Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rafa fans, who would have thought after that Australian Open Final that our guy would end the year with two slams and the year end trophy? I know even if we pretended otherwise, that Djokovic loss was brutal and hurt something fierce. After all the injuries that followed and the slow start to the clay court season, I admit I had doubts creeping in. That will teach us, to stop doubting this Champion! This man who has proven all doubters and haters wrong over and over. Come on fellow Rafa fans lets revel in it! Gloat till it chokes the haters.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
I have never doubted, but so much bashing here, and under appreciation from his own fans, which maybe, at last, will change.
IT has been a glorious year.
Such a shame he couldn't continue WTF semis due to Med losing, but nonetheless. YE #1; I have total faith Rafa will nab slams and masters next year.
We should start as of now saying GOAT like the federistas did ten years ago long before all the records were in.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I must confess I am still slightly in ruins over Nadal's USO win. Medvedev is really letting me down lately. On the bright side at least Federer fans are feeling the pressure of 20-19.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Hell of a year.
Didnt start the way we wanted. Never droped a set until Final and there Nole was too much that day.
Then came the injury. Not the worst one he had. But mentally it was by far his worst injurues. Because doubts starting to mesh in his head.
MC, Barcelona and Madrid were the continuation of those doubts. But he fought and fought And regained his confidence in Rome. RG was just a formality.
Wimby was a suprise. Montreal was a good sign.
USOpen were Nole and Federer droped like flies it made it look easy. But Daniil turned out to be a hard opponnent.
Then came wrist. In Bercy looked good, But adbominal strain cut his preparation for WTF.
Nole helped out woth YEC 1.

Not a bad season. Only finished lower then SF once. Very consistent.

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
384 Posts
A truly magical season given how it started. There was such elation and excitement when Rafa was cruising through AO after coming off injury and then to be whooped by Novak hurt immensely. Then, the injuries happened and he was looking extremely shaken/beat down while losing on clay of all things. The fact that he contemplated shutting down his season in Barcelona only to change his attitude is amazing. He delivered a bagel and breadstick to Novak in Rome. He delivered masterclass performances at the French including resisting a fiery clay monster in Thiem. Wimbledon was a great run and gave his fans hope as he stayed healthy throughout.

Rogers Cup was awesome as he vanquished a red hot Fabio in a come from behind effort and then destroyed Med in the final; all of this on the fastest surface this season (not sure how ATP finals compares to it). US Open was a dream and the title even more sweet because he was on the absolute brink only to produce clutch and brave tennis to win it. Paris Masters was unfortunate as he had to withdraw in the SF despite not losing a set. I will remember the ATP finals as him finding his way against two young up and coming stars despite not having his best stuff and the fact he fought from behind in both. I’ll also remember it as clinching his 5th YE #1, becoming the oldest player to finish as #1, and become the all time leader in most weeks at 1 or 2.

VAMOS RAFA!!!!! May 2020 be just as sweet or even sweeter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Rafa fans, who would have thought after that Australian Open Final that our guy would end the year with two slams and the year end trophy? I know even if we pretended otherwise, that Djokovic loss was brutal and hurt something fierce. After all the injuries that followed and the slow start to the clay court season, I admit I had doubts creeping in. That will teach us, to stop doubting this Champion! This man who has proven all doubters and haters wrong over and over. Come on fellow Rafa fans lets revel in it! Gloat till it chokes the haters.
Tbh, I didn't even suffer from the ao loss as it was so lopsided. The other 2 five setters at the AO tho. Hard to swallow

·
Your visions will happen
48,056 Posts
A very strong season indeed. I was not very optimistic at the early part of the year where he could not even play a practice match without getting injured pre-AO. But that ankle surgery finally he got done last off season, then he found his way to the finals in AO, got hurt again in IW, expected, started slow on clay and then got hot as he usually does, played well even after Wimbledon, and showed a high level in the Tsitsipas match today, very optimistic going into Pique Cup and off season prep for AO

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Rafa reached to the F in both HC grand slams.. of course 1 he won and 1 he lost.
I just cant believe still that he is just 1 away from Roger.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Amazing year indeed. Two slams, reached the semifinals at every tourney except one and WTF. And the finishing year end number 1.

And the best part of his year was denying Novak year end number 1, something that I'm sure crushed Novak soul. Obviously Nadal wanted year end number 1 himself but even if he would of came up short it wouldn't of been soul crushing for him the same way it is for Novak. Because despite being the best tennis player in the world unlike Novak he doesn't see himself as a god or anything special. When you have that frame of mind when you miss out on a big achievement it's much easier to take.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yes, it was a great year, specially the RG win since the clay season was extremely shaky by his standards. Can only hope that next year is as good as 2019.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, brilliant year. High point was that USO final, low point was probably the Monte Carlo loss v Fognini, that was rough. Some great matches in there as well: RG final, USO final, WTF v Medvedev, getting a bagel v Djokovic. And closing the gap to 20-19 makes next year very exciting as well. Let’s hope he can finish the year well helping Spain to another Davis cup title, and then go into next year chasing history.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Well, I wasn't even too disappointed with the outcome of AO final. Sure, was bad to lose in such a manner but I didn't even expect Rafa to reach the final after everything that happened in the previous season. Maybe it hurt more because he was so convincing in the earlier rounds but I think he didn't face a significant challenge before the final so when he did, he faced the most difficult opponent there is on that court and the outcome was, although bad, not a surprise.
The worst period for me was after MC and then Barcelona when I was really scared, also some shameless gloating by resident Rafa haters here irritated me even more. As Rafa said himself many times, Rome was the turning point in his fortunes for this season. Everything just changed for the better after Rome. All in all, a spectacular season for Rafa at the age of 33, he's having a stellar late-career contrary to all predictions. In many ways, he's more consistent than ever and Moya really deserves the credit for adapting his game and preserving his body.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Some fun facts regarding year-end number 1 in recent years. Whenever Rafa finished the year at. no 1 it was in a multi-slam season. In 2008 he won 2 slams, as in 2013, 2017, and now 2019. Four of his 5 year-end no.1 he won two slams in a season, the only exception being 2010 when he had won 3 slams.

Federer's year-end no.1 came in 2004, 05, 06, 07, and 09. He hasn't finished the year at no.1 spot for a full 10 years. It's a pretty telling stat if you ask me because nobody can claim Federer was 'old' in 2010 and up to 2011-12 when he was 30/31, younger than Rafa and Djok are now. From this, it's obvious he couldn't compete with Rafa and Djok for the top spot during all the years of their domination. Rafa, on the other hand, wrestled the top spot from Federer in 2008 when both were at their peak. Djoko wrestled no.1 also in a similar fashion.

Back to year-end no.1, Federer finished as no.1 3 times when he won 2 slams and 2 times when he won 3. Djokovic, 2011, 12, 14, 15, 18. Interestingly, unlike Fedal who never finished at no.1 in a season in which they won less than 2 slams, Djokovic did it 2 times (2012, 2014) when he won only 1 slam. Two times when he won 3 and once when he won 2.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts