Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprised that no one has seen fit to post a thread about this but if Rafa wins his 12th RG title on Sunday, he would become the only player, male or female, in tennis history to hold more than 11 titles at a single Grand Slam event. Currently, Rafa is sharing the record with Margaret Court who has 11 Australian Open titles. It would likely be one of the hardest records to break for decades to come.
Also, a win tomorrow would put Rafa at overall 18 grand slam titles, only two behind Federer, a gap that could be bridged in the future.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
No one has posted a thread, but every one who closely follows the sport is aware of what you posted in the OP.

By the way, comparison of Rafa's 11 RGs with Court's 11 AOs is not proper as you are comparing ATP titles with WTA titles, and men play 5 sets at grand slams while women play 3 sets.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't comparing them but merely mentioned that Margeret Court currently holds the record of having most titles at a single Grand Slam event. It's not a matter of qualitative comparison since it's quite obvious there's a big difference between the pre-open era women's tennis and open-era men's tennis.
If Rafa wins it tomorrow he will officially hold that record and stand alone.

·
Registered
592 Posts
True enough. That’s why I was saying it’s relevant nominally. I don’t think it factors into the goat debate at all though.

I wasn't comparing them but merely mentioned that Margeret Court currently holds the record of having most titles at a single Grand Slam event. It's not a matter of qualitative comparison since it's quite obvious there's a big difference between the pre-open era women's tennis and open-era men's tennis.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Rafa has been officially holding that record and stand alone from the time he won 7 RGs (to go past Borg's 6 RGs) and 8 RGs (to go past Sampras's 7 Wimbledons), and if he wins tomorrow (highly likely) will be an addition and extension to that record.

They don't mix ATP records with WTA records, since they both are two different and separate tours; do they?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True enough. That’s why I was saying it’s relevant nominally. I don’t think it factors into the goat debate at all though.
It's an awesome record in itself, not in the GOAT debate yes. I am not obsessed with the grand slam record, GOAT is very arbitrary in my opinion.

Rafa has been officially holding that record and stand alone from the time he won 7 RGs (to go past Borg's 6 RGs) and 8 RGs (to go past Sampras's 7 Wimbledons), and if he wins tomorrow (highly likely) will be an addition and extension to that record.

They don't mix ATP records with WTA records, since they both are two different and separate tours; do they?
Still better to hold the joint record, in the history of tennis, regardless of whether it's ATP, WTA, open era or not. At least for me, it's more impressive like that.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be. On clay.

And its not even close. Even with other 2 greats like Federer and Nole they had they chances but it was never mean to be.

And not to dwell on the past. Soderling was lucky to get a injured Rafa that day. Plus personall problems.
The loss to Nole was normal, given that year Rafa was in the midle of several injuries, and whenever he came back he got another.
Then the other he had to retire with a wrist injury.

But when healthy he has dominated RG for 15 years. Not even father time has come close to stoping Rafa.

But now there is a new threat. Thiem has beaten Rafa in Rome, Madrid and Barcelona. Not in the same year. But eventually he will do this. But those are small tournaments. Here Rafa is King. But Thiem will be there when Rafa passes the Torch.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Whether he wins tomorrow or not, no one will ever get close to his record at RG.
I am not sure why people say things like this, as if tennis will cease to exist in 100 years.

Can somebody post that photo of a 60 year old Nadal winning Roland Garros, please?

This is one of the images but there is a better one.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
because understandably no one cared about some pre modern female achievement

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I still dont believe he have 11 slams at the FO.. its pretty insane.
But if he will win tomorrow it will be 18 ~ 20 and that is very close.. if somehow he will win Wimbledon or USO he can tie it up in the AO (low chances) or FO 20.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Whether he wins tomorrow or not, no one will ever get close to his record at RG.
I am not sure why people say things like this, as if tennis will cease to exist in 100 years.
I very much doubt anyone will be anything like as dominant as Nadal at RG, or on clay in general, however long people continue to play tennis. Unless he's cloned, of course.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts