Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
4,133 Posts
NicoFan said:
Hey Socket - just sent you a pm.

Thanks again for the info, and no problem about the gender mistake - hard to know what gender people are here unless you've "chatted" with them on different forums awhile.

Nico can you send us some fresh info, or some news how some players preparing for tournament .... thanks :wavey:

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
SonicCRO said:
Nico can you send us some fresh info, or some news how some players preparing for tournament .... thanks :wavey:
I will definitely give a report...but unfortunately you'll have to wait until Thursday because I'm not going until Wednesday... :sad:

I will check out a lot of players...not only Nico...though he's the only one that counts...lol! ;)

·
Banned
4,133 Posts
NicoFan said:
I will definitely give a report...but unfortunately you'll have to wait until Thursday because I'm not going until Wednesday... :sad:

I will check out a lot of players...not only Nico...though he's the only one that counts...lol! ;)
:D :D , Ok thanks , send some info here on Thursday it will be good news from the first hand :wavey:

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
SwissMister1 said:
So people like me can go after work, and not have to take time off :p
DC is a very 9-5 working kind of town. If they want the politcal people, etc. to show up, they have to schedule the matches for the evenings.
During the late 90s when the tournament was held in July, they still played a 1:30 session & an evening session every day. A lot of the players (including Michael Chang) complained that it was unfair to make some players play day matches (when it was hotter) early in the week, depleting their energy by the final weekend (when everyone has to play day matches). The ATP (not the tournament) dictated that all early week sessions start at 4:00 p.m. & also that the tournament be permanently moved to August instead of July. Ironically it really hasn't been that hot in July for any long period of time since then (until this year).
NicoFan said:
Good thing you said that smucav - I just called - can't get in until 3:00.
Well, that stinks. Half the fun of going to a tournament is watching practice here you can be very close and take some pictures.
If Nico is scheduled on the main stadium on Wednesday, I may not go after all. Won't be able to see him close up so why bother. I'd rather save my time/money for a tournament where I can see him up close.
What a total bummer. I've looked so forward to this tournament. :sad:
I did notice today that there were a bunch of people right outside the gate around 2:30 waiting for the gate/box office to open. You can see the three smaller practice courts from there & that's what most of them were doing to kill time.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
That's odd that the ATP would do something like that for DC but not for any of the other MANY tourneys that are played when it is significantly hotter during the day than at night (LA, DC, Indian Wells, Miami, Indianapolis, and the list goes on and on and on)...

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Debstah said:
That's odd that the ATP would do something like that for DC but not for any of the other MANY tourneys that are played when it is significantly hotter during the day than at night (LA, DC, Indian Wells, Miami, Indianapolis, and the list goes on and on and on)...
There was an article in the Post about it when it happened. The tournament obviously didn't want to do it since they would rather sell tickets for two sessions a day instead of one, but after a heat index of +100 for five years straight & multiple player complaints they had no choice but to do what the ATP wanted. I think there were some issues with fans passing out in the stands as well. (Probably tourists; people that live here are used to the heat/humidity, but obese tourists--who make up the majority of visitors to Washington--are always collapsing on the Metro or the Mall.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts