1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pre-USO Points:

Murray: 7450
Federer: 8065

Federer's win at Wimbledon was huge not only for the opportunity to play the final but for keeping an advantage in seeding for the USO:

Both will play in Montreal and Cincinnati so 2000 points in play there. Murray can also close the gap by gaining 320 points if he wins Washington, 120 points if he loses in the final in Washington, or 30 points if he wins both of his Davis cup matches.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Can Mugray do better than a 600 point advantage though? It will be close, but the true #3 is Mugray, he hasn't beaten Djokovic or Rogie since like 2013.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I give Murray 80% of chance finish #2, I don't think Fed is going both masters.
Last year, Fed was playing last match of night session everyday in Canada. he was probably running out of gas, got a breadstick from Ferrer out of all people in Cincy.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
It's possible, it'll be close though.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Since when USO seedings are decided by the race points, and not the overall points?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
There is a chance. Federer has alot to defend. And unlike last year where Nole sucked those M1000 and Rafa didnt play.

The only 2 players we dont know how if they will play are Milos and Ferrer.

·
Premium Member
62,012 Posts
I doubt Murray will outperform Federer with that much, but you never know. If he wins one and Djokovic wins the other it should be close.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Federer may not even play Montreal, he has missed that edition many times over the years

A good run in Cincinnati should take care of that 2 seed for NY.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Last year, Fed was playing last match of night session everyday in Canada. he was probably running out of gas, got a breadstick from Ferrer out of all people in Cincy.
The last three seasons Murray's best result at Can/Cinci was QF, probably saving his energy for USO only.

So it is questionable will Murray give his best at the both Masters too.

If I were Murray I would give my 101% to get to no.2, because it would almost certainly guarantied him an easy Fedal' half at USO, whereas if Nishi gets to no.4 instead of Stan, Murray could easily (as at the last USO) land in Djokovic' half with all the other HC contenders there Stan, Cilic, Stronga etc. .

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
If Federer doesn't play in Montreal, Murray probably leapfrogs him considering he would have extra 1500 pts available to work with..Either way Andy, isn't an obstacle to Federer's Slam quest, maybe he should take a crack at Djokovic in the semis rather than USO Final..He either won there or lost in very close 5 sets..

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
If Federer doesn't play in Montreal, Murray probably leapfrogs him considering he would have extra 1500 pts available to work with..Either way Andy, isn't an obstacle to Federer's Slam quest, maybe he should take a crack at Djokovic in the semis rather than USO Final..He either won there or lost in very close 5 sets..
Why do you think that Fed will not play Montreal? Have I missed something?

As for Murray, I really don't know. Fed seems to be still a bit better.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I expect Murray to successfully vulture Washington, so it will come down to who performs better at Montréal and Cincinnati I think. Slight edge to Murray as he's more consistent this year IMO.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
true, last year he seemed to over play causing a poor USOpen.

I prefer him being at #3 seed. He is the false #2.

But Murray as usual will choke.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts