Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
In the context of playing 55 matches, only THREE were on grass (because we hardly have a grass season), and Djokovic leads 2-1 on grass.
So this rivalry is essentially about hardcourt and claycourt.
So your revelation is really that Djokovic won majority of their hardcourt meetings, and Rafa won majority of their clay meetings.
Djokovic has whopped Nadal in the H2H over the last 10 years. There is no debate or discussion to be had. I'm sure that's frustrating for Nadal fans, but it's just a fact. It was frustrating for Federer fans when Nadal was dominating their H2H. It's frustrating for Djokovic fans that he's behind Federer and Nadal. That's life. Worse things happen to people.

·
|
14,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Djokovic has whopped Nadal in the H2H over the last 10 years. There is no debate or discussion to be had. I'm sure that's frustrating for Nadal fans, but it's just a fact. It was frustrating for Federer fans when Nadal was dominating their H2H. It's frustrating for Djokovic fans that he's behind Federer and Nadal. That's life. Worse things happen to people.
The last 10 years?
After 2012 Australian Open, Rafa won 6 of their next 7 meetings.
And Rafa has won their last 3 clay meetings (and 2 of them were in straight sets), and in last year's clay meeting Rafa won 60 46 61, the first bagel in the history of their rivalry.

And that is why Djokovic continues to fail in the slam race, and the slamH2H.
Rafa leads the slam race 19-17, and Rafa leads the slamH2H 9-6.
Rafa even leads the US Open race 4-3, and the US Open H2H 2-1.
That is why Djokovic's fan base is so pathetically bitter all the time.

·
Premium Member
21,103 Posts
The last 10 years?
After 2012 Australian Open, Rafa won 6 of their next 7 meetings.
And Rafa has won their last 3 clay meetings (and 2 of them were in straight sets), and in last year's clay meeting Rafa won 60 46 61, the first bagel in the history of their rivalry.

And that is why Djokovic continues to fail in the slam race, and the slamH2H.
Rafa leads the slam race 19-17, and Rafa leads the slamH2H 9-6.
Continues to fail :ROFLMAO: At the end of 2010, Nadal had 9 GS and Djokovic had... 1. Now the gap is only 2 slams, can you do the basic math at least? Or as a Trumpist you are required to be oblivious to the facts...?

·
|
14,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Continues to fail :ROFLMAO: At the end of 2010, Nadal had 9 GS and Djokovic had... 1. Now the gap is only 2 slams, can you do the basic math at least? Or as a Trumpist you are required to be oblivious to the facts...?
News Flash: Djokovic transformed dramatically in 2011, so 95% of his slam titles were won from 2011 onwards....
Whereas Rafa has been winning since 2005, and peaked in 2008.
Oh, and despite all this, Rafa has won 2 of the last 3 year-end-#1s, and Rafa has won 2 of the last 3 US Opens, and 3 of the last 3 French Opens.
Given Rafa's absolute physical decline, Djokovic has failed to take advantage (or lacks the talent).

In fact Rafa's edge on clay is greater now than ever before, as he beat Djokovic in straight sets 2017, straight sets 2018, and 60 46 61 in 2019 the first bagel ever recorded in a match between Rafa and Djokovic.
Djokovic can't even beat Thiem at Roland Garros, and can barely survive Thiem at the AO of all places!

I know which player I'd rather be - Nadal - because Roland Garros is safe for the next few years, and he's ONE US Open title away from tying Connors-Sampras-Federer....
Meanwhile Djokovic had to save championships points at Wimbledon, and was down 2-sets-to-1 in the AO Final to a slamless opponent....
So it looks like Rafa is outlasting Djokovic, despite Rafa winning slams since 2005....

I supplied the facts that you lacked. All you supplied was bigotry.

·
Premium Member
21,103 Posts
I know which player I'd rather be - Nadal - because Roland Garros is safe for the next few years, and he's ONE US Open title away from tying Connors-Sampras-Federer....
Meanwhile Djokovic had to save championships points at Wimbledon, and was down 2-sets-to-1 in the AO Final to a slamless opponent....
So it looks like Rafa is outlasting Djokovic, despite Rafa winning slams since 2005....

I supplied the facts that you lacked. All you supplied was bigotry.
What kind of bigotry is saying that Djokovic used to trail 8 slams and now only 2? You don't even know what that word means, you just heard Trump using it :ROFLMAO: Not to mention that Djokovic has far more weeks at #1, multiple WTFs and is already a better masters player having won all of them. Nothing wrong with being "King of Clay" though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Since 2011 Djokovic turned the H2H against nadal and federer, especially on hard and grass, not to mention he is the strongest opposition nadal faced on clay in his career(between 2011-2016 novak was nadals equal in best of 3 even on clay, now novak is clearly no match for nadal on clay, and I would rate thiem above novak on clay right now). Federers last win over novak in a GS was 8 years ago and nadal beat djokovic off clay twice since 2011(both came on summer 2013), and the last set rafa took from novak on hard courts was in USO 2013 final which nadal won.

All 3 had declined since their best days, while they improved parts of their games to stay relevant they are not the same players they used to be, nadals physical decline allowed federer to get the upper hand in their rivalry despite the 5 year age difference(out side of clay that is, on clay no one is better than nadal) recently(nadal did become more consistent on hard courts against the rest of the field than he was before).

Before 2011 novak was no match for nadal in best of 5(although they had some great matches) but in best of 3 they had many tough encounters and djokovic caused nadal many problems, even on clay he challenged him a few times, but nadal overall had the upper hand that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
All Novak really needs is one more HC major at either USO or AO & he’s surpassed Fed for the all time HC record & i like his chances at either or both. Then he was denied a very good chance at WB20 minus Fed to defend a consecutive 3rd time to become 3rd highest of modern era surpassing Borg so that may have to wait until 2021 but oh well, those r the breaks.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
All anyone needs to know about this "rivalry" is that 2013 is the only year from 2011-2020 that Nadal beat Novak away from clay. :ROFLMAO: Even on clay, Nadal only leads 8-7 from 2011-2020. Nadal is mostly really useless against prime Novak.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The idea of Nadal taking the Slam record while at the same time becoming the pigeon of Federer and Djokovic is bizarre, it should educate the critics to look more closely at logic and not simply depend on mere numbers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The idea of Nadal taking the Slam record while at the same time becoming the pigeon of Federer and Djokovic is bizarre, it should educate the critics to look more closely at logic and not simply depend on mere numbers.
Be careful there! Following that logic, someone could easily see Djokovic as the undisputed GOAT. He has ALL masters titles, all slams (in a row), positive H2H against biggest rivals..

·
Registered
400 Posts

Impossible, in a general way, it is "tards war" on all the threads with Federer as ultimate benchmark whereas he will not play before next season :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
If Rafa had a winning record over Djokovic at Wimbledon, then it would mean Rafa has a winning record over Djokovic at 3 of the 4 slams.
That's be pretty weird, considering Djokovic supposedly has a tactical match-up advantage over Rafa....
Whenever commentators talk about beating Rafa, they bring up Djokovic's backhand going hard into Rafa's forehand.
But Rafa was a 10-8 5th Set away from having a winning record over Djokovic at Wimbledon.
Bizarre.
You are obviously Nadal fan, but do you know / have you noticed by chance another interesting tidbit that Actually Rafa has won 2 out of last 3 US Open and is H2H 2:1 against Djokovic there?? Out of curiosity

·
|
14,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Rafa has a 10-4 h2h lead over Federer at slams, including 3-1 at the AO.
Rafa has a 9-6 h2h lead over Djokovic at slams, including 2-1 at the US Open.
Who is the pigeon?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Rafa has a 10-4 h2h lead over Federer at slams, including 3-1 at the AO.
Rafa has a 9-6 h2h lead over Djokovic at slams, including 2-1 at the US Open.
Who is the pigeon?
All Nadal's stats relate to before 2013 but it has all come crashing down since then. And without the clay skew even the earlier H2H would not exist. Nadal has great achievements don't get me wrong, but Federer and Djokovic are greater, sadly for you.

·
|
14,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
All Nadal's stats relate to before 2013 but it has all come crashing down since then. And without the clay skew even the earlier H2H would not exist. Nadal has great achievements don't get me wrong, but Federer and Djokovic are greater, sadly for you.
Yeah if you erase all of history prior to 2015, and if you exclude the 5 slams Rafa won from 2017-2019, and if you exclude Rafa's year-end-#1 in 2017, and Rafa's year-end-#1 in 2019.....Yeah you can make it work....

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Interesting that nobody mention THE strongest argument in Nadal's favor beside the clay domination.

·
|
14,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
5-time Canada Masters Champion.
4-time US Open Champion.
3-time Indian Wells Champion.
2-time Wimbledon Champion.
Australian Open Champion.
Olympic Singles Champion (hardcourt).
2010 Roland Garros Champion, 2010 Wimbledon Champion, 2010 US Open Champion.
2013 Canada Masters Champion, 2013 Cincinnati Champion, 2013 US Open Champion.

·
Your visions will happen
47,413 Posts
Interesting that nobody mention THE strongest argument in Nadal's favor beside the clay domination.
Only one with 2 slams on each surface. The true all surface king

Plus Olympics Gold Medal

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I'm not one to indulge in hypotheticals, but I'll just say that Nadal and Djokovic were never better together than the 2018 Wimbledon SF (I didn't watch the 2012 Australian Open F in its entirety due to work, so my apologies if any offense taken). Too many momentum shifts in this match to account for: Djokovic saving set points against and prevailing in the 3rd set tiebreak and heading into the night with a crucial 2-1 sets advantage, Rafa breaking Djokovic in the 4th set and Novak slamming his racquet into his shoe (at that moment, I knew "pissed off Novak" was back from his brief career blip lol), Nadal saving match point(s) and Djokovic holding from double break point down in the 5th, etc. There's a reason Wimbledon billed it the gentlemen's singles match of the decade (https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2019-12-20/matches_of_the_decade_gentlemens_singles.html).
I agree.
But let's remember those two Wimbledon oddity rules that definitely skewed the outcome Djok's way: closing the the roof on the 2nd day when the sun was shining!! idiotic tradition now reversed; and breaking the match in two at 11:00 pm in deference to Wimbledon residents bedtime!!!
But I have rewatched this match at least twice and I agree--hard to think of a Djokal where they both played this well.
They were very even AO 2012 but the tennis wasn't always pretty. RG semi 2013 is another case, but the tennis was pretty.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts