Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have refrained from bashing Rafa as i think he is agreat copetitor and great for the sport. However this article is ridiculous.

Federer wants no change
World No. 1 disagreed with Spaniard Rafael Nadal and stated that the Masters Cup should be played indoor, the only surface on which a Grand Slam is not played.
22-11 | 12:04 hs. Federer said that in an interview released by the organizers of the exhibition match he will play tonight in Kuala Lumpur against former world No. 1, American Pete Sampras.

Nadal had stated it would be fair for the whole world if the Masters Cup would be played on different surfaces each year and not always on hard court, as currently done.

Federer admitted his wish to emulate Steffi Graf, and be able to win every Grand Slam in the same year: Australia, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open, for what he will work "hard" to win the first in January in Melbourne.

Sampras said his rival is "maybe the player who has most dominated tennis," after taking 12 Grand Slam titles in five years, while the American won a record 14.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Uncle Toni is behind this no doubt.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
2009 - The Year of the X

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
In all fairness, the French Open should be held on hardcourts once in a while too :fiery: :eek:

·
Registered
42,421 Posts
In all fairness, the French Open should be held on hardcourts once in a while too :fiery: :eek:
:spit: :haha: :haha: :rolls:
I see you're bored in the meeting. :p

EagleWatch, it's indoors bc the year ends with the indoor season and it would take time to adapt to another surface for the last tournament of the year and most guys don't want to do that, that's been the reasoning.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
like it or not, but i think that nadal is 100% right. there's no reason why the masters cup will be played time after time on hard courts only.
Imagine the amount of complaints if the best players hated playing on clay, yet the masters cup was played on clay for example. And vice versa. Hard court is probably still the most equal surface.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Nadal :baby:

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
like it or not, but i think that nadal is 100% right. there's no reason why the masters cup will be played time after time on hard courts only.
As JMPower said for that matter why not have the FO on hard if you already want to talk about changing surfaces?

Nadal should be thankful the TMC is no longer played on the ice-rink indoor carpet they had when it was played in Frankfurt.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Imagine the amount of complaints if the best players hated playing on clay, yet the masters cup was played on clay for example. And vice versa. Hard court is probably still the most equal surface.
hmmm...about 5 complaints?
when ur talking about fairness or equivalence, u also need to mention that the masters cup is traditionaly played on hard courts-when most playes r divided to groups which specializing in different surfaces. i ain't a Nadal fan, btw.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Nadal actually has a fair point in this case, but that would be lost most people, unless they think the Masters are as important as GS events.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Bad analogy as TMC isn't a Grand Slam. It's already being moved to different places unlike a GS. That said, it's only fitting that TMC is played on hard court, not necessarily indoors though, like the rest of the fall season leading up to it. Houston a few years back worked just fine outdoors. It all depends of the weather in the host city.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Meh, it's a medium paced hardcourt. That's about as fair as they can get.

I doubt the majority of the top players would be happy if they had to adapt to clay again for 1 tourney when they've been playing HCs for half a year...

·
124,507 Posts

·
124,507 Posts
stupid response :rolleyes:
How about thinking about the response. Considering the concept of fairness and neutrality doesn't exist as there are going to players disadvantaged by any surface for a number of varied reasons and if that's the case, then how is a surface fair?

Clay isn't fair to everyone, neither is grass and hardcourts aren't no matter how much they tinker with the speed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
that's my point.
the masters cup isn't what u call "voluntary" event. but, each and every year the event is played on one kind of surface, without considering each player strength or weakness, but giving a head start and an advantage to player who master the hard courts.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts