Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2587 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Reactions: Motoflou

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

It's not a stupid question. Conditions are different indoors and affect the ball and players differently. Someone can go further and explain more.

For example indoor Wimbledon is not the same conditions as indoor Bercy or Melbourne.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

No wind = less friction for the ball to travel or switch direction. Thus, u have to rely on ur tennis skills (yes, real tennis skills, no moonballing included) to win matches.

Humidity plays an important role on that too.

besides, when roof is closed, your prayers cant reach God that fast, so its only you in course, nobody else :)

·
Registered
7,805 Posts

One of the biggest differences is that indoor courts have a more true bounce. Many outdoor courts are a bit uneven/imperfect due to weather and simply getting a lot of wear and tear and sometimes poor maintenance.

Indoor courts on the other hand are more protected and it's easier to keep both the actual surface and the lines in perfect condition.

This also favors a skilled player as you can play with smaller margins.

I also want to add that just because you put a roof over Wimbledons CC doesn't mean it's a real indoor court. It's somewhere inbetween. It's an outdoor court with a roof over and practically indoor conditions in terms of no wind, different humidity etc but not true indoor because then everything should be adapted to only be played indoors.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts

Thus, u have to rely on ur tennis skills (yes, real tennis skills, no moonballing included) to win matches.
:haha:

·
Registered
9,702 Posts

No wind = less friction for the ball to travel or switch direction. Thus, u have to rely on ur tennis skills (yes, real tennis skills, no moonballing included) to win matches.

Humidity plays an important role on that too.

besides, when roof is closed, your prayers cant reach God that fast, so its only you in course, nobody else :)
:haha:

this thread should stay in GM, mods.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts

SQ #2...Why the scoring in a game is 15/30/40 and how it was created?

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

SQ# 3: What roof closes faster: Rod Laver Arena or Wimbledon's Center Court?
AO's final had a break because they had to close the roof, and it didn't last extremely long. Of course they don't have the dew problem as it's hardcourt, but IIRC the roof closed faster than at Wimby.

·
28,561 Posts

Thanks HC and August.

SQ # 4: Why is getting roofs for all major slam courts (3 show courts in every slam) not possible considering the organizations that rule each slam have plenty of money? Shouldn't it have been done by now?
Say you had tons of money and each year you went to Hawaii for two weeks, do you buy a home in Hawaii or do you rent a super nice one each year and hope it is available the next year?

·
Registered
22,412 Posts

SQ # 5: Why did they build Wimbledon next to a residential area?

or

SQ # 5: Why did the residential area get built next to Wimbledon

which ever one applies:p

·
Registered
9,702 Posts

Say you had tons of money and each year you went to Hawaii for two weeks, do you buy a home in Hawaii or do you rent a super nice one each year and hope it is available the next year?
I think you are being very stupid by asking me questions when I asked you a question first. Answer straight please.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts

I think we have to number our stupid questions here

I will answer you anyway.

A: I would not go to Hawaii because of threat of Volcanos. Instead I would go to Florida every year and I would buy a house there

·
28,561 Posts

I think you are being very stupid by asking me questions when I asked you a question first. Answer straight please.
It seemed straight forward to me. Why spend whatever Wimbledon spent on a roof that might be used once or twice a year? It just doesn't make sense, and no matter how impatient a few fans are on the internet, the majority of people in the world can wait an hour if it rains, they don't need there to be a roof.

·
28,561 Posts

I think we have to number our stupid questions here

I will answer you anyway.

A: I would not go to Hawaii because of threat of Volcanos. Instead I would go to Florida every year and I would buy a house there
That was the answer to his stupid question about roofs haha. Good answer still.

·
Registered
50 Posts

SQ #2...Why the scoring in a game is 15/30/40 and how it was created?
I can't remember the source but I remember reading somewhere that in the beginning they used to score matches using an analog clock. So the scored went 0..15..30..45..60(game). Soon they realized that they needed to make it so that a player can't win a game with just a one point difference and the scoring was modified to 0..15..30..40.(50).60(game). Later people started calling 40 all as deuce and 50 as adv.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts

That was the answer to his stupid question about roofs haha. Good answer still.
I know :p

·
Registered
9,702 Posts

It seemed straight forward to me. Why spend whatever Wimbledon spent on a roof that might be used once or twice a year? It just doesn't make sense, and no matter how impatient a few fans are on the internet, the majority of people in the world can wait an hour if it rains, they don't need there to be a roof.
Affirmative, Colonel Snowwy.

1 - 20 of 2587 Posts