Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Re: Federer vs Nadal- 7-6 ( 9-7) 4-6 7-6 (7-3) 2-6 6-2 Wimbledon

He had 15-40 twice in the fifth. Federer did step up, served very well on those points and combined with Nadal not playing at top of his level, saved all break points.

I can't believe this thread is genuine. Read my response quick before the thread is merged or deleted!

·
Banned
59,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I just read the article and it got me thinking.

rafa really was soooooooo close..

Maybe he will never get so close ever again like he did that day on grass.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts

Federer 2-1 Nadal
Fabulous backhand volley from Federer but Nadal hits back with a fine backhand down the line. That's classic Nadal, wrapping his racquet round the ball on the run and whipping it across Federer and he earns two break points when Federer balloons a backhand long. Nadal, however, blows both, missing the line with an attempted forehand winner on the second. Advantage Federer as Nadal finds the net with a forehand and Federer shows some serious grit to hold, whipping a forehand down the line. The defending champion dodges a bullet.

Federer 3-2 Nadal
Roger's timing is temporarily off and he frames a backhand wide. Nothing wrong with the next point though, sending a booming serve down the middle and finishing it off with a forehand winner. Federer goes long, and loses a challenge, to make it 15-30 and he hands Nadal another two break points by spooning a forehand wide. This is getting serious. Nadal blows the first, sending a forehand just long, and Roger shows his manliness with a thunderous serve straight down the middle. Federer is some scrapper - Nadal goes long to hand him the advantage before finding the net with a forehand to hand the Swiss the game. This is sport at its best, and certainly the best men's final since Ivanisevic v Rafter in 2001.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Yeah, was a great match. Federer went a bit crazy out there, and seemed to think he was destined to lose. He was able to step it up when it mattered though - sign of a great champion. Nadal played an amazing match though, great effort from him.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Re: Question about 15-40 situations in the 5th of the Federer&Nadal 2007 Wimbledon fi

Roger definitly got tight for a few moments there (yes, okay - and through most of that forth set - what a nightmare!) but found his heart, his grit and champion mentality to pull off the win.

What a moment that was. I couldn't believe he won. I was so drained after the match has ended.

Poor Rafa, that was quite a blow.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Re: Question about 15-40 situations in the 5th of the Federer&Nadal 2007 Wimbledon fi

I didn't see anything special in the second 15-40 situation--the serving was impressive but it wasn't a huge step up. at 2-2 it was a wide second serve and at 30-40 it was a good first down the T. Deuce saw Rafa hitting a routine backhand long. At 1-1 I didn't see anything out of the ordinary either. I recall Rafa going for a shot and missing by only a few inches and just not playing that well on those points or subsequent points either for that matter.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts

I remember thinking at the time that Nadal wasted at least two of the points. Muppet.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts

Nadal made one UE, two forced errors and Federer hit one winner on the BP's themselves.

·
Banned
235 Posts

I'm still shitting my pants when I think of this damn forehand return he hit on bp, he didn't do it the whole match. Should've just moonballed it on Rog's backhand and he'd be the champ.:sad:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Is it still July? :eek:

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts

Federer 2-1 Nadal
Fabulous backhand volley from Federer but Nadal hits back with a fine backhand down the line. That's classic Nadal, wrapping his racquet round the ball on the run and whipping it across Federer and he earns two break points when Federer balloons a backhand long. Nadal, however, blows both, missing the line with an attempted forehand winner on the second. Advantage Federer as Nadal finds the net with a forehand and Federer shows some serious grit to hold, whipping a forehand down the line. The defending champion dodges a bullet.
That forehand was the big one. He was in control of the point, and it's a shot he'd make 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Credit where due, Federer played pretty well on the rest.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Re: Question about 15-40 situations in the 5th of the Federer&Nadal 2007

First break point - Nadal can't handle the serve
Second break point - Nadal is in control of the point but a deep running forehand from Fed forces the error from Nadal.
Third break point - Great second serve from Fed.
Fourth break point - Great first serve from Fed.

EDIT: The only part of the final that I really felt Nadal "blinked" was in the third set at 5-6 15-30. He had a short, routine forehand that he netted. After that Federer missed like one first serve until the fourth set.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I was too nervous i turned my TV off at the first 15-40...going around my room for some time, turned it on again to see another 15-40, so i turned it off again....and the next time i turned it on Roger was holding a break point and broke...;))))
What a lucky break for my heart....

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

missing the line with an attempted forehand winner on the second.
But I took solace in the fact that he "went" for his shot. And, to be honest, given the level of play, he HAD to take a chance. No risk, no reward...but credit due for going for it...and NOT playing passive, clay-court tennis.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts

I remember thinking at the time that Nadal wasted at least two of the points. Muppet.
If I recall correctly, I think he only had a chance on one - his forehand went long. The other point in that game to save bp was a very good second serve. In the other game in which he had bps, I didn't think Nadal had a chance with those pts.

·
Registered
309 Posts

The entire final was poor from roger. I think he has figured out rafa a bit more now.

Attack the nadal forehand its his weakness not his backhand and in that match everything went to the rafa bakhand.

Then you look at this years shanghai and how he attacks the forehand, hence the result

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Re: Question about 15-40 situations in the 5th of

^^Did we see the same forehand from Nadal? On that break point he was going backwards as he was hitting that shot, thus making it go wide. I think it was too deep for him.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

I was too nervous i turned my TV off at the first 15-40...going around my room for some time, turned it on again to see another 15-40, so i turned it off again....and the next time i turned it on Roger was holding a break point and broke...;))))
What a lucky break for my heart....
haha i should've done that.

you should've seen me...

mand this match i think pushed my young heart as close as it can be to a genuine heart attack.

never been that tense or nervous in my life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts