Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[ame]https://vimeo.com/281203620[/ame]

Hello, it's me, the original creator of the infamous Rafole: Evolution of a Handshake video that was retweeted by the Tennis Channel and was one the 7th most retweeted sports video in the world at it's peak (in 2011 lol)

After Wimbledon copyright vultures came after the original youtube upload (youtube . com/watch?v=NkfIuA46V0Q) before it could amass 100,000 views, I thought the video was lost forever because the computer I created it on was old and died about a year after the video. Then I was clearing some of my old stuff from my mom's basement and found my external hard drive and a copy of the video. Now it is reuploaded to Vimeo for all you newbies to enjoy.

FYI, it's mostly 2010-2011 and I have no plans to update it because it took me 4 hours just to create a compilation from those matches, let alone all the ones that have taken place since :shrug: Anyone who wants to be my worthy successor is welcome.

Have the Rafole handshakes improved or declined since the creation of this video? Discuss.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I feel they had a better friendship before Nole went on that dominating win streak in 2011. But that's just normal I think, things can't stay like that (being tight friends). Novak turned out to be Rafas biggest rival and vice versa.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
FYI, it's mostly 2010-2011 and I have no plans to update it because it took me 4 hours just to create a compilation from those matches, let alone all the ones that have taken place since :shrug: Anyone who wants to be my worthy successor is welcome.

Have the Rafole handshakes improved or declined since the creation of this video? Discuss.
Well, the narrative kind of ends at AO 2012, where Rafa came over to Djokovic side after the match, which is generally a move showing respect. Then Nole gave Rafa water at the ceremony iirc. After that Rafa started winning again and Djokovic wasn't sour really. Still a classic video ofc.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've actually never seen this video, I expected it to be worse. The handshake itself is fine, but it's clear that Nadal wants to get the hell away from him, it's quite funny seeing it like that. Those 7 losses in a row were tough, including 3 slams as well.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
One of the most misguided videos ever

·
Registered
904 Posts
I remember watching it back in the day. I also remember Nadal holding back his tears after losing 2nd clay masters to Nole at the trophy presentation as well. Good times.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Shows you how strong their "friendship" was when Nole went 13-2 on Nadal off of clay since 2011.

I remember the video and those classless handshakes.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Maybe it would be suitable to add few more handshakes from the recent past to see how things have evolved.

Btw. I don't see any clear trend in that video. Rafa's handshake in Rome iirc was quite cold, but on the contrary - the Wimbledon one was pretty good. Generally - maybe some of those handshakes were cold, but still nothing disrespectful cannot be found.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts