Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow Really impressed by every single choice here by Rafael Nadal. I can only but agree completely wholeheartedly. He's really knows this stuff tennis . :cool: (Though in the FH side Rogers and His is a battle depending on surface )

Ok here he goes

Do you agree , What would your perfect player be ?

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Rafa is too modest, his own FH is miles ahead of Roger's.
I thought the same, at their peak it was close though but I think Rafa's was slightly more impressive.

Serve: I would pick John Isner instead of Ivo Karlovic because of his second serve and his kick serve is much better for clay.

Attitude: David Ferrer is a very good pick but I would choose Lleyton Hewitt.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I must admit they are good choices by el de Manacor. (y)
Much better than those done by Srdjan’s oldest son.
It is obvious that Djokovic had to choose among players at the Davis Cup...

Generally good choices by Nadal but i didn't like criterion much, where were volley, versatility, defense, return of serve, footwork...?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The missing , important category in this video is CLUTCHNESS ( cold killer mind in the tight moments ) which Im sure Rafas would have picked Novak Djokovic as is him hands down. The man made a living out of reaping hearts at crunch time .

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The missing , important category in this video is CLUTCHNESS ( cold killer mind in the tight moments ) which Im sure Rafas would have picked Novak Djokovic as is him hands down. The man made a living out of reaping hearts at crunch time .
There are different aspect of the mental game, tenacity is also an important one, and a bit different than fighting spirit. How many players would have partially given up in Djokovic shoes when Federer served for the match at last Wimbledon, i bet 98 or 99 out of 100. Even Nadal looked a bit resigned when going down a break in the 4th set in the semifinal.

There is also mental consistency, those who can keep the highest level of focus throughout a whole match, this is one of the toughest thing in the sport.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Of course rafa has to say Roger's FH is the best but that's crap. It's his own, of course, but that would seem like bragging so he doesn't.

The whole idea of the perfect player is kind of ridiculous, because every different best shot is produced by a different body and a different mind and a different apparatus of nerve/stress management.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Forehand: Roger
Backhand: Connors
1st Serve: Roddick
2nd Serve: Isner
Passing shot: Nadal
Volley: McEnroe
Lob: Murray
Movement: Borg
Heart: Hewitt

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The whole idea of the perfect player is kind of ridiculous, because every different best shot is produced by a different body and a different mind and a different apparatus of nerve/stress management.
Well of course your right here you cant have both Karlovic serve and Monfils speed , its just a game to aknowledge a rival strenghts and account for individual tennis attitudes/aptitudes rather than "finding the perfect tennis player", of course the physical/psychological/social contexts are also part of the game and can be brought . I think its a good way to bring tennis discussion , find out what they know of the game, favourite things , their ego ,etc

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Backhand – Djokovic (1)

Forehand – Federer (1)

Serve – Karlovic (1)

Heart – Nadal (1)

Fitness - Thiem (1)

Speed – Monfils (1)

Shot selection – Murray (1)

Attitude – Ferrer (1)

Vision – Federer (2)

·
11,047 Posts
Backhand – Djokovic (1)

Forehand – Federer (1)

Serve – Karlovic (1)

Heart – Nadal (1)

Fitness - Thiem (1)

Speed – Monfils (1)

Shot selection – Murray (1)

Attitude – Ferrer (1)

Vision – Federer (2)
He is completely correct here. Especially on the vision part. Federer has impeccable vision and is pretty fantastic at hawkeye challenges.

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I would add category "balls", and the pick would be - Andy Murray, The Olympic King.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He is completely correct here. Especially on the vision part. Federer has impeccable vision and is pretty fantastic at hawkeye challenges.
Ok yeah your joking. I think Vision in the sense choosing the right shot and tactic to adapt to ingame situations, what to do with the ball and how . But that was already covered by Murray at shot selection so it was a pointless question .

·
Banned
234 Posts
Perfect player of all time would be:
Serve: Sampras
Return of serve: djokovic
Forehand: Nadal
Backhand: djokovic
Volleys: edberg
Movement: Nadal (pre2010)
Mental toughness: Nadal

Create the above player and he would be Perfect. Unbeatable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts