Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
R. Federer: "I think N. Kyrgios has great potential. I really like his game"

Nick Kyrgios has earned high praise from tennis legend Roger Federer after another encouraging Grand Slam showing at the French Open.

Kyrgios, at 19 the youngest man in the draw, was outclassed but far from disgraced in a 6-3 7-6(1) 6-3 first-round loss to eighth seed Milos Raonic on Sunday.

The Canberra teenager spent a week training with Federer in Zurich as part of preparations for Roland Garros and he made a strong impression on the 17-time major champion.

“I really like his game,” Federer said of Kyrgios after the Swiss fourth seed opened with a comfortable 6-2 6-4 6-2 win over Slovakia’s Lukas Lacko on Sunday.

“I think he’s very open to trying out things, going for the big shots. I think he’s got really great potential.”

But Federer also urged the 193cm teen not to let his talent go to waste.

“I think he’s strong physically but clearly he needs to keep working hard now to make sure he makes the next move and he’s solid for five hours, solid for two weeks, solid for one year, all that stuff,” Federer said.

Former top-ranked junior Kyrgios has struggled in the past with his fitness and admits he’s still some way off being physically ready for the rigours of the men’s tour.

He upset Czech veteran Radek Stepanek at Roland Garros in his Grand Slam debut last year, and also won his first round match at the Australian Open, but struggled to back it up in second round matches.

Kyrgios felt his performance against Raonic, where he had his chances and led 4-2 in the second set, showed he was already making significant progress.

“I was getting to a lot of balls I wasn’t going to get to last year,” Kyrgios said.

“I was feeling fine physically out there so I can take away that I’ve done a lot more hard work as well.”

"I had numerous chances where I could have taken them and taken that second set," Kyrgios said. "Who knows? Would have been much closer than the scoreline says."

The positive, he says, was that "I was creating chances against a top-10 player, and I think that's always (building) confidence, you're going to walk away confident. I didn't back up well after my first round last year. You know, I was feeling fine physically out there, so I can take away that I've done a lot more hard work as well."

Having suffered from wrist, elbow and shoulder injuries in the past eight months, and been sidelined for six months after his dramatic second-round loss at the Australian Open, remaining healthy remains the Canberran's main ambition, for now.

"I think just getting better, feeling stronger, I think that's my main priority. Being young versus the older guys, they're so much stronger and really used to backing up matches day after day. I don't think I have that quite yet.
"But I'm always improving. I think I'm miles better than I was. Obviously my serve is usually my strength, but today was probably not a great serving day. Sometimes that's the way it goes."

Kyrgios will compete in the mixed doubles at Roland Garros alongside Swiss teenager Belinda Bencic, who fell to Venus Williams in the opening round of the women’s singles on Sunday.

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2014/05/26/federer-holds-high-praise-for-kyrgios

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/nick-kyrgios-first-australian-to-bow-out-of-french-open-20140525-zrntj.html

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: R. Federer: "I think N. Kyrgios has great potential. I really like his game"

But Federer also urged the 193cm teen not to let his talent go to waste.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Re: R. Federer: "I think N. Kyrgios has great potential. I really like his game"

Federer putting the kiss of death onto another young hopeful tennis player :worship:

Expect to never hear about Kyrgios ever again, apart from maybe a future bleachers report article entitled "what ever happened to Nick Kyrgios"

·
Registered
8,950 Posts

Fed's always been a great mentor and knows how difficult it is for rookies. He treats them with kid gloves during their formative years.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

He doesn't look Australian

·
Registered
351 Posts

I can't like Kyrgios. What a douche. The clipper lines on the side of the head, the attitude, breaks his racket against his foot because he got broken, the antics, the earring... Typical douche package, glad he got routined.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts

Old bot looking out for young bot. Kinda sweet.

·
Registered
57,595 Posts

I can't like Kyrgios. What a douche. The clipper lines on the side of the head, the attitude, breaks his racket against his foot because he got broken, the antics, the earring... Typical douche package, glad he got routined.
He does seem cocky but I like the emotion he puts into it. And on the plus side, he's not Sock.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts

All you needed to post, mate.

·
Registered
744 Posts

Can't stand him.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts

Didn't know a country of immigrants could have a particular look.
Most Aussies look like me.

·
Registered
943 Posts

Federer putting the kiss of death onto another young hopeful tennis player :worship:

Expect to never hear about Kyrgios ever again, apart from maybe a future bleachers report article entitled "what ever happened to Nick Kyrgios"
As if it's as bad as Murray's kiss of death on Caroline Garcia :spit:

·
Registered
12,617 Posts

Didn't know a country of immigrants could have a particular look.
don't let blueclay hear you say this

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

He doesn't look Australian
how does an australian look like? :spit: come on. there have been lots of immigrants out there, so...

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

As if it's as bad as Murray's kiss of death on Caroline Garcia :spit:
well garcia at least is a top 50 player nowadays and has won a title

1 - 20 of 20 Posts