Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who do you think would have been YE#1 under these circumstances?

• RAFA

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Novak

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Impossible to say

Votes: 9 40.9%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All else being equal, Novak would have played Tsitsipas in the SF, whom he had just demolished 1&2 in the Paris Quarterfinal.

What do you think would have happened? Who do you think would have been YE#1?

Hypothetically,
masterclass

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Well, Novak wasn't even close to beating Fed. A better question would be: what would have happened if Novak had beaten Thiem in RR? Anyway, I'm not losing my sleep over it. Even if he had beaten Thiem there was still a long way to go to win the whole tournament and get YE#1. I chose the last answer.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yep, title should have been Thiem, not Fed.

I think he possibly could have won the lot, since Tsitsipas would have taken Fed for him.

But then again, Zverev wouldn't have been easy in the semis.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Obviously difficult to say, but I don’t think Djokovic was playing well enough to win the title so probably still Nadal. Definitely wouldn’t have bet against Djokovic if he had reached the semis though.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
if nole would've won against domi maybe he might could've channeled some energy for the semi and final, but it wasn't meant to be. he checked out mentally against fed quite early on, and there was no way he'd turn it around this time the way fed was playing and the crowds cheering for him.
no hard feelings tho, 40-15 was the by far bigger prize.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Novak was playing at a challenger or level by the end of WTF. Tsitsipas would’ve wiped the floor with Djokovic same as Federer did to him

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Nole was physically done, washed out mentally after his loss to Thiem.

Even if magically defeating Federer, he could not have defeated Tsitsipas in the semis.

Even if I would have prefered Nole, Nadal deserves 2019 Year End #1.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Pointless discussion. We could ask if Rafa never got hurt in Paris would he won the WTF and Novak wouldn't of even been in the position he was in. But really who cares about either scenario?
Neither happened so its irrelevant.

Having said that even if Novak would of beat Roger I still think Tsitsipas would of beat him, perhaps Thiem as well. Remember unlike with Rafa the next gen guys the best of Novak quite often.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Rafa, even if Djok beat Fed. Tsitsi dismissed fed easily, but Rafa was the only one who beat Tsitsi.
Djok wasn't good enough for either Thiem or TSitsi or Rafa.
He just couldn't get it up.
Djok only had to beat Dimi and Shap in Paris.

Many of his own fans admitted he was flat, one even saying he should be fined for tanking.

Rafa is the true YE #1 and will be the ultimate GOAT.

Suck it up!

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
All else being equal, Novak would have played Tsitsipas in the SF, whom he had just demolished 1&2 in the Paris Quarterfinal.

Hypothetically,
masterclass
Yeah and Tsitsi breat Djok in Shanghai. Just a few weeks ago.

Things change. You should know this. But don't

·
Your visions will happen
48,620 Posts

Hypothetically,
masterclass
Well there is no "if" or "then" in athletics, my friend, you know this. What happened was Federer found his prime for one night in a huge moment and got the job done. Djokovic seemed flat to me all fall season. Even winning in Paris he looked underwhelming imo

·
The special one
14,382 Posts
Do you know what it's impossible to say. He could've went on and won it and claimed the YE no1 along the way, but the truth is he was beaten by the better player on the night. If Novak had beaten Federer he could've ended the year no1, but at the same time if Novak had lost that Wimby final he'd be further off the YE no1 ranking anyway.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Nadal still will get YE#1. No way Djokovic going pass Tsisitpas and Thiem playing like this. He checked out against Fed due to this reason, knowing Fed can't beat them as well.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Lucky?
Rafa didn't even play the US Open in 2012 and 2014, and retired from the 2018 US Open semis.
Rafa is by far the most unlucky 5-time year-end-#1 ever.
Those 2012 and 2014 withdrawals were basically chickening out to avoid losses(check IW 2019 and Bercy 2019 for reference)
The unluckiest 5-time is year-end-#1 Federer closely followed Djokovic.
Nadals YE #1 came due to injuries to rival(USO 2017/19),two massive chokes(Wimbledon 2008 and USO 2013) and the weakest field in this century(2010).Not to mention the weakest clay field in tennis history which allowed him to vulture left and right on clay

·
|
15,001 Posts
^ Nobody is a bigger victim of injuries than Rafa.
And you can claim what you want about chokes, since we all know chokes are pure fantasy.
But how do you call a clay era with Federer/Djokovic weak?
Heck, even Ferrer would win multiple French Open titles in the 1990s or 1980s....
Thiem too, would dominate any other clay era.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts