty good returners (Zverev and Cilic in particular). Funnily Zverev actually ranks higher in return games won than in service games won despite his height and his serve. Shows how poorly he can be in backing up his serve (*cough* Monte Carlo 2018 *cough*).

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
He's just by far the weakest baseliner among those players. His BH is rather weak and his FH while it can be quite dangerous is a ballbashy and wild shot most of the time.

Del Potro, Cilic and Zverev on the other hand are elite baseliners and pretty good returners (Zverev and Cilic in particular). Funnily Zverev actually ranks higher in return games won than in service games won despite his height and his serve. Shows how poorly he can be in backing up his serve (*cough* Monte Carlo 2018 *cough*).
Sam can GOAT like a boss, literally unplayable, return included. But push comes to shove and when stakes get higher he'll flop like programmed.

But what I've heard from various coaches is this: your serve is only as good as your 2nd serve. That's the truth.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts