Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an interview after winning his 12th Roland Garrow title, Rafa talked about the injuries he was facing this season and revealed that at one point, he considered shutting down his season to try to recover his body.

What happened after Indian Wells in March, when you injured your right knee and couldn’t compete in the semi-finals against Roger Federer?
Mentally, after Indian Wells, I suffered a major downturn. Ideas and scenarios were swirling inside my head. I considered shutting down my season to see if my body would recuperate instead of playing through injury after injury. Another option was to press on and play through the pain. Either way, the outlook was bleak. It required a change of mindset this time, and that doesn’t happen overnight.

Your coach, Carlos Moya, recently said: “Since I’ve starting coaching Rafa, I’ve never seen him look so [downtrodden].”
I was reluctant and hesitant to return. Physically, because of another tendon tear in my knee, and on top of going through all the treatment required in the recovery process, there was dealing with the pain. That’s the reality of the matter — it was different this time. That’s not how it usually works with me.

Normally, the injury is diagnosed, I rehab, practise and go through the routine like it’s no big deal. I’d play through pain and wouldn’t even consider that as suffering. This time was different … considering my history of competing, of fighting. Normally, this process isn’t what I would consider “suffering”.

Can you explain?
Between the level of pain and just being sidelined, there came a time when I just felt tired of all of this. I was sick of always being in pain. I get it: with competing comes pain. But when you’ve accumulated injuries, decided to deal with them, recovered from them and before you even get back on the court you’ve acquired another, that takes a toll.

After Indian Wells, I took a moment to make sense of all of it. I felt a little more upbeat around the time of the Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters, but I was still in a very low place and hardly positive.
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/nadal-reflects-12th-roland-garros-title-2019

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
That's entirely understandable given his injury record, but nothing motivates him more than the French Open. And as we all know, he's usually injury-free during the clay season.

·
justice for all
13,107 Posts
Well that's another hint that this might have been his last RG (slam). It'll get harder and harder to get himself fully ready for the French in the coming years.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He didn't look good on the court in MC and Barcelona, that was very obvious. Injuries take their toll so it's perfectly understandable that even as someone of Rafa's determination has felt the consequences. But this just shows Rafa's intelligence as a player and a person. He was able to continue working and adapting despite the injury problems and he's kept the right attitude.

In this interview he also hinted he'll play a reduced schedule which is an excellent thing. I say reduce the number of HC tournaments to a minimum, just focus on the most important ones like USO and WTF.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
He didn't look good on the court in MC and Barcelona, that was very obvious. Injuries take their toll so it's perfectly understandable that even as someone of Rafa's determination has felt the consequences. But this just shows Rafa's intelligence as a player and a person. He was able to continue working and adapting despite the injury problems and he's kept the right attitude.

In this interview he also hinted he'll play a reduced schedule which is an excellent thing. I say reduce the number of HC tournaments to a minimum, just focus on the most important ones like USO and WTF.
Is he now completely exempted from mandatory masters?

·
Registered
370 Posts
With all the discussions of his wear and tear, I still wouldn't be surprised seeing him playing and winning RG even perhaps as his only tournament of the year until he's 40. Given his unique affinity for clay, it's certainly conceivable. The rest of the year, he could do some light hitting just to maintain his form while sparing his knee... At the same time, it's equally possible that he could be forced to suddenly and unexpectedly retire at any point from hereon after some surprise flare-up of knee problems...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The ONE sided final at AO definitely had a big part in Rafa's fatigue .
Rafa and most of his fans had such a good feeling going into the AO Finals (Serve was working and all that)
As a Rafa fan, I was shocked at the one sided match.

No doubt it led to self doubt up and until the start of Rome.
the win over Novak in Rome was huge. One of the most important wins in his career (IMO)

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
and yet, some delusional Fed fans will persist he's faking :spit::help:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
This only shows how great he is. He doesnt work or train better then Fed or Nole. But the amount of injuries he came back from is sometimes overwhelming.

I think he may even been in a deprension after IW. Because your mind starts playing tricks on you.
But he was beeing honest, while some here might not believe what Rafa said. But these guys beliece the earth is flat.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Is this media manipulation propaganda? Love Rafa but...

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Nadal is kind of shockingly open in that interview (the full version). He says some things I'd generally expect to come out only after a player has retired.
He has Always been like that. Always. He admits things no other athlete would admit--like feeling a lack of confidence etc. He gets criticized for being too honest about his doubts.
This is one of the things I admire most about him.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I can totally understand how he feels.
It is mentally exhausting to keep trying to recover from injuries, and get your yourself pumped and beleiving again.
He has done this more times in his career than I can count. I have trouble thinking of more than one or two years where Rafa wasn't injured. 2013 and 2010. LOL. When he's not hurt, he rules, not just on clay.

I understand the feelings he has to surmount because I've had this too--on just the weekend warrior scale, it's not like I'm missing out on any great victories--one sports injury after another, the big one in my 20s (from tennis, torn ankle ligaments) that screwed up my gait and then eventually caused other muscular-skeletal problem in my legs/back; also a screwed up shoulder from serving; and some other assorted injuries from other sports.
It drives me crazy. Not being able to bike or hike or swim or even climb stairs without pain.

So I can only imagine what it does to him.

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
"I needed motivation and there are things you can do in the moment to get that sort of uplifting feeling. YouTube is good for that; there are lots of inspirational videos on there. But I also had to think long-term and summon my inner strength. I did a lot of reflecting, self-evaluating."

dawg I wanna know which vids he watched

maybe some of himself too?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
He has Always been like that. Always. He admits things no other athlete would admit--like feeling a lack of confidence etc. He gets criticized for being too honest about his doubts.
This is one of the things I admire most about him.
He generally seems to be a “glass half empty” kind of guy, which is such a contrast with the fast majority of elite athletes. It’s very interesting.

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
He generally seems to be a “glass half empty” kind of guy, which is such a contrast with the fast majority of elite athletes. It’s very interesting.
cant agree with that at all?

Few stay more positive than him.

In his general approach and in dealing with adversity within a contest.

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
"I needed motivation and there are things you can do in the moment to get that sort of uplifting feeling. YouTube is good for that; there are lots of inspirational videos on there. But I also had to think long-term and summon my inner strength. I did a lot of reflecting, self-evaluating."

dawg I wanna know which vids he watched

maybe some of himself too?
Rafa should def watch this to get inspired

·
Registered
615 Posts
and yet, some delusional Fed fans will persist he's faking :spit::help:
No his game style was always going to make things hard for him.

More realistic to say that what tends to happen is that he talks more about his injuries after he has lost. To be fair, mainly not straight after. This tends to feed the Rafa fanatic narrative that a fit Rafa, whatever that means, never loses.

So it's a bit different to talk about them after he's won. As others have said, one wonders if it means he feels the end is coming but he's managed to survive this far, and he is exceptional, so one would not be surprised if he squeezed another year or so out.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts