Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal has not played since retiring from the US Open in the semi-final against Juan Martin del Potro.

He missed the end of season Asian swing and the ATP Finals in London and it remains uncertain when he will return.

But his uncle is confident he will be back and will challenge to be world No 1 again.

“For now, for the coming year, I trust in the full physical recovery of Rafael, I feel new episodes of his rivalry with Djokovic and, in general, a more open panorama with the definitive incorporation of the new generation.”

Toni Nadal thinks Federer may have won his last Grand Slam - despite winning three of the last eight on offer.

He said: “What can we expect from 2019? I find it hard to see Federer raise another Grand Slam cup. Obviously, I do not say it for their game, although I do say it for the hardness of the five-set tournaments.

“I have to confess that I said that on other occasions and the Swiss, repeatedly, surprised me.

Players of the Next Gen has continued to grow and improve. I think we have seen, at last, a quality leap in his game.

“I understand that there are many of us who see the definitive consolidation of players like Zverev or Thiem, although for obvious reasons I want it to happen later than soon. I would gladly wait for them to be delayed a little longer.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/1048275/Rafael-Nadal-Toni-Nadal-Novak-Djokovic

Thoughts?

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
He's delusional if he thinks Wafa will overtake Nole for #1. More likely that Nole ties his slam count.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would have thought he's correct about Fed, albeit he has proved us wrong before, but I think he might be a little over optimistic about Rafa being able to make a serious challenge for number 1. He might be there or thereabouts in the race after the clay season next year, but it's becoming pretty clear that Rafa now struggles to last a full season and I can only see that getting worse.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Clickbait site, they pretty much never write anything useful. I mean, what is the "Rafa update", really?

In what way does this constitute as an update?
They do write pretty terrible headlines, normally something like 'Federer makes huge claim about Nadal and Djokovic' click on the link and he vaguely mentions them.

Anyway Rafa is on holiday in Miami for a few days, he normally plays a golf tournament in November but it has been put back to mid December, as has the flood fundraiser, we will probably get an injury update then. As far as I know he has been doing physio in the pool and that's it.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Dead on about Fed.

I like his honesty about preferring Thiem and AZ "consolidate" later rather than sooner. LOL!
Rafa will have big challenges with those two and Khach and Coric next year.
Just praying this frequent injury issue can cool down. LIke have one a year, not two a year, please.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Toni Nadal is a top coach, a mad scientist who devised the blueprint to overtake Federer and Rafa Nadal executed the plan to perfection. For this reason, Tony Nadal can say anything he wants about tennis. He is a legendary figure and whatever he says carries a ton of weight.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
“For now, for the coming year, I trust in the full physical recovery of Rafael, I feel new episodes of his rivalry with Djokovic and, in general, a more open panorama with the definitive incorporation of the new generation.”
That's fine, but for how long Toni? Can Rafa trust his own body? That's what's most important!

Is he finally going to measure out his schedule more? By that I mean less clay events as well.
Is he going to change his training method? At this age, does he need to be pumped?
Is he going to play more attacking tennis instead of defending the lines people? Shortening the rallies could benefit him to lengthen his season.

I find it strange Toni focuses more on others without actually saying anything specific about Rafa. That's what frightens me, because tennis needs a fit Nadal. It's clear why he doesn't want new players to become dominant factors. Well Toni, it's going to happen and your guy will have to deal with them no matter what.

In a way, 2018 was a very 'ugly' year for Nadal. Sure, the 11th French Open was amazing stuff, but he has withdrawn/retired from tournaments way too often.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The old man will be 38 in August. If he somehow won another slam it would be one of if not the most incredible tennis feat of the modern era. Uncle Toni is really going out on a limb by suggesting that Fed is done. What a revolutionary genius he is...

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
A 37 yo wont win a slam

Indeed what a shocking surprise, wow Tony whats next in your christal ball, murray will never return to #1 and novak will keep his #1 until after the clay season?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Toni is probably right about Federer, I expect his decline to accelerate in 2019. It's nothing extraordinary, Federer will be 38 next year. On the other hand, I am not so sure about Rafa vs Djokovic rivalry resurgence in 2019. Both of them are not what they used to be, although they are still capable of playing great tennis, still, I expect their consistency to drop, the signs of which we've already seen this year. Djokovic was rather unconvincing after US Open, save for his Shanghai triumph.
Next season we might very well see a new slam winner.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
Toni is probably right about Federer, I expect his decline to accelerate in 2018. It's nothing extraordinary, Federer will be 38 next year. On the other hand, I am not so sure about Rafa vs Djokovic rivalry resurgence in 2019. Both of them are not what they used to be, although they are still capable of playing great tennis, still, I expect their consistency to drop, the signs of which we've already seen this year. Djokovic was rather unconvincing after US Open, save for his Shanghai triumph.
Next season we might very well see a new slam winner.
Spot on and i wont be shocked if it will happen in AO

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Spot on and i wont be shocked if it will happen in AO
Yeah, I think so too. The surface in Australia doesn't suit Djokovic's gamestyle anymore. It doesn't mean he couldn't win it, considering his history in Melbourne, but I don't think he'll be a heavy favorite. Rafa's performance depends on his recovery. We're most likely to see Rafa vs Djoko at RG and maybe USO, though it's nothing but speculation at this point.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts