Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is his quest for immortality.

he wont say much about the slams record but what great warrior does not want to be the best of the best.

it has always been that way throughout all of human history.

the quest for the best of the best. the quest for immortality. the drive for true greatness.

I believe if he manages to capture his 18th major here, he is very likely to go after a total of 22-23 slams. he said last week that he wants to hang around for a long time. Carlos Moya also said that Rafa wants to play for a long time.

what are your own thoughts about this?

what kind of probability are you willing to assign to his 18th major here?

and what is the probability that he end ups with 22-23 slams.

you know what he has his eyes on the next RG crowns. that alone will give him 20, assuming he takes this U.S. Open.

everyone is welcome to speak his/her mind here. post away and have fun.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think you are right.
This US Open is his to lose and he'll make 18.
And if he plays a minimum of 3 years he'll definitely make at least 21.
Your 22-23 prediction is spot on. If he plays more than 4 years he can raise his total.
The only things he needs are motivation and will. And the clay warrior certainly has these

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think you are right.
This US Open is his to lose and he'll make 18.
And if he plays a minimum of 3 years he'll definitely make at least 21.
Your 22-23 prediction is spot on. If he plays more than 4 years he can raise his total.
The only things he needs are motivation and will. And the clay warrior certainly has these

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

it has been noted by some of his fellow players---Andy Murray among them---that he is the greatest physical specimen the sport has ever seen or known.

I am going to have to agree. he falls down all the time but he just keeps getting back up. that is why he is likely to get a few more slams if he can just capture this one.

and now it looks like he has developed a raging storm in his belly: he wants to improve and he wants to hang around as long as he can.

Roger may have inspired him.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I would have to agree also. If he is to win his 19th this week then it´s just a matter of time of when and where will he hold the slam record.
But Djokovic also has a say in this matter also. This week and the next few years also.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
according to his camp what he wants the most is another Australian Open.

so if he manages to capture this slam (U.S. Open) and the next Australian Open, slams record will likely fall at some point.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for the record he did not play all that well in Toronto.

1. he did not return well

2. he did not serve well

3. his down the line forehand was not exactly cooking

4. he was also a bit shaky off his backhand wing

I think he will be better at Flushing Meadows. he gets 5 sets to solve problems on the court. he is generally better at slams when he is healthy and fit and a bit more focused.

if he improves with each match and starts returning well by the quarterfinals, it will be difficult to deal with him.

·
6,246 Posts
No.

Even if he doesn't win the USO, he still has a huge chance to get for the slam record eventually.
Depends on how long he is going to keep winning RG. More than 3 more is OTT thinking, and that is not even allowing for Nole being a contender again next year on clay, and stopping this quest in it's tracks.
If he doesn't win the USO, the quest is iced imo.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depends on how long he is going to keep winning RG. More than 3 more is OTT thinking, and that is not even allowing for Nole being a contender again next year on clay, and stopping this quest in it's tracks.
If he doesn't win the USO, the quest is iced imo.

this one is absolutely key for Rafa going forward.

this could change everything.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
This USO is crucial. Djokovic is still a bit rusty, next year Djokovic will be sorta back to his best and Nadal will be one year older than him, thus a bit more declined. Also the young guns will be improving. Federer is not so sharp and those 5 losses in a row are a bit in the past already. It's a golden chance for Nadal to get closer to the slam count. With a couple of RG left in the tank and with the not so crazy at all possibility of Federer not winning a slam again, taking this will make him the favorite for the record.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Federer really needed to bag Wimbledon to keep the separation between him and Rafa.

now Rafa has a chance to gain some ground. I don't think Rafa is going to let this chance slip away.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
This USO is very important. If Federer wins then Rafa and Djokovic can never catch his slam count.

If Rafa wins then he’ll be just two back of Roger with the French Open lurking around the corner.

If Djokovic wins then it’s undeniable that the third era of Nole dominance has begun and no power on Earth except Rafa on clay can stop him from winning everything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.