Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Re: R1: Gabashvili def. Sousa 36 64 62

He has been such a choker on clay that it's not even funny. That game at 2-4 in the 3rd where he had 3 BPs...

There was a long break at 4-1 in the 3rd set. I wonder which one asked for a MTO.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts

He has been such a choker on clay that it's not even funny. That game at 2-4 in the 3rd where he had 3 BPs...

There was a long break at 4-1 in the 3rd set. I wonder which one asked for a MTO.
Sousa did

but he was never injured according to people who watched it

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Sousa did

but he was never injured according to people who watched it
He did hold to love in the very next game, so that is kind of strange. But on the other hand, he is close friend to Gaba and they are even practice partners in Barcelona, so I doubt João would pull that kind of trick against Gaba. Even looking at his historical, he doesn't pull those tricks against anyone.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

Sousa is struggling with his leg. 99% sure that he's out of Kitzbuhel. Needs to rest and slow down his practices.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

:haha: expected loss tbh

isnt this r2 though? sousa had a bye iirc

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts

Thanks for the details :cool:
Sousa grunts when he feels like it, was grunting from the first serve of the match, then grunting most points, stopped grunting randomly when he was losing. At times his grunts were so delayed it was laughable, literally starting his grunt as Gabashvili was lining up his shot. Sousa argues and rants at anyone who pisses him off too, he's almost impossible to like. I also expected him to have more game.... aside from his first service he had nothing apart from solid pushing.

In the third set he was moaning about his back and took a MTO. Basically any match I've seen of his when he's blown a lead he takes an MTO in the third set. He appeared to be ok. He played doubles an hour or so later and showed no signs of any physical issue whatsoever.

He's a motivated guy and generally a fighter, but there's a hell of a lot about his game and personality to dislike .

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

+1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts