Will Rafael Nadal reach 20+ slams?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In short, there are 3 questions for you to answer:

1) Will Nadal ever reach 20+ slams? See poll.
2) If yes, in what year and tournament will he win his 20th?
3) How many slams will Rafa end his career with?

If you answer correctly, you'll get a night out with Slade & SliceAce! :yeah:

This is a good time to create a thread like this, just after Wimbledon when people doubt Nadal the most, but let's face it - people always doubt Rafa no matter what. How many MTF users did sincerely ever believe he'd reach 14 GS titles? Almost no one. In fact, people always laughed at the prospect of Nadal surpassing Federer, but he's only 3 grand slam titles away from equaling him now.

There are currently only two tennis players in the world dominating, one of them is Nadal and the other one Djokovic, and looking at their performances in the last four years (16 grand slam tournaments they entered), they've done extremely well:

Novak Djokovic | Won = 6 | Final = 6 | SF = 3 | QF = 1
Winner: W14, A13, A12, U11, W11, A11
Final: R14, U13, W13, U12, R12, U11
Semifinal: R13, W12, R11
Quarterfinal: A14
Loss early: -

Rafael Nadal | Won = 8 | Final = 4 | QF = 1 | Early = 3
Winner: R14, U13, R13, R12, R11, U10, W10, R10
Final: A14, A12, U11, W11
Semifinal: -
Quarterfinal: A11
Loss early: W14, W13, W12

So Rafa has won 50% of the 16 last slams he's played, a remarkable result, and if he'd manage to keep this up for four more years he'd already be on 22 slams. But hey, say that he declines a bit, or say that the competition gets a little tougher, is it really that unlikely that he manages to surpass 20 slams? If history tells us anything, then it is that whatever Federer can do - Nadal can do better. If Roger can be competitive and reach a grand slam final at almost 33, then Nadal can win grand slam finals at 33. Especially Roland Garros, which, to be honest, is always his to lose.

My answers to these questions:

1) I'd be SHOCKED if he didn't. He's the most ambitious & passionate guy around and his drive for competition is second to none, also take into account that he owns every player on tour, especially in grand slams (with the exception of Wimbledon in the early rounds), and even if he'd get more long-term injuries we've already seen that they don't stop him, he always comes back regardless of what you throw at him. I personally think he'll be competitive and a potential threat for titles as long as he is still active.

2) 2017, Roland Garros

3) People often talk about declining and how Nadal is going to go down rapidly, but I don't share these arguments and feel they mostly just show people's limited thinking - and, by any means, people's wishful thinking. It's not exactly the first time people write him off, and we've all seen how that have gone. But I'll be cautious with my expectations and say that Nadal will end his career with 22 grand slam titles.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
If Nole and other players don't choke, Rafa will only win another FO, and that's it. Finished item. But I doubt it. We will know more after the AO open next year about his chances

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Stop being deluded. You'll be more disapointed that way. No fucking way Nadal reaches 20. At BEST 18 is what he CAN get. But certainly this cannot be Nadal's goal or even our (fans) goal. Let's focus on 15 and who knows if it's already in this year's USO. Stop creating deluded threads so reasonable posters and fans of Nadal, like me, won't get mixed in the confusion.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
If Nole and other players don't choke, Rafa will only win another FO, and that's it. Finished item. But I doubt it. We will know more after the AO open next year about his chances
Thank god there are another delusional Nadal haters to balanced the level of deluision of this thread :worship:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Nadal said he'll retire at 32. He averages 3 slams per 2 years. Without him winning this USO and significant decline he'll reach 20 GS.

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
Stop being deluded. You'll be more disapointed that way. No fucking way Nadal reaches 20. At BEST 18 is what he CAN get. But certainly this cannot be Nadal's goal or even our (fans) goal. Let's focus on 15 and who knows if it's already in this year's USO. Stop creating deluded threads so reasonable posters and fans of Nadal, like me, won't get mixed in the confusion.
:yeah:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
1) Yes

2) French Open 2017

3) 21. His final GS will be USO in 2017.
Get real no ones winning 20 not even the great Nadal. He has an outside shot at 18. I believe he will finish with 17--18. And with the Olympic gold that will give him the edge over Federer. Even if he only gets 16 and 80 plus career titles. He will be on par with Federer. So his legend only grows from here.

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
:
Get real no ones winning 20 not even the great Nadal. He has an outside shot at 18. I believe he will finish with 17--18. And with the Olympic gold that will give him the edge over Federer. Even if he only gets 16 and 80 plus career titles. He will be on par with Federer. So his legend only grows from here.
yeah, even the great roger may not have 20, those who think rafa will win 20 are :silly::cuckoo:

·
Registered
26,785 Posts
I just want Rafa to play as long as possible. Even if he doesn't win GSs. Well, I'd like him to win at least one more RG :hearts: and one AO :rocker: Then I'll be fine with any result :dance:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Why stop at 20? He could win 30 slams

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
No reason why Rafito's body can't last as long as Tommy-Haas-Been's.
He has enough competitive drive for 2 players, and Tio will probably tweak his yearly schedule so he "specializes" for clay.
Notwithstanding a motivated Nole playing the spoiler, there are no physical limitations for Nadal hitting that unique, effective, and aesthetically pleasing moonball until 39.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I think it's doubtful. He's slowing down already, and getting more and more shocking results. Might equal or just beat Federer's record.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's strange to think about.

As a Nadal fan, I'm always pessimistic and even winning 15 slams seems like no certainty. However, if I look at this logically, based on his age, and the current crop of talent likely to make up the competition, he seems to have at least 3 more years as one of the main contenders. That being the case, at least 1, most likely 2 RG seems a given. 25% of the remaining 10 yields another 2 or 3. So that adds up to 17 minimum and realistically 20 is not too much of a stretch is it?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts