Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rafael Nadal prevented one of the most remarkable comebacks in tennis history to win his 19th career Grand Slam title, and his fourth US Open crown. After nearly five hours of drama in Arthur Ashe Stadium, the Spaniard survived an inspired effort from Russian No. 5 seed Daniil Medvedev, 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4, in the 2019 men's singles final. After leading by two sets and a break, Nadal found himself facing three break points in his opening service game of the deciding set. He saved all three, then edged back in front—this time for good—when a backhand winner punctuated a 28-ball rally on break point for 3-2. The tension persisted until the last ball, as Nadal saved a break point in his final service game. "The way you are playing is a big joke," an endearing Medvedev told Nadal during the trophy ceremony. "It's very tough to play against you."

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
It's really a shame Daniil Medvedev ultimately didn't quite have the belief in the end...

As i have said previously, he needs to win a match in 5 sets and get that monkey off his back.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
This match was such a thriller.
Med's extraordinary comeback, the crowd pushing on after he totally alienated the crowd in a previous match, then turning against him 5th set in favour of Rafa, Rafa's amazing net game, how Rafa failed to close the match in the 3rd set, then had to fight hard to prevail.
I rewatched this recently and the 5th set was closer than I remembered.
This was also the match where Med truly "arrived", despite losing.
One of the great USo finals IMO.

·
|
15,589 Posts
The match was on Nadal's racquet in the 5th Set, because Nadal owned the net.

2019 Wimbledon Final had 422 points.
Federer came to the net 65 times (won 51).

2019 US Open Final had 341 points.
Nadal came to the net 66 times (won 51).

·
Registered
20,500 Posts
It's really a shame Daniil Medvedev ultimately didn't quite have the belief in the end...

As i have said previously, he needs to win a match in 5 sets and get that monkey off his back.
When did he lack the belief?

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
When did he lack the belief?
Break point early in the 5th, had all the momentum. Very easy backhand miss.

He was excellent in this match, with his back against the wall but realistically he was never winning this.

Not everyone is lucky to play his first slam final against Mark Philippoussis..!

·
Registered
20,500 Posts

He was excellent in this match, with his back against the wall but realistically he was never winning this.

Not everyone is lucky to play his first slam final against Mark Philippoussis..!
I'm not sure how in light of the whole set that point would indicate a lack of self belief.

And I don't even remember him having a very easy backhand miss? I'll look this up

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I'm not sure how in light of the whole set that point would indicate a lack of self belief.

And I don't even remember him having a very easy backhand miss? I'll look this up
It would be the first moment he would be up in the scoreboard, up a break in the decider in your first slam final, was huge.

It wasn't a sitter but it was your regular backhand rallying shot.

Also, i don't remember exactly how he played in the first couple of sets but that he suddenly played some of his best tennis in the third suggests to me a slight lack of self belief to begin with although could simply have been just the nerves.

·
Registered
20,500 Posts
It would be the first moment he would be up in the scoreboard, up a break in the decider in your first slam final, was huge.

It wasn't a sitter but it was your regular backhand rallying shot.

Also, i don't remember exactly how he played in the first couple of sets but that he suddenly played some of his best tennis in the third suggests to me a slight lack of self belief to begin with although could simply have been just the nerves.
The incident you are recalling never happened.

Nadal faced 3 BP's, he ended them all himself, a volley winner, a BH CC on the line FE and a FH I/O FE.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts

Most ATGs won their first slam final over a slamless opponent (at the time anyway). So did Nadal, so did Djokovic, so did Sampras (note 'at the time'), so did Agassi, so did Becker, so did McEnroe (Gerulaitis had an AO but we know it wasn't a real major at the time), so did Borg. Wilander, Lendl, Edberg were exceptions - all within a span of four years. Connors too, but if you look into it, spent ancient Rosewall was actually a gimme. (The USO win was quite a bit more impressive, Rosewall was fairly fresh as he didn't struggle with the draw much there, but Connors had all the confidence in the world.)

·
Registered
20,500 Posts
Most ATGs won their first slam final over a slamless opponent (at the time anyway). So did Nadal, so did Djokovic, so did Sampras (note 'at the time'), so did Agassi, so did Becker, so did McEnroe (Gerulaitis had an AO but we know it wasn't a real major at the time), so did Borg. Wilander, Lendl, Edberg were exceptions - all within a span of four years. Connors too, but if you look into it, spent ancient Rosewall was actually a gimme. (The USO win was quite a bit more impressive, Rosewall was fairly fresh as he didn't struggle with the draw much there, but Connors had all the confidence in the world.)
Almost everyone of those players had a defacto final in the semi.

Fed meanwhile got a freebie while not being mentally ready yet.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Sure, but Philippoussis was playing his 2nd slam final and Federer his 1st
JWT played his 1st against Djokovic, his 2nd.
And Nadal and Puerta were both playing their first.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
The incident you are recalling never happened.

Nadal faced 3 BP's, he ended them all himself, a volley winner, a BH CC on the line FE and a FH I/O FE.
Well, you are right, he never choked on those break point, the backhand i'm talking about was at 2-2 40-40. Not sure why i messed up but to me it was pretty bad to lose that game from 40-00 up. I had it in my mind similar to a break point...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts