Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a press conference at the Mexican Open in Acapulco, the Spanish player said:

"There is a trend to think less and to play more aggressively but this is the evolution that perhaps the ATP is seeking.

My opinion is not important when it comes to the spectacle, perhaps we should ask fans."

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Rafael_Nadal/67451/rafael-nadal-now-players-think-less-and-play-more-aggressively-/

Is Nadal right? Are the current promising young players destined to lose to the big 3 and to some new better players if they show up? Are the current young players destined to stay mediocre because they are basically brainless ballbashers?

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
I think Nadal has it backwards as the current state of tournament surfaces isn't very rewarding of aggressive play. This is just more of Nadal's usual self-serving stance that anything but my style of tennis is not proper tennis.
I dont think he's speaking of surfaces...

but in general with the racquet technology and athleticism around, speed of play has increased even with the surface slowing.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Even if this really was Nadal's whole game, it has proven to be effective, especially against stylish Fed full of variety.
Not since 2015.
Results since then have proved how much better Federer is off clay.
It was always a matchup advantage Rafa enjoyed. Otherwise the 11-9 and 2-1 would look like 18-2 and 3-0 respectively.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Well you gotta say, we are getting more and more from Nadal's pressers. He clearly feels more confident to give non-textbook answers these days, and his pressers feature here almost daily.

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
Sounding more like Tio Toni every day

Pim Pam Pum tennis

Don't know what he is complaining, though. He has become a ballbasher himself since AO

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I would choose aggressive tennis over returning 5 meters behind the baseline on any day.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I like Rafa but whenever I read a quote from him...

Playing aggressively actually requires a lot of thinking and intelligence on court. Calculating the margins, when to transition to the net, when to break out of neutral rally and flatten out a FH to go DTL, etc. More than (IMO) defensive grinding that is more reliant on physicality.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Who exactly are we talking about? Shapo, KK, Rublev could fit the bill but Tsi, de Minaur, Zverev, Med definitely don’t qualify as overly aggressive.
He's dead wrong here, not sure why he would say that, unless a modern view on aggressive game is taken place (?) .The style that's prevailing today is quite the other way around (traditionally speaking) more patient and carefully thought out: waiting for the opportunity - throw opponents off balance - provoke the UE/force the error .

Players with more aggression like Shapo, KK, Rublev, Tiafoe are having a hard time establishing themselves in this scenareo.

So, that second group has been proving to be consistently better for quite sometime now and will be the role models emboding modern tennis.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
over returning 5 meters behind the baseline on any day.
I am waiting for the time he actually buys a seat in the stands.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts