Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Told to leave the court due to rain after a brief start in his match against Muller, Nadal was disgusted and said to Brian Early (Tournament Supevisor), "It's the same old thing, all you guys care about is money!" Apparently, Nadal could not move as well as usual on the misted courts and lost a service break --- reported by ESPN due to the slippery courts. They hinted that Nadal probably thought the match should not have been started at all due to the mist.

Does Rafa have a legitimate beef?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Re: Rafa spouts off at Tournament Supervisor

Maybe the match shouldn't have been started but...isn't Muller in the same boat? You can't blame 'the conditions' on Rafa losing his first service game since Muller is playing on the same court.

·
29,317 Posts
Re: Rafa spouts off at Tournament Supervisor

You make it seem like it was just Nadal. Murray and Roddick also went to talk to the tournament supervisor.

·
Registered
884 Posts
yeah its not Nadal who should be singled out. it seems like Murray and Roddick also had the same complaints. You cant fault Rafa for outspeaking rightfully when none of the other players arent speaking.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
Rafa lost 3 games in all fairness.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
No. The tournament director is running a huge puzzle. It consists of players, fans, TV, sponsors, volunteers, hired workers and so on. All of these mentioned ensure that Nadal and his colleagues are able to enjoy the big bucks. Fans, TV and sponsors bring the money so it's not wrong to consider their point of view as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not much of a Rafa fan, but it's stupid to single him out. I see the title is edited now. Anyone who's actually played on a wet hardcourt knows how dangerous it can be. It's crazy they tried to make them play on a surface that wet.

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
Firstly, both players are playing in the same conditions so Nadal should stop whining. Secondly, Nadal made 2 double faults in the game where he got broken. Hard to blame the court for that.
Thirdly, the USTA do suck balls.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Yes, the players have a legitimate beef.

Damp hardcourts are really dangerous.

Even as a rec player, I wouldn't play on wet courts. For professionals, given how hard they play and what an injury could mean to their careers, it's just stupid.

·
Registered
565 Posts
No. The tournament director is running a huge puzzle. It consists of players, fans, TV, sponsors, volunteers, hired workers and so on. All of these mentioned ensure that Nadal and his colleagues are able to enjoy the big bucks. Fans, TV and sponsors bring the money so it's not wrong to consider their point of view as well.
Very well said.

·
Registered
884 Posts
also we need video of this. its not very often we get to see those 3 in the same room together or hallway, right?

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
Yes, the players have a legitimate beef.

Damp hardcourts are really dangerous.

Even as a rec player, I wouldn't play on wet courts. For professionals, given how hard they play and what an injury could mean to their careers, it's just stupid.
I played on a hardcourt during heavy rain a couple of weeks ago just for fun. :D Was very dangerous, though... like running on ice.

·
29,317 Posts
Hmmmmmm.... Interesting to see the big players think they're above the rules. Very bad.
What rules are you talking about? If its wet, its stupid to play on hardcourts at all. I'm thinking you should know this having played on hardcourts before?

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Of course, it's not just a black/white situation, and your points run true, but on the other hand, is it so strange that players (as it wasn't only Nadal!) are complaining to be put out on a (perhaps still slippery, and thus dangerous?) court - while it's also obvious that it will start raining again within a couple of minutes?

As for the ESPN reportedly blaming Rafa's loss of serve on the court conditions - that's one of the worst cases of excusitis I've heard for a very long time. Yeah, of course the court is to blame for firing two DFs in one serve game... :silly:

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Of course, it's not just a black/white situation, and your points run true, but on the other hand, is it so strange that players (as it wasn't only Nadal!) are complaining to be put out on a (perhaps still slippery, and thus dangerous?) court - while it's also obvious that it will start raining again within a couple of minutes?

As for the ESPN reportedly blaming Rafa's loss of serve on the court conditions - that's one of the worst cases of excusitis I've heard for a very long time. Yeah, of course the court is to blame for firing two DFs in one serve game... :silly:
I don't think they blamed it on the court per se, they blamed it on the conditions in general and that Lux came out with an 'it is what it is' attitude whereas #2 came out clearly annoyed.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts