In which month in 2006 will Rafael Nadal become world number 1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know that if Nadal won Cincy and Fed lost before the semis, Nadal would lead the Race. Now that Nadal is out...
For the good calculators of the board, what must happen on Federer and Nadal sides in USO for a change at the top ?

Reactions: Puschkin

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Re: Now that Nadal lost, when could he get number 1 spot ?

As far as I can see, the earliest possible change at the top now (in the entry rankings) would be Mon 2nd October (oops, make that Mon 3rd).

This would require Nadal to win the US Open and New Haven (or any other optional in September - he only has room for one more), Federer to do poorly this week and in New York and fail to reach the final in Bangkok.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

jtipson said:
As far as I can see, the earliest possible change at the top now (in the entry rankings) would be Mon 2nd October.

This would require Nadal to win the US Open and New Haven (or any other optional in September - he only has room for one more), Federer to do poorly this week and in New York and fail to reach the final in Bangkok.
Good news, thanks. I think Fed can sleep well till November...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

Bother! Just when I was starting to think .... what if......?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

when? whenever, he will, eventually....

just a matter of whether he could beat hewitt's record (20yrs and 9 months... )
i.e. be no.1 before march 2007..

·
Banned
19,258 Posts

never.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts

Rafa will not play New Haven but I believe he's going to Beijing for the China Open in September.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

well if he wins the us and roger loses 1st round, then he'll be no1 in the race

·
Registered
420 Posts

MY GOD, Rogi will stay # 1 at least in Entry Ranking, and that's what really count!
I don't care that stupid Race!!

·
Registered
5,712 Posts

If Roger wins Cincinnati, Rafael will be hard pressed to catch him, won't he?

Federer has not a single point from Paris or Madrid, and really only has a bundle of points from the U.S. Open. Nadal has no optionals left, if I'm not mistaken, so is it just a matter of Federer not imploding at the U.S. and putting some work in at his optionals in Basel and Bangkok?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts

Beforehand said:
If Roger wins Cincinnati, Rafael will be hard pressed to catch him, won't he?

Federer has not a single point from Paris or Madrid, and really only has a bundle of points from the U.S. Open. Nadal has no optionals left, if I'm not mistaken, so is it just a matter of Federer not imploding at the U.S. and putting some work in at his optionals in Basel and Bangkok?
Don't forget Federer has quite a lot from the TMC too - the max 750.
Nadal is allowed an extra optional until Bercy as he wasn't ranked high enough for direct entry last year, but that only lets him gain 190 at the very most.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts

Ah. Tennis Masters Cup.

So, as long as Federer doesn't do HORRIBLY at the Open and cleans his optionals up a little bit, he won't have to worry about keeping #1 until the Masters Cup?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts

Beforehand said:
I believe it's only 5.
Hasn't Nadal already won 5 optional tournaments this year? Brasil, Acapulco, Barcelona, Bastad, Stuttgart.

·
Registered
901 Posts

Federer would have to lose early this week and then Nadal would have to do really well at the US Open with a semi final or a final appearance.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts

I don't see him being #1 before AO end. He is on a foreign turf now, on a surface where he is not expected to do well against top opposition. And then .. it will be indoors .. even worse.. Fed didn't care about playing indoors last year as he had no challengers. He will care this time. The next time Nadal plays on a friendly surface will be in Australia. Then he can make some strides.. But so can Fed..

·
Registered
3,402 Posts

Beforehand said:
That's what I thought, but apparently not.
Yes, it is normally restricted to five if you are ranked high enough for direct entry into all the masters' tournaments (or qualify or get WCs for them), but Nadal didn't get into Bercy last year, so he's allowed a sixth optional until that tournament takes place this year. This means he can temporarily bolster his ranking with another optional result, but it will come off before the TMC.

On the race he'll only be allowed five optionals since he's been ranked high enough for direct entry all this year.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts

Beforehand said:
Ah. Tennis Masters Cup.

So, as long as Federer doesn't do HORRIBLY at the Open and cleans his optionals up a little bit, he won't have to worry about keeping #1 until the Masters Cup?
Provided that Nadal doesn't win in New York. Then it would be touch and go for the rest of the season.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts