·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Haven’t read the link. For a moment I thought dear Ro8er was back :lol:

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Stats leave out a lot of context.

Rafa didnt get to face a top 10 player en route to the AO final when he would have destroyed every single one but Nole.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many all-time greats have a winning record vs Federer at the Australian Open (3-1) and a winning record vs Djokovic at the US Open (2-1)?
None, so I guess that's why he's not an all-time great :eek:
Federer choked the 2009 AO badly and he had an injured back, 2014 he had a completely new racquet not used to it yet, plus Nadal has a matchup advantage with his lefty heavy spin against Roger.

Novak was dead tired in the USO final after brutal semifinal, while Nadal was rested after a cakewalk draw.

Stats against the whole field are more telling:

................................ Rafael Nadal.......Novak Djokovic......Roger Federer
vs Top 5 On Hard ............25-37 (40.3%)....63-34 (64.9%) ......74-40 (64.9%)
vs Top 10 On Hard............63-64 (49.6%)....135-52 (72.2%)......154-68 (69.4%)

:wink2:

·
|
14,279 Posts
In addition to Rafa winning 3 US Opens and an Australian Open-
2012ao Rafa was a up a break in the 5th set vs Djokovic.
2017ao Rafa was a up a break in the 5th set vs Federer.

So those are 2 all-time greats that Rafa was leading in the 5th set.
And of course he leads Federer h2h at the AO and leads Djokovic h2h at the USO.
Also, Rafa swept the North American summer 2013 (including 2 wins over Djokovic and a win over Federer), something Federer and Djokovic failed to do :eek:

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
LOL whenever Fed has a win (a 500 against TSitsi, but at least he didn't lose to tsitsi this time!) the fed fan base feels all revitalized and goes on the warpath.

So sad.

·
|
14,279 Posts
Federer choked the 2009 AO badly and he had an injured back, 2014 he had a completely new racquet not used to it yet, plus Nadal has a matchup advantage with his lefty heavy spin against Roger.

Novak was dead tired in the USO final after brutal semifinal, while Nadal was rested after a cakewalk draw.

Stats against the whole field are more telling:

................................ Rafael Nadal.......Novak Djokovic......Roger Federer
vs Top 5 On Hard ............25-37 (40.3%)....63-34 (64.9%) ......74-40 (64.9%)
vs Top 10 On Hard............63-64 (49.6%)....135-52 (72.2%)......154-68 (69.4%)
ead
:wink2:
I guess you don't follow tennis :eek:
Everybody and their dog knows Rafa constantly complains about how much damage hardcourt does to his body.
There was never any chance of Rafa being consistent during the entire calendar year, due to injury....hence the poor top 5 and top 10 stats.
Everybody and their dog also knows the true measure of greatness is slams, and that's how we measure the all-time greats and the all-time greats on hardcourts....
Conversely, what do you think of a player who wins non-slams, but always comes up short at slams? Not an all-time great.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
How many all-time greats have a winning record vs Federer at the Australian Open (3-1) and a winning record vs Djokovic at the US Open (2-1)?
None, so I guess that's why he's not an all-time great :eek:
True, by winning 3 US Opens and 1 Australian Open in a time of two top Hard court greats in Novak and Roger, Rafa must be considered a great on this surface too.

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
https://www.ultimatetennisstatistics.com/goatList -> Select Hard -> Nadal 5th greatest of all time in hard courts

I think this list is pretty good. Shout out to whoever suggested this website a while back.
The creator of this site is @mcekovic

On topic, I find the article stupid. We know Nadal's not as good on HC as the other Big3 members (not sure about Murray), but to call his HC achievements "less than stellar" is just asinine. In this vein, the stats the author used to make his case are meaningless when looking at the big picture.

·
F***ing have it
17,470 Posts
Not top 5,but he's surely in the top 10

1 - 20 of 149 Posts