Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and there is even no masters series played on grass. I do believe atp can shorten the clay season and start it earlier (end of march and finish by mid of may) and add some grass tournaments specially a MS event on grass. ofcousre it will also give players more time to adjust their game to grass before the wimb.

what do u guys have to say........

·
29,645 Posts
They need to make less HC if they want more grass. There doesn't need to be 4 HC AMS for example.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I agree with rocketassist. I think there should be more grass court tournaments, but they need to take away from the HC season, not the clay season, to make room for them.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Not this old chestnut again, basically what Rocket is saying is right. The hardcourt season needs to be shortened, not the clay season. Hardcourts have the majority of big money events, yes the big 13 events, 4 are on clay and 1 is on grass, the others well no genius to work it out.

Hardcourts can be laid anywhere, cheaper to maintain than grass, less maintenance costs and more profits.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I agree with rocketassist. I think there should be more grass court tournaments, but they need to take away from the HC season, not the clay season, to make room for them.
I totally agree. I think a grass MS event is a must!

it'd be nice to have more grass tournaments. maybe by taking away some of the HC, there'd be less stress on the joints as well.
Bang on! (unfortunately money comes before players health!)

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
Grass court tennis is in such a sorry state right now. Wimbledone is slower than the US and you get one MM tournament to warm up. No wonder 90% of the tour can't slice or volley.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Many of the grass court tournaments in the past, including Australian Open and US Open, have switched to hard courts simply because it costs a lot to maintain grass courts. It's sad, but I doubt there are any tournaments that are happy to change the surface to grass.
And yes, there are too many hard court tournaments atm.

Reactions: StevoTG

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Many of the grass court tournaments in the past, including Australian Open and US Open, have switched to hard courts simply because it costs a lot to maintain grass courts. It's sad, but I doubt there are any tournaments that are happy to change the surface to grass.
And yes, there are too many hard court tournaments atm.
Could the ATP not flex their muscles and apply some pressure? Or even better offer cash supplements/reward/aid for tourneys willing to switch to grass. (and help Queens and Halle upgrade facilities to MS level).

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
A longer grass season, where the grass actually is fast enough to make serve and volley lethal again, yes please. One can always dream.

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
Thank you for a highly original, never discussed before topic. Your ideas are one of a kind and nobody else might have thought about this before you enlightened us. A search in the vast archives of MTF for discussions on this very same question would be entirely fruitless, such is the degree of originality of the OP.

Not.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Could the ATP not flex their muscles and apply some pressure? Or even better offer cash supplements/reward/aid for tourneys willing to switch to grass. (and help Queens and Halle upgrade facilities to MS level).
Good thought but I doubt it will happen.
Another obstacle is that there are only two weeks between RG and Wimbledon. If Queens or Halle is to be raised to MS level, which I think would be great, there must be at least three weeks between the end of RG and the start of Wimbledon. And I don't think it's only the stubbornness of RG and Wimbledon refusing to change the dates that is making the calendar change difficult. Annual sports calendar is fixed so firmly so that big events like tennis grand slams, Formula-One grand prix and golf masters don't crash with each other for TV and newspaper coverage, which can affect sponsorship deals if gone wrong. I read somewhere that the reason AO can't be moved to March is that then it will crash with the Australian Grand Prix. There should be more weeks between RG and Wimbledon, no doubt, but i guess there are more problems to do so than we fans can fathom. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Good thought but I doubt it will happen.
Another obstacle is that there are only two weeks between RG and Wimbledon. If Queens or Halle is to be raised to MS level, which I think would be great, there must be at least three weeks between the end of RG and the start of Wimbledon. And I don't think it's only the stubbornness of RG and Wimbledon refusing to change the dates. Annual sports calendar is fixed so that big events like tennis grand slams, Formula-One grand prix and golf masters don't crash with each other for TV and newspaper coverage, which can affect sponsorship deals as well. I read somewhere that the reason AO can't be moved to March is that then it will crash with the Australian Grand Prix. There should be more weeks between RG and Wimbledon, no doubt, but i guess there are more problems to do so than we fans can fathom. :shrug:
True, I'd like to see the ATP make more of an effort though. Moving RG and Wimby a week each way would leave enough room, but as you say even this would be highly unlikely.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't get the appeal of watching a player serve himself to another grandslam win. With the surface slowed down Wimbledon has turned into a harcourt tournament last few years anyway. Traditional grass court tennis is dead. Good riddance.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Don't get the appeal of watching a player serve himself to another grandslam win. With the surface slowed down Wimbledon has turned into a harcourt tournament last few years anyway. Traditional grass court tennis is dead. Good riddance.
I see your point. Although what I like about tennis is the variety, and there is a danger the way it's going that all players will start to play the same, grinding from the baseline and viewing volleys as some form of witchcraft. That's boring.

Sure, the faster surfaces favour the big servers, or the tall guys, but by that token clay favours the grinders. Part of the appeal of tennis is seeing players adapt and finding ways to win, and it's a thrill to see a clash of styles. Sadly, it doesn't happen often these days.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i mentioned clay bcz i hate the dirtball season, HC matches are more fun to watch as
compared to slow boring long clay matches which make me sleepy but ofcourse atp will not run on what i
hate and what i dont

and as about about reducing HC events, i think indian wells MS is one that should be scrapped
as there are 4 MS events played in North america, so making them three shouldnt have much impact and also there is no
need to have back to back HC MS tournaments in march and that also in usa. Miami is the most
prestigious MS which some alos call the 5th slam so that is enough. there is no need for indian wells event.

Now if indian wells is scrapped, dubai can be moved into feb where there is not much tennis activity and miami to the start of
of march and clay season can then be easily started by mid of march and finished by mid of may and that will leave us
with more than a month (6 weeks) before wimb and ofcourse MS on grass can than easily be placed replacing the indian wells MS.

and if somehow usa were to have some problem with the scrapping of indian wells MS or reducing of 4 to 3 events
then there is a still a way to make them happy. yes, that is to have the grass MS in america.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Stop dreaming, it's not going to happen, if they get one week extra in between RG and Wimbledon, that is a huge success.

5th Slam is bullshit as well, anyone who is anyone knows Houston is the 5th Slam.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Indian Wells is the best attended event outside of the slams and has the second biggest center court in the world (after Ashe). Too much to do away with IMO.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for a highly original, never discussed before topic. Your ideas are one of a kind and nobody else might have thought about this before you enlightened us. A search in the vast archives of MTF for discussions on this very same question would be entirely fruitless, such is the degree of originality of the OP.

Not.
Now listen boy, if u dont like it, simply dont read it or did i made u read it, i guess no

1 - 20 of 44 Posts