Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think his biggest shot is in Toronto, not too sure the rest of the big guys will be all there yet (mentally and physically)..

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I agree, not Canada, Cincinnati, nor the U.S. Open. Rafa has only ever successfully defended Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, and the French Open (the same 5 clay events). He will not likely win another title for the rest of 2014.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
The only tournament Nadal should be concerned about is the USO, he won't have the consistency the rest of the year to finish #1(I don't think) but if he can win another slam, he won't care. People forget how mediocre Nadal's season was by his standards because he won the French, but he was not nearly as good this year as last. I think he will lose in sf's of Candada early in Cincy, and put everything into the USOPEN and getting the the finals on guts and experience, before falling to Djokovic, that is my prediction for his USOPEN series.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
CampNadal's future looks promising

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
God knows, lets see how flukey he gets this year

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think Rafa's form has been pretty good since that Murray match in Rome....

Yes he's been patchy, but I've been encouraged by his Wimbledon....

As for defending his titles, I honestly think this is a coincidence that he's not defended a hard court title.

It's not the pressure(otherwise he wouldn't have defended so many clay titles), it's just the fact that the competition is better and he's usually not as good.

But I will not be surprised if he defends Canada or the USO.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I think Rafa's form has been pretty good since that Murray match in Rome....

Yes he's been patchy, but I've been encouraged by his Wimbledon....

As for defending his titles, I honestly think this is a coincidence that he's not defended a hard court title.

It's not the pressure(otherwise he wouldn't have defended so many clay titles), it's just the fact that the competition is better and he's usually not as good.

But I will not be surprised if he defends Canada or the USO.
I am not one of these haters suggesting Nadal is done on hardcourts or anything like that. Just last year Winning IW, CIncy, Canada, USO was pretty much a complete anomaly, the field was down last year and Djokovic was slightly down too, and Rafa played a bit better than I think we can realistically expect this year. I don't think we can as readily just pencil the guy into the finals like last year with Raonic and Dimitrov finally coming through, Stan 2.0 emerging Roger back to form, and guys like Nishikori and gulbis slightly improved versions of themselves. With Djokovic re-establishing himself as his hard court best post USO I don't think he will view YE#1 is something he wants to aim for and I think he will try and peak for the USO more this year instead of going for total dominance again as I think its a more viable goal this year. I think he will bow out before the fianals in the two masters events and I am leaning towards him being the losing Finalist at the USO but wouldn't be surprised if he won. Just how I see it, cheers.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
He didn't look as good this season on hard as he did last, obviously. But he made Miami final and honestly I see him at least making the final at US Open. Probably can snatch one of the two Masters titles too. He's still one of the two best hard courters at the moment.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Can't see him defending any title.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts