Discussion Starter #1
Another good start and win for Guido, tough draw ahead

16-5 so far on the dirt is Great :nerd:

Next is Wawrinka :| f*ck :cuckoo:

Anyway keep it :sport:

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
And we keep talking and talking ... Pella is 28yo. Great win and kudos to him.

What's wrong with Medvedev now? He forgot how to play tennis :surprise:.

Nowadays, being young means being stupid :explode:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beating this Medvedev is serious stuff. And more when he is not known for great top wins. He's just playing above his level this year! not just being consistent

Anyone who actually watched this encounter can give details (?)

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Beating this Medvedev is serious stuff. And more when he is not known for great top wins. He's just playing above his level this year! not just being consistent

Anyone who actually watched this encounter can give details (?)
Let's put it this way. When Medvedev is in trouble he doens't have a plan B. Most 'youngsters' don't. It's like hit the ball hard an hope it will be in. They do not strategize.

You have to mix it up. Drop shot here and there, slice it. Go to the net. Only very top guys can do it. It's a tennis IQ if you wish.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts

What's wrong with Medvedev now? He forgot how to play tennis :surprise:.

Is there anything wrong?

He is 25-9 on the year. 8-3 on clay when he was supposed to suck on the surface. Just reached the Barcelona final 2 weeks ago, Monte Carlo semifinals the week before.

He is currently 6th in the Race to London.

He just lost to a great clay court player who is having a great year on this surface.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Is there anything wrong?

He is 25-9 on the year. 8-3 on clay when he was supposed to suck on the surface. Just reached the Barcelona final 2 weeks ago, Monte Carlo semifinals the week before.

He is currently 6th in the Race to London.

He just lost to a great clay court player who is having a great year on this surface.
bud, I was joking a bit. Nothing serious :wink2:.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Hope Pella gets another shot in screwing with Nadal. He played great in MC against the Spaniard.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hope Pella gets another shot in screwing with Nadal. He played great in MC against the Spaniard.
He could only meet Rafa in the quarters, and would have to beat first Wawrinka then probably Nishikori, very tough draw for Guido

But I am already very pleased that he beat Medvedev

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Let's put it this way. When Medvedev is in trouble he doesn't have a plan B. Most 'youngsters' don't. It's like hit the ball hard an hope it will be in. They do not strategize. You have to mix it up. Drop shot here and there, slice it. Go to the net. Only very top guys can do it. It's a tennis IQ if you wish.
Yes, this is one of the major differences between the next gen, the useless gen and the Big 3. The latter know how to adapt. They change things up. They come in with a plan B and even a plan C. They don't just keep doing the same thing over and over. They also play with more patience and know that if they make these adaptations, their opponent will likely not do the same, and so they keep winning. This is my major concern with these young players. Who the heck is training them?

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Yes, this is one of the major differences between the next gen, the useless gen and the Big 3. The latter know how to adapt. They change things up. They come in with a plan B and even a plan C. They don't just keep doing the same thing over and over. They also play with more patience and know that if they make these adaptations, their opponent will likely not do the same, and so they keep winning. This is my major concern with these young players. Who the heck is training them?
Well I think you clearly have the wrong example with Daniil Medvedev, most of the time I see him play long rallies from the back of the court, some may say he plays like a "pusher" and some other times I see him play very aggressive, for instance in Brisbane final this year.
What you say applies to the other Russian players (Andrey Rublev, Karen Khachanov).

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Well I think you clearly have the wrong example with Daniil Medvedev, most of the time I see him play long rallies from the back of the court, some may say he plays like a "pusher" and some other times I see him play very aggressive, for instance in Brisbane final this year.
What you say applies to the other Russian players (Andrey Rublev, Karen Khachanov).
Some people relish when one of NextGen loses to an older 'mug', without making distinctions between them and as though older greats never lost to them.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Fun stat - Average age of players who won today at Madrid : 29 :cuckoo: Still Federer and Ferrer left to finish but also lower aged players too.

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts
Let's put it this way. When Medvedev is in trouble he doens't have a plan B. Most 'youngsters' don't. It's like hit the ball hard an hope it will be in. They do not strategize.

You have to mix it up. Drop shot here and there, slice it. Go to the net. Only very top guys can do it. It's a tennis IQ if you wish.
This is an ongoing issue, particularly for the russian kids. All three of them, Medvedev, Rublev and Khachanov suffer from this.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
This is very accurate. Actually he is one of those players who won most of his matches where he had bad patches within. Mostly he kept playing passively (as it is the best way for him to turn it around with his opponents level fluctuating), but on quicker surfaces when it is needed he often goes for more too.

In fact, I don't think it is possible to find a player getting more out of his game by executing a smart gameplan than him. His FH is the most significant factor that limits him (particularly on clay), even being competitive against good claycourters with it can be considered a success. On the other hand we have Pella who is easily one of the best players on clay this year. His peak on this surface is simply higher than Medvedevs, criticizing Medvedevs gameplan makes totally no sense because it isn't the reason why he lost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts