Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking a test recently, and it looked like this:

Les familles
25F
Sauf vendredi, samedi, dimanche
Fêtes et les jours après les fêtes
(It didn't exactly say: les jours après les fêtes, it had some word for it... but that's not important!)

Anyway, this was on a movie poster listing prices. The question I had to answer was:

Tes deux frères, ta mère et ton père vous accomangent au cinéma à dimanche. Combien d'argent est-ce que chacun va payer pour sa place?
(Again, that's not exactly how it was worded.. I just remember them using the word chacun :lol: )

So, in english it says:

Except friday, saturday, sunday
Holidays et the days after holidays

Your 2 brothers, your mother and your father accompany you to the cinema on Sunday. How much money is each going to pay for their spot?

I answered 25 Francs :tape:
I figured, it's Sunday BUT it says:
Sauf vendredi, samedi, dimanche
Fêtes
et les jours après les fêtes

With no comma in between dimanche and fêtes... and the capital F didn't mean anything because on everyone the 2nd line was capitalized even if it was in the middle of a sentence!

So, my question: Would the French ever say: "dimanche fêtes" and mean "Sunday holidays"? Or am I stupid? :lol: I'm probably stupid...

And my other question: When the French say "soir", what time are they talking about? Anytime after noon, or does it start at like 7 PM?

Because another question said that Old people payed only 25F but only from 1-5 PM... And a question asked: You take your grand mother to the movies that evening (soir), how much will she pay? I put 25F because I thought 5 was considered soir :shrug:. I mean to say 2 PM isn't it deux heures DU SOIR??

·
Registered
26,748 Posts
2PM is "2 heures de l'après-midi" (afternoon). But say 9PM would be "9 heures du soir".
It's just me but I'd say "5 heures de l'après-midi" but "6 heures du soir". :scratch:

We don't say "dimanche fêtes". We do say things like "dimanche et fêtes" or "dimanche et jours fériés".

Hope it helps but given what you posted I can't figure out how much they'd have to pay. :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
the poster is a little old, we don't use the francs anymore for a few years
and for answer the 1st question, they can't pay 25 francs since it's the price except sunday and holidays (if it was sundays of holidays, there wouldn't be a capital at Fêtes and it would be written dimanches de fêtes)
5pm is not le soir, I'd say le soir starts at 7-8pm

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
You need a mathematician to figure that out :shrug:, not a French speaker... :D :p

j/k

Comment vas tu? :wavey:

Exactement! Peut etre. :lol:

The link is missing prix d'admision: etcera. :confused: :lol: (I see the 25 but it should be more clear)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts