Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
predictable

great 1st set, marat showed us what he could do...then what he normally does nowadays....

rafael is a defense machine...some of those moves to stay in the rallies were :eek:

i'm not sure that 2nd set warrants discussion or analysis....

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
Re: R Nadal def M Safin 7-6, 6-0

I told some people he wouldn't win more than 6 games, but didn't think they'd be all in the same set.

Joke, but expected.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Re: R Nadal def M Safin 7-6, 6-0

Good first set, Marat.
2 set pts wasted. :(

B

·
0 Posts
Re: Nadal beat Safin 7-6, 6-0

Ass kicking and Nadal didn't even play well

·
Registered
878 Posts
Predictable, after the way the first set ended. Safin looked like he was on the verge of a meltdown for most of the second.

Nice touch to throw his broken racquet to someone in the crowd though. :)

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
safin should have won first set, encouraging it is. I thought he would do much worse, if he made that forehand to win first he really could have had a big chance to push on and win the match, but it wasnt to be.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Safin :rolleyes:

Why he lost this match:

1. Impatience when squeezed or behind
2. Bad gameplan: can't hit through Nadal, come to net :mad:

Safin needs to be put on some antidepressants before a match :eek:

Three good things to note: 1. Nice to see him play some Top 10 players again. 2. Nice to see him get to the second round this year (last year he lost first round to Gonzo). 3. He has not points to defend in Cincinnati either.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
An horrible Nadal is too much for a regular Safin.

Safin should just retire. His forehand nowadays is a joke compared to what it once was.

·
Registered
24,626 Posts
Just unbelievable chances missed by Safin in the first set. I mean, of course he has to hit the winner some time because waiting for the UE of Nadal on these important points doesn't work too well. He will run from right to left the whole night if necessary. But Marat must convert any of these actually (like the last volley in the tiebreak, for instance).

In the 2nd set, Safin collapsed worse than Bilbo's old grandmother in a wheelchair.

·
Your visions will happen
47,112 Posts
Marat outplayed Nadal in the first set :shrug:

But this is good old predictible Marat.
He really did, it was encouring signs from Marat. Nadal was also missing alot of first serves, its usually up over 70%, and Marat was crushing Nadal's 2nd serves and taking control of the rallies.

Nadal saved a few set points with some aggresive play and great defense and pushed it to a tb. More great defense and he took th tb, and in the 2nd set, Marat was just out of it.

Nadal needs to play better if he wants to win this thing

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well, this match did a few things for me:

1) It scared the hell out of me. At least in the first set. Jesus.:eek: :scared:
2) It gave me a whole new appreciation for you Safin believers. I honestly don't know how you do it. Haven't a clue.:shrug:
3) It made me love Rafa even more, if possible. He has some issues that need to be addressed, but he picked it up when he had to.:worship:

I wanted a good match, and the first set was that. I said it would depend on which Marat showed up....and I think we got a 2fer. Amazing Marat in the first set:worship:, Batshit Crazy Marat in the second.:silly:

I'm glad Rafa won, and I hope his next round match won't be half as difficult.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Nadal was way too deep for a lot of that match - he played out most of the rallies in Montreal.

Safin though was so generous with his UEs that he didn't make him pay, even with chances in that first set. Once the breaker was done the Safin collapse was on the cards and he delivered expertly, spraying the ball around like an efficient sprinkler system.

It looks deceptively comfortable for Nadal, especially the second set, but his 1st serve wasn't around at crucial times, a few too many UEs of his own, and as I say, he was too deep behind the baseline.

Nadal 13 winners to 19 UEs

For a first match on hard , okay - but he now needs to tighten that up.

·
2011 Here we go again!
10,542 Posts
Safin didn't use his brain today. He got frustrated with everything and that thing with the racket breaking has become a joke. He tried to outlast Nadal from the baseline in the 2nd set and most of the times he ended up with an UE.

Poor mentality and gameplan.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts