Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like Serena, he will be even tougher between 28-31 yrs old... The best is yet to come... Rafa fans, enjoy the ride... As for the rest, don't hate, congratulate!

This is not a troll thread, I really think the next 2-3 years will be huge... Can't wait for Wimbledon!

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Just like Serena, he will be even tougher between 28-31 yrs old... The best is yet to come... Rafa fans, enjoy the ride... As for the rest, don't hate, congratulate!

This is not a troll thread, I really think the next 2-3 years will be huge... Can't wait for Wimbledon!

Agree. I have said it many times before. Spanish players dont peak until they are 30 since they have the best doctors.

Dull will win at least 10 more slams, since there is almost no competition for him in the next 5 years.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ban this guy. Serena frequently missed huge chunks in her career. Thats why she didnt burn out early like the rest.

Nadal plays with intensity pretty much at every tournament. Serena diznt care less for some.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Actually I agree. If his body can hold up physically he is going to get even better as hard as that is to believe. The one thing Rafa as great as he has been is he has never gone through say a full year where he played all out aggressive tennis. If he can play aggressive consistently it is my opinion that he is practically unbeatable.

If his body hold up I can see him go through a stretch where he win say 6 out of 8 slams. 20 slams is doable depending on his body.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Actually I agree. If his body can hold up physically he is going to get even better as hard as that is to believe. The one thing Rafa as great as he has been is he has never gone through say a full year where he played all out aggressive tennis. If he can play aggressive consistently it is my opinion that he is practically unbeatable.

If his body hold up I can see him go through a stretch where he win say 6 out of 8 slams. 20 slams is doable depending on his body.
Do you think his body will hold up after today's back cramping in the 4th set?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
This is ridiculous. Prime Rafa was 2008/2010. And he isn't getting back to that. At this point, it will be similar to Roger. Rafa can hope to collect 2-3 more slams. Hopefully he is still close to the top of his game for the next olympics and if he wins it he may retire right after. Rafa is not going to be playing tennis at 32. His body will not let him and he knows that.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
This is ridiculous. Prime Rafa was 2008/2010. And he isn't getting back to that. At this point, it will be similar to Roger. Rafa can hope to collect 2-3 more slams. Hopefully he is still close to the top of his game for the next olympics and if he wins it he may retire right after. Rafa is not going to be playing tennis at 32. His body will not let him and he knows that.
This is what people have been saying for the last 10 years. Rafito was supposed to be in a wheelchair by now.

There is nothing wrong with his body. He will play for at least 10 more years. Just look at Ferrer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Lol. How can you say that. I mean in 2013, yes 2013 Rafa played his best hard court tennis EVER. And many people said he wouldn't still be winning slams at 27. And no one said anything about him winning slams at 32. What we are saying is from now to say 31 if his body hold up he could have an amazing run.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've been saying this for a while.

Nadal and Djokovic won't fade into their 20s/early 30s like champions of the past. They're the best athletes in tennis history, and advanced physio and medicine -- combined with lack of competition -- will have them winning for several more years.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Lol. How can you say that. I mean in 2013, yes 2013 Rafa played his best hard court tennis EVER. And many people said he wouldn't still be winning slams at 27. And no one said anything about him winning slams at 32. What we are saying is from now to say 31 if his body hold up he could have an amazing run.
The AO this year proves exactly what I'm saying. Wawrinka had never even taken a set off Rafa and in a grand slam final, he not only won a set he won three of them and the championship. That was all Rafa's body betraying him. That's going to happen more and more. Last year, his clay stats were mortal. Ferrer actually had the highest percentage of return games won. In 2008/2010, Rafa was leading all statistics by a country mile. Not even kidding, but 5-6%.

How anyone can say this is still prime Rafa is beyond me. Is he still highly competitive? Absolutely. So was Roger in 2009 when he won the French and Wimbledon back to back. How many slams did he win after that? Exactly.

Rafa plays a very physical game and his body is not going to let him do that into his 30's. Not consistently. We aren't going to be witnessing Rafa run off 2008/2010 style years. At this point it will be a slam here and a slam there.

Guys always do this here and it's annoying. One guy wins a slam and all of a sudden they are going to keep winning slams. Like it's an on/off switch and there are no other factors involved. After Rafa when three of four slams in 2010 there was all kinds of talk about calendar year grand slam and 24 slams by the end of his career. And he won, what two over the next two years?

Odds are not on his side at 28 of continuing to produce multi-slam years. It's basic math.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

I agree.

He's a SPARTAN !

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
UNlike Fed or Nole, rafa doenst have a clear "peak", he just peak during slams, even when he hasnt been playing spectacular during the non-slam tournaments.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts