Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just an observation.

Whenever nike releases a new apparel catalogue, roger and maria seem to have the unique ones even if other players have the same outfit.

For example:

In Miami, roger wore that red shirt while all the other players sponsored by nike wore the white colored version or opted for the sleeveless ones.

In Wimby, roger was the only one who wore that white shirt for that tournament even if other players were sponsored by the same brand. The same goes for maria in wimby as well.

In cincy, roger wore a different shirt once again that no other nike player had.

Now heading into the USO, both have a different set of colored version outfits compared to the rest of the field.

The question now is… does nike provide totally unique ones to their top player? Or is there a rule for other nike players that they cannot wear the same outfit that the number 1 wears when in the same tournament?

It’s just weird that the coincidences are getting very frequent…

of course, we all know about the famous golden shoes in wimby was an exception...

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
I'll have to wait and see if Lalo wears the same outfit as Rafa before I comment on this

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, what i meant was for this thread were the number 1 players.

rafa would be an exception. come to think of it, i think he's nike's corporate tool for apparel experimentation since nadal would seem to wear anything given to him by nike...

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
megadeth said:
no, what i meant was for this thread were the number 1 players.

rafa would be an exception. come to think of it, i think he's nike's corporate tool for apparel experimentation since nadal would seem to wear anything given to him by nike...
It's not just that he'll wear anything - it's that he'll wear anything, has a high profile, and has both the body and personality to pull off outfits that would be ridiculous on anybody else.

I mean, Robby Ginepri, God bless him, is not going to make the Nike capris fly off the shelves. Rafael Nadal will.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, before this turns into another nadal defense thread (w/c i'm quite tired of already), can we just return to the topic? i'm interested to hear your views on this one...

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Who was defending him? I was not aware he was being insulted. We are clearly not a part of the same conversation. I find this happens a lot on MTF.

As for the topic, since apparently Rafa having having his own line of Nike "firsts" apparently is not the topic, yes, Fed and Sharapova get their clothes "first".

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chloe said:
Who was defending him? I was not aware he was being insulted. We are clearly not a part of the same conversation. I find this happens a lot on MTF.

As for the topic, since apparently Rafa having having his own line of Nike "firsts" apparently is not the topic, yes, Fed and Sharapova get their clothes "first".
i didn't say directly that you were defending him. but it's just that anytime anyone mentions rafa in any topic, some rafa fan would just go oooooooonnnnnnn and then go off tangent from the desired topic in discussion.

sorry if you felt instigated that way... :angel:

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
megadeth said:
i didn't say directly that you were defending him. but it's just that anytime anyone mentions rafa in any topic, some rafa fan would just go oooooooonnnnnnn and then go off tangent from the desired topic in discussion.

sorry if you felt instigated that way... :angel:
What's that you said about Rafa's momma? Oh no you di'int! *snap*

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
megadeth said:
Practice what you preach.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chloe said:
What's that you said about Rafa's momma? Oh no you di'int! *snap*
what the hell did i say about rafa's momma? i didn't mention rafa's momma at any given time in these forums.

you probably got the wrong guy...

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I don't think there is anything specific for Roger, last year Lalo was wearing the exact same outfit as him (again him) at Roland Garros. Maybe Rog has different tastes, as simple as that, and players like to have their own stuff... the only stuff was these golden plated shoes in Wimby this year.

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
and what the heck is that supposed to mean?
I'm sorry. It was probably a bit harsh of me.

But, I'm a bit amazed by some talk here.
Maybe some of the Rafa fans seem a little oversensitive to you (and some probably are indeed) but they don't seem to look at both sides of the coin and they don't seem to notice what triggers the defensive reactions.

I mean, if you write things like:
think he looks like a corporate tool...

to me it looks like he's competing in a figure skating tournament or is one of the dancers in a ballet show...
Are you really surprised that some people react to that? That's what happens in a message board: if one person writes his/her opinion in a strong way, you're bound to attract strong counter-reactions.
So, yes...you will find defensive reactions just as much as you will find offensive reactions. IMO, some people fail to see both sides of that coin. Point out the defensive reactions but ignore the offensive ones.
(don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with your opinion at all but if you write something in a message board, you have to take into account that some people will strongly disagree)

Now, is Rafa a corporate tool?
Perhaps he is to a certain degree but most of these players are. Most of these guys just wear what the sponsor gives them. Rafa usually tests his outfits in practice before he wears it in a tournament to check if it's comfortable enough. If it is...than he will wear what Nike gives them.
Remember the golden shoes Maria and Roger had on in Wimbledon?
Rafa is just catching a lot of attention with his Nike gear right now.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i guess i expect too much that when a strong opinion was brought up in another thread, it would totally be independent from a another thread.

anyway, i'll try to contain myself. it's just for fun anyways and just to bring out some opinions...

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
i'll try to contain myself
No, there's no need for that but don't be surprised by the counter-reaction. That's all. A message board is often a place where extreme views collide.

OK...a reply on topic this time.

Whenever nike releases a new apparel catalogue, roger and maria seem to have the unique ones even if other players have the same outfit.

For example:

In Miami, roger wore that red shirt while all the other players sponsored by nike wore the white colored version or opted for the sleeveless ones.
I'm curious what Roger will wear in the USO.

Of course, as the number one player and the dominant one, Nike is going to pay special attention to Roger (as well as to Maria). That's only normal.
Just like in Wimbledon, Nike wanted to point out that they have the golden children of tennis under contract (the defending champions) by letting them wear golden shoes.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
I saw another player at Wimbledon with the exact same shirt as Roger. No one had the same shoes, of course. :lol: And the shoes Roger was wearing at AA Kids Day were ones I'ves seen Lleyton wear earlier this year.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Castafiore said:
I'm curious what Roger will wear in the USO.

Of course, as the number one player and the dominant one, Nike is going to pay special attention to Roger (as well as to Maria). That's only normal.
Just like in Wimbledon, Nike wanted to point out that they have the golden children of tennis under contract (the defending champions) by letting them wear golden shoes.
Well, aside from the "golden" shoes, when has Nike paid special attention to Roger? I've yet to see in a tournament this year Roger wearing something that no one else was wearing. In Indian Wells he had on the same shoes as Lleyton, just blue whereas Lleyton's were black (and Roger, Lletyon and Rafa all had worn those blue shoes at AO). In Miami & RG he had on the same shirt as Andre, just different colors. And his outfit at Wimbleon, sans the shoes, was not unique either. Maybe he'll be wearing something completely different today (if he ever gets to play), but my guess is the design will be just like what he wore in Cincy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts