Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frech newspaper l'Équipe reported this a few hours ago already. How come nobody has started a thread about it yet? To me it's big news. Tbh I expected him to call it a season.

What do you guys think? Is he playing Bercy to prepare for London because he feels he has a good shot when Djokovic might be tired after his run for number 1?

I don't expect Nadal to play HC anymore if he is not 100% healthy. At this point of his career it would be foolish to risk it...

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I don't think this is a good idea myself, but from what I had read I knew Rafa wanted to come back for Paris and the WTF.

·
Registered
312 Posts
He’s had 2 months off why wouldn’t he play? Was there ever any official report on what his injury was? I have no doubt he was injured but the injury could have been exasperated somewhat due to the losing of his match at the US. I feel like if Nadal thinks he’s ready to play Paris then he probably could have even come back early. He’s really left it as long as he can in terms of the battle for #1. I really hope he pushes to do good. I feel like if he gets enough game time in Paris he could be a chance at WTF if he gets a favourable draw. Year end #1 and WTF would almost be as valuable as a slam at this point in Nadals career.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The only reason and good thing about Rafa playing in SA vs Nole is that he is healthy. Because if not just cancel or postpone it.

Just wondering how much they are both getting. Not just a Mil or 2. Maybe even more with all this crap.

·
Registered
26,785 Posts
I did not want Rafa to play Bercy, this tournament was always painful for him. If he is healthy, I would prefer him to come straight to London. Rafa does not need warm up tournaments to get ready. But that's his decision, I guess he knows better. Some things change, they say :lol:

·
Registered
57,595 Posts
He was not dumb at all actually. That's a good example of smart scheduling.
Djokovic hasn't overplayed by any means this year. I think playing Beijing/Tokyo would have been smarter actually but giving Nadal the lead going into Paris was so unnecessary. He's still probably the favorite but I'd feel like it was pretty much locked down had he won a title this week or then.

·
|
14,285 Posts
He’s had 2 months off why wouldn’t he play? Was there ever any official report on what his injury was?
The injury was nothing new, just the same thing as usual for the last 10 years, contusion in tendon, it was officially reported.

Why would Djokovic be tired? He has played only one tournament since the USO. Novak will be just fine. The odds of Nadal achieving greater results than Djokovic at Paris and WTF are very low so no worries for me.
Well, odds have no impact on reality.

·
Registered
205 Posts
https://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Rafael-nadal-sera-a-bercy-pour-le-rolex-paris-masters/952661

Well, actually this article has nothing new. The article says that "The official confirmation of Nadal's presence in Paris is expected shortly." It means that there is no confirmation of Nadal, so Nadal may or may not play in Paris Bercy. I think every fan of Nadal knew that "Nadal may or may not play in Paris Bercy."

The article also says that "but, according to our information, the world number 1 will finally be the rendezvous of Paris, where he has never imposed."
However, a tournament host usually says like this, before the withdrawal is confirmed, to attract tennis fans.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't think there has been an official confirmation yet.

·
|
14,285 Posts
https://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Rafael-nadal-sera-a-bercy-pour-le-rolex-paris-masters/952661

Well, actually this article has nothing new. The article says that "The official confirmation of Nadal's presence in Paris is expected shortly." It means that there is no confirmation of Nadal, so Nadal may or may not play in Paris Bercy. I think every fan of Nadal knew that "Nadal may or may not play in Paris Bercy."

The article also says that "but, according to our information, the world number 1 will finally be the rendezvous of Paris, where he has never imposed."
However, a tournament host usually says like this, before the withdrawal is confirmed, to attract tennis fans.
Not in this case, because the Paris tournament director has been driving fans away-
https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Rafael_Nadal/61855/paris-masters-tournament-director-on-status-of-rafa-nadal-s-knee-injury/
Guy Forget, the director of the last calendar Masters 1000s, admitted Nadal may pull out of Paris.

'It's not because you are practicing that you are able to compete at that level,' Forget said. 'You can hit the ball right but moving from one side to the other on the court is different.

And if you are not at 100%, you cannot play. Especially for Rafa who is one of the best defenders. In the past Rafa has always tried his best in Paris, last year he was a little bit injured and he still came. Like with Roger, we really hope he can make it but if it's his physical condition his bad, we would wish him the best for the next season.

·
Your visions will happen
47,123 Posts
The plan was always Paris and WTF but I will believe it when I see it. If he is good to go then it will be fun next week for the 2 tournament showdown of Nole Rafa

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I didn't expect anything else. If he's able to play he'll play - YE#1 is still on the line after all.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts