Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw/see no prediction or post-match threads for Rafa's match with Dusan or Diego, and I suppose it's just a foregone conclusion etc. so this is to discuss his level here.

He's been off for six months. I think given that fact his level is just extraordinary. I see him hitting some of his best ISOCC FFs, a shot that is not always readily available. His BH is flawless. His serve is great. The only shot that doesn't seemed honed is the dropshot, that surely will come.

OK PCB isn't primarily a clay player and was tired, but clay was Dusan's best surface, and last year he made the MC final. Rafa shredded them both. We'll see about diego, but i feel very confident Rafa wins this tournament and RG based on his initial level here, which to my eye is as high as it was last year after playing four clay tournaments.

Beast mode incoming!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I agree that Rafa looks very impressive so far, Schwartzman should be more of a real test as he can play top 10 level claycourt tennis when he's on. If Nadal steamrolls him, then it's probably a sign that he's in similar form as 2017/18 clay season. First two matches were also good last year, but he struggled big-time against Pella and it foreshadowed a poor start to the clay season.

·
justice for all
16,802 Posts
I agree that Rafa looks very impressive so far, Schwartzman should be more of a real test as he can play top 10 level claycourt tennis when he's on. If Nadal steamrolls him, then it's probably a sign that he's in similar form as 2017/18 clay season. First two matches were also good last year, but he struggled big-time against Pella and it foreshadowed a poor start to the clay season.
Diego is playing quite poorly after this hiatus so unless he raises his level considerably any other result than a emphatic 2-set win by Rafa would be a surprise.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
It is impossible to really judge Nadal's level from these two matches. It was certianly not bad, but neither PCB nor Lajovic are even close to a challenge for him on clay.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So Far He Is Looking In Great Form 💪

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Diego is playing quite poorly after this hiatus so unless he raises his level considerably any other result than a emphatic 2-set win by Rafa would be a surprise.
I guess, it also depends on Rafa's level though, Diego is at least the kind of player that makes you fight for every game, and he's troubled Rafa in the past. Hard to find a better test other than Djokovic, Shapovalov/Dimitrov matches seem even more NID.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, steamrolling Diego would mean something for sure.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
From what I've seen, I think he's currently in AO 19 form. He's looking great and can't drop a set, though he only faced players who don't have the weapons to hurt him. Let's see what happens in the final when he faces his first real test and someone with the game to beat him.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I've seen, I think he's currently in AO 19 form. He's looking great and can't drop a set, though he only faced players who don't have the weapons to hurt him. Let's see what happens in the final when he faces his first real test and someone with the game to beat him.
LOL! That's HC--and he was off injured, which is different also, because he couldn't practice through much of his down time. you are in for a rude awakening if you think that applies here and now.

That wasn't my question anyway, about thefinal, but I look forward to getting to you when he puts Djok away, as he did last year, without much difficulty.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You won't know until the final.
Of course you can talk about his form now. otherwise there'd be nothing to talk about on this site till finals.
If it was Fed, you'd go on and on and on ...
but that's OK, you have good taste in film

·
Registered
315 Posts
Is it good enough to beat everyone in Rome? Yes, probably.

Good enough to challenge Slamrev in RG? No. Not even close.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
He’s playing great but, Nadal is so efficient in destroying guys with no weapons on clay. All we can say for sure is that he’s playing well. If he beats Diego 2 and 1 or something it will really say he’s going to be very very hard to beat.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it good enough to beat everyone in Rome? Yes, probably.

Good enough to challenge Slamrev in RG? No. Not even close.
that's hysterical chokerev barely got to the final, and managed 5 sets on some breif redlining and thiem choking

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi again, just watched Djok lose a set to Koepfer, barely handled Kraj 1rst set
he has looked very poor here
and actually in CINcy beat the same guys Pospisil beat at the USO for a Masters

rude awakening coming!

·
Registered
315 Posts
that's hysterical chokerev barely got to the final, and managed 5 sets on some breif redlining and thiem choking
He had unfortunate oppnents that he struggles with and was low on match practice and confidence.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts