Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Nobody is eternal" says Nadal during a crowded press conference this morning. "We all win and we all lose. For sure I will lose more matches, nobody can be on top all the time".

Nadal wants to regain a positive feeling entering this tournament. "That is my intention. When one loses you need to recover fast and this is based on training and more training. You have to find what it is you want to do and try to play well again."

Referring to the other players the Spaniard is praising Swiss player Stanislas Wawrinka. "A player with great experience that always had a lot of potential, however he didn´t have his breakthrough until late in his career." Nadal considers Wawrinka to be the best on the circuit at this moment.

Not knowing the details about Djokovic’s injury, it is too early to tell how long he will be out for.

Nadal assures he sometimes lacked the little bit of extra precision to play on his top level this season. "Australia belongs to the past and I cannot justify myself every day. I had setbacks in my career and that was another one," he says.

Nadal is sure that he is the active player that has "missed out on most opportunities due to injuries, starting in Australia in 2006." Forgotten is the painful experience and Nadal is now back on track, both mentally and phyisically.

Rafa is happy to be back in Barcelona. "I hope to play a good week," he says. "It is very important to perform well here. For us, it is the most important ATP 500 event on the tour."

Comparing his career to the ones of his rivals, Nadal knows that he is in a privileged position: "All but one (Roger Federer) would like to trade positions with me. That’s my reflection."

According to Nadal, there is no change in generations on the men’s tour: "It is not normal that the top 4 dominate everything. I think that this has never happened before in the history of tennis. It is a very demanding and very equal sport. But you have to see this year’s results and it’s still the same. Federer was only three points shy of beating Wawrinka (in Monte Carlo)."

Nadal will play his opener at the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona this upcoming Wednesday against the winner of the match between Nikolay Davydenko and Albert Ramos. "All my rivals are dangerous. I always play a match knowing that I can either win or lose."

1 minute video from press conference here: http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/tenis/nadal-faltado-extra-confianza-momento-decisivo-3254650

http://www.barcelonaopenbancsabadell.com/en/news/nadal-nobody-eternal

·
12,691 Posts
"Nobody is eternal" says Nadal during a crowded press conference this morning. "We all win and we all lose. For sure I will lose more matches, nobody can be on top all the time".

Nadal wants to regain a positive feeling entering this tournament. "That is my intention. When one loses you need to recover fast and this is based on training and more training. You have to find what it is you want to do and try to play well again."

Referring to the other players the Spaniard is praising Swiss player Stanislas Wawrinka. "A player with great experience that always had a lot of potential, however he didn´t have his breakthrough until late in his career." Nadal considers Wawrinka to be the best on the circuit at this moment.

Not knowing the details about Djokovic’s injury, it is too early to tell how long he will be out for.

Nadal assures he sometimes lacked the little bit of extra precision to play on his top level this season. "Australia belongs to the past and I cannot justify myself every day. I had setbacks in my career and that was another one," he says.

Nadal is sure that he is the active player that has "missed out on most opportunities due to injuries, starting in Australia in 2006." Forgotten is the painful experience and Nadal is now back on track, both mentally and phyisically.

Rafa is happy to be back in Barcelona. "I hope to play a good week," he says. "It is very important to perform well here. For us, it is the most important ATP 500 event on the tour."

Comparing his career to the ones of his rivals, Nadal knows that he is in a privileged position: "All but one (Roger Federer) would like to trade positions with me. That’s my reflection."

According to Nadal, there is no change in generations on the men’s tour: "It is not normal that the top 4 dominate everything. I think that this has never happened before in the history of tennis. It is a very demanding and very equal sport. But you have to see this year’s results and it’s still the same. Federer was only three points shy of beating Wawrinka (in Monte Carlo)."

Nadal will play his opener at the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona this upcoming Wednesday against the winner of the match between Nikolay Davydenko and Albert Ramos. "All my rivals are dangerous. I always play a match knowing that I can either win or lose."

1 minute video from press conference here: http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/tenis/nadal-faltado-extra-confianza-momento-decisivo-3254650

http://www.barcelonaopenbancsabadell.com/en/news/nadal-nobody-eternal
Bitch please.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Well, he's right, but he's just saying something quite obvious..

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
oh dear Humbalito, stop being so damn modest...your butt picking and cheating skills are for sure eternal and unbeatable in this sport. So sleep well oh mallorcan stallion

·
Registered
293 Posts
So what? Dulltards are the only ones who care about those H2H's. :shrug:
and yet all the Fedtards and Eggtards keep talking about this H2H. Why would Dulltards talk about davy h2h. they talk about the fed one. But the tards who keeps talking about the Davy one will have one less thing to talk about. For me, H2H has to be taken into account when the stats are equal. If and Nadal gets 16+ Fed will find it hard to keep himself on the top and eventually the title will belong to Nadal. If Nadal is stuck at 13 he offcourse will not be the GOAT but Fed as well will not be the clear GOAT for sure. When you are giving someone a Greatest title he absolutely need to nail all the stats and most importantly a respected scoreline to his main rivals. Fed is the GOAT for hard, GOAT for Grass (tie with Sampras). Nadal will always be for Clay.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
really? because I don't think I've ever watched a full tennis match (and I've watched a ridiculous amount) where the commentators (generally respected analysts or former players themselves) bring up the specific players H2H's across the board

apparently it matters to most everyone

saying H2H didn't matter would be like saying that in American basketball it is only relevant to compare individual players stats and not how teams stacked up against each other with W - L which would be stupid

Nadal is stating a lot of obvious things, but then again he gets asked a lot of plainly obvious questions. in fact he gets asked them over and over, practically the same things, with journalists just hoping to death that he gives them an answer other than the expected norm

one good thing is that Rafael remains very down to Earth in acknowledging the fact that he can win a lot and he can lose a lot and that his career could be over at any time

he's also right that besides Federer, no one has a resume even close to his who currently is active and playing so he certainly can be proud of his achievements

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
really? because I don't think I've ever watched a full tennis match (and I've watched a ridiculous amount) where the commentators (generally respected analysts or former players themselves) bring up the specific players H2H's across the board
You haven't? They do it now and again....I am sure you perhaps just missed it if you have watched as much tennis as you profess?

Anyway, H2H is a worthless stat....it is worth exactly nothing. No trophy. No points. Nada. There is no shortcut to history, you have to win the titles....beating someone doesn't entitle you to inherit their trophies or titles. Tennis is a whole-field sport. The only way to the top is consistent excellence against the whole field when it matters. H2H is a tool of the media and talking heads to yammy over and hype in an attempt to capture the imagination of those people that depend on sport commentary to understand and access the sport.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Very well spoken comments from Nadal. If Rafa is wise he will hold back a bit during the clay court grind so that he remains injury free and has a chance at Wimbledon and in late year events. Most every year Rafa has nothing left for the WTF.

Nadal has already piled up an excess of RG titles. The law of diminishing returns proves that a WTF title or another Wimbledon would be more valuable than another RG title.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
saying H2H didn't matter would be like saying that in American basketball it is only relevant to compare individual players stats and not how teams stacked up against each other with W - L which would be stupid
H2H is very important (no doubt), but its importance as a predictive tool shouldn't be overstated. Current form is (and always will be) the best estimator of who will win a match, with only a few notable exceptions, the most obvious being the Federer vs Nadal "rivalry", which is dominated by the mental edge Nadal has had over Fed that began around Rome 2006 and has grown exponentially ever since.

But take for instance all the Fedfans who kept using the 13-1 H2H Fed had over Stan as "undeniable proof" that Fed would prevail in MC. Well, Stan had simply been in better form the entire tournament, so he won. It was the same with Ferrer's 5-21 deficit against Nadal. It was a surprising upset in the QF for sure, but hardly shocking considering Rafa's recent form.

H2H has little bearing in the Nadal-Djokovic, Djokovic-Fed, and Fed-Murray rivalries due to the evenness of them, so past results don't matter at all and its entirely based on who's playing better at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, H2H is a perfectly valid argument for Rafa fans to bring up, and even though I don't believe in a GOAT, it is something to be considered when comparing careers. But other than that it has very limited practical value.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
H2h is important but not the most important stat. H2h has a lot of weight when its between two legengs who have played eachother all along their careers on different tournaments, Such as Becker vs edberg, agassi vs sampras, nadal vs federer. Now the h2h between federer vs cilic or nadal vs Paire arent that important, since you are comparing two players of totally different caliber and levels of accomplishments. A random player can have a slight positive h2h vs some legend because they played too few times under a too short span of time, so It doesnt say anywhing. Legends play eachother very often and usually always on the latter stages of tournaments, so its relevant.

I'm not saying H2h should be the deciding factor of who is the better player on either case, but to make things a little more fair..

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
H2H obviously matters when analysing a particular matchup - so it makes sense for commentators to talk about H2H stats before rivarly matches. But when rating players on an overall scale that is not bounded by just a subset of matches (like H2H meetings), those H2H stats really don't mean that much.

On topic - Dull as humble as ever, but this is one of those rare moments when he actually kind of speaks sense. Hopefully.

·
Banned
5,740 Posts

apparently it matters to most everyone

Nadal is stating a lot of obvious things, but then again he gets asked a lot of plainly obvious questions. in fact he gets asked them over and over, practically the same things, with journalists just hoping to death that he gives them an answer other than the expected norm

one good thing is that Rafael remains very down to Earth in acknowledging the fact that he can win a lot and he can lose a lot and that his career could be over at any time

he's also right that besides Federer, no one has a resume even close to his who currently is active and playing so he certainly can be proud of his achievements
Fraudturds OWNED just like their arrogant disgusting "god" :worship:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
and yet all the Fedtards and Eggtards keep talking about this H2H. Why would Dulltards talk about davy h2h. they talk about the fed one. But the tards who keeps talking about the Davy one will have one less thing to talk about. For me, H2H has to be taken into account when the stats are equal. If and Nadal gets 16+ Fed will find it hard to keep himself on the top and eventually the title will belong to Nadal. If Nadal is stuck at 13 he offcourse will not be the GOAT but Fed as well will not be the clear GOAT for sure. When you are giving someone a Greatest title he absolutely need to nail all the stats and most importantly a respected scoreline to his main rivals. Fed is the GOAT for hard, GOAT for Grass (tie with Sampras). Nadal will always be for Clay.
The GOAT doesn't have to be the greatest of all time on all surfaces and have all the records. There will never be such a tennis player. The GOAT just have to be the one with the best stats overall. Stop making the GOAT title into something that it is not. The GOAT doesn't have to be perfect.

Another thing "Nadal will always be for Clay". Really? Always? What if someone got more titles and GS on clay then him in the future? And against better clay competition. You never know. I doubt many thought that Sampras would be tied with Federer or to some surpassed him has the grass GOAT so soon after his retirement.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts