Which was the most painful Federer loss

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which of these losses was most painful? We know which one it was for Federer- 2009 AO, by his reaction. He was used to losing to Nadal on clay, but now it happened on grass and hard as well!

·
Registered
370 Posts
AO 2009. At Wimby, Rafa had already been getting better and better with every year. More importantly, at Wimby, Roger fought till the end. At AO 2009 he seemed to have given up during that last set.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
dont get tired of this q?

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
I think AO 09 could be the most painful loss of Fed's career because after he lost that it looked like he can't beat Nadal no matter what form he's in and was still in his prime.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
of those personally w 2014 because it could have been at that time a last opportunity.

Overall, i'd say any FO final loss against Nadal was tougher though.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
2018 Wimbledon QF.

Federer would’ve destroyed Isner then Rafa in the final. Instead Djokovic stole a slam he didn’t deserve

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
And why exactly didn't Djokovic deserve it? Because he would have lost this hypothetical final to Federer - a match that only exists in the minds of the tards?:facepalm::
If Federer had defeated Anderson in the QF, he most likely would have defeated Isner in straight sets, which means Rafa and Djokovic's SF match would have been an outdoor match. Considering that Novak barely defeated Nadal in favourable conditions, I have no doubt that had their match taken place outdoors, Nadal would have won to set up a Fedal final.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
If Federer had defeated Anderson in the QF, he most likely would have defeated Isner in straight sets, which means Rafa and Djokovic's SF match would have been an outdoor match. Considering that Novak barely defeated Nadal in favourable conditions, I have no doubt that had their match taken place outdoors, Nadal would have won to set up a Fedal final.
Federer's season was full of ifs, but it's what actually happened that counts.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If Federer had defeated Anderson in the QF.
And we know he didn't! Speculation prior to that match was that Federer would easily beat Anderson. But he did not! And yet people argue he would have beaten Isner very easily in 3 sets and not a long unending match like the Anderson- Isner one (people conveniently ignore that Anderson- Federer 5th set went to 13-11), this would have meant that Nadal would have beaten Djokovic and then Federer would have beaten Nadal. Unfortunately we don't live in a parallel universe. Besides none of these speculative theories make Djokovic's slam undeserved!

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
USO 2011 was worse than Wimbledon 2014.

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
Federer's season was full of ifs, but it's what actually happened that counts.
No doubt. I hope next season we are talking more about 'what actually happened' and less about 'ifs' in regards to Federer.

And we know he didn't! Speculation prior to that match was that Federer would easily beat Anderson. But he did not! And yet people argue he would have beaten Isner very easily in 3 sets and not a long unending match like the Anderson- Isner one (people conveniently ignore that Anderson- Federer 5th set went to 13-11), this would have meant that Nadal would have beaten Djokovic and then Federer would have beaten Nadal. Unfortunately we don't live in a parallel universe. Besides none of these speculative theories make Djokovic's slam undeserved!
I never said his slam win was undeserved. All I said was that he got quite a bit fortunate with the roof closing.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
For me all of his losses were painful, period.... but I feel it more acutely at Wimbledon 2018 (I think he just missed his big chance and also there is recency bias)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
It says something that AO 09 is leading by a landslide even though Fed won AO 17. It is a huge pain and if Fed had won that all GOAT debates would have been essentially over.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
The point is that Federer has had fewer painful losses than any tennis player in history. GOAT.
Rome 2006
Wimby 2008
AO 2009
USO 2009
Wimby 2014
USO 2010
USO 2011
USO 2015

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
For me all of his losses were painful, period.... but I feel it more acutely at Wimbledon 2018 (I think he just missed his big chance and also there is recency bias)
Allow me to disagree :p

The loss stings no doubt but first of all it wasn’t against his biggest rivals so the loss stings a bit less and besides he’s already 37 so everything he wins at this stage is really a bonus, and he’s won 8 Wimbledon titles, to put it into perspective, besides would he have been able to beat Djokovic or Nadal in the final if he couldn’t even beat KAndy? He also won a slam this year, really I can’t compare it to Wimbledon 2014 or AO 2009 where it was a loss to his biggest rivals and missed opportunities to break a record, which he eventually did anyway. IMO

1 - 20 of 47 Posts