Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trend is very alarming. Every time Nadal plays Queens, he makes the finals at Wimbledon at least. When he plays Halle, he always loses first week. Let's have a look, eh?

2005: Plays Halle, loses 1st round to Waske, loses 2nd round at Wimbledon to Muller

2006: Plays Queens, loses QF to Hewitt, makes Wimbledon final
2007: Plays Queens, loses QF to Mahut, makes Wimbledon final
2008: Plays and wins Queens, wins Wimbledon

2009: Plays nothing on grass
2010: Plays Queens, loses QF to Lopez, wins Wimbledon
2011: Plays Queens, loses QF to Tsonga, makes Wimbledon final

2012: Plays Halle, loses QF to Kohlschreiber, loses 2nd round to Rosol at Wimbledon
2013: Was going to play Halle, but pulled out, loses to Darcis 1st round at Wimbledon
2014: Plays Halle, loses R16 to Brown, and most likely loses 1st week at Wimbledon

Of course I'd like to see him reverse the trend this year, but the real question is why switch? Simply because of money? Does he not already have enough? 2006-2011 he had a great thing going with Queens, and he always made the Wimbledon final or won it all every time he's played Queens. He is already in London, getting used to the city, the atmosphere and so on.

Hopefully starting in 2015 he goes back to Queens.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Yes, the only reason is money. He signed a fat three year contract to play in Halle.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
IIRC there was a tax issue in England. Queens does play more similar to Wimbledon though. And you have the benefit of less traveling.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
The trend is very alarming. Every time Nadal plays Queens, he makes the finals at Wimbledon at least. When he plays Halle, he always loses first week. Let's have a look, eh?

2005: Plays Halle, loses 1st round to Waske, loses 2nd round at Wimbledon to Muller

2006: Plays Queens, loses QF to Hewitt, makes Wimbledon final
2007: Plays Queens, loses QF to Mahut, makes Wimbledon final
2008: Plays and wins Queens, wins Wimbledon

2009: Plays nothing on grass
2010: Plays Queens, loses QF to Lopez, wins Wimbledon
2011: Plays Queens, loses QF to Tsonga, makes Wimbledon final

2012: Plays Halle, loses QF to Kohlschreiber, loses 2nd round to Rosol at Wimbledon
2013: Was going to play Halle, but pulled out, loses to Darcis 1st round at Wimbledon
2014: Plays Halle, loses R16 to Brown, and most likely loses 1st week at Wimbledon

Of course I'd like to see him reverse the trend this year, but the real question is why switch? Simply because of money? Does he not already have enough? 2006-2011 he had a great thing going with Queens, and he always made the Wimbledon final or won it all every time he's played Queens. He is already in London, getting used to the city, the atmosphere and so on.

Hopefully starting in 2015 he goes back to Queens.
'Oh but Nadal is such a humble, NON-MONEY MINDED, selfless and down-to-earth human being right?

Nadal, he doesn't play for the money, he plays for the passion he gets from the fight? It's hit want of wanting to test that spirit from within?'

Right?

FUCKING BULL-CRAP.

Now, atlast, everybody can see how much of a money-minded monster he is.

Down-to-earth and humble my stinking arse.

Just have a read of this!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/oct/13/rafael-nadal-uk-tax-queens

PS: and please, unless you have a legitimate argument to contest my point I've made here, with evidence supporting, that he is NOT a money-grabbing tit, then save me your vacous crap.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Look at his career earnings and yet he switches for a reason as pathetic as that?

:haha:

Yeah, down to earth, he's down to spending.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Another non-sensical thesis from the blowhard.

To OP, yes it's the appearance fee + tax issues with England. His three years at Halle are up thou, so hopefully he switches back to Queens. Although I'm not sure playing there would have mattered the last two years.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
IIRC there was a tax issue in England. Queens does play more similar to Wimbledon though. And you have the benefit of less traveling.
It was this entirely and it's affected players in other sports as well. Apparently the UK taxes (or taxed anyway, not sure if they've changed this) foreign athletes on global sponsorship earnings and the rate depends on the number of events you play in the UK. Something like if you play two events(WB and WTF) it's 10% and if you play three (WB, WTF and Queens) it's 15%. If 5% of your yearly endorsement earnings is greater than what you could win at Queens, attending becomes a money loser.

They explain it decently in this article:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-25/u-k-tax-that-pushed-rafael-nadal-to-germany-brings-in-105-million-a-year.html

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
'Oh but Nadal is such a humble, NON-MONEY MINDED, selfless and down-to-earth human being right?

Nadal, he doesn't play for the money, he plays for the passion he gets from the fight? It's hit want of wanting to test that spirit from within?'

Right?

FUCKING BULL-CRAP.

Now, atlast, everybody can see how much of a money-minded monster he is.

Down-to-earth and humble my stinking arse.

Just have a read of this!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/oct/13/rafael-nadal-uk-tax-queens

PS: and please, unless you have a legitimate argument to contest my point I've made here, with evidence supporting, that he is NOT a money-grabbing tit, then save me your vacous crap.
I was only going to suggest that you go out more often...

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Another non-sensical thesis from the blowhard.

To OP, yes it's the appearance fee + tax issues with England. His three years at Halle are up thou, so hopefully he switches back to Queens. Although I'm not sure playing there would have mattered the last two years.
How is it nonsensical?

Nadal portrays himself as down-to-earth and a player that is simply in the game because he loves the thrill of the fight/competition?

Yet he's clearly here http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/oct/13/rafael-nadal-uk-tax-queens that he is unwilling to pay a small, simple ounce of tax for the prize-money he earns with how well he does at the Aegon Championships? Now if we consider his career-earnings, could/can we conclude he is a money-grabbing sod?

I'm just keeping it real.

Everyone says Nadal has a heart of gold and isn't money-driven. Yet look at the reason he's switched which grass-court warm event he turns up at before Wimbledon?

Call it a nonsensical theisis all you want, you cannot argue with the point I've made here and all this thesis crap is your get out of jail card.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
I was only going to suggest that you go out more often...
You can't contest the point I've made, can you?

How is Nadal down-to-earth? How is he playing the sport for his love for/of the game?

Come on.

Why are people dodging the question / point I've made by attacking me? Admit he's not the humble, modest fella he portrays to be may be? People refer to Novak as the bloody politican, look at this bloke, just LOOK AT HIM!

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
How is it nonsensical.

Nadal portrays himself as down-to-earth and a player that is simply in the game because he loves the thrill of the fight/competition?

Yet he's clearly here http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/oct/13/rafael-nadal-uk-tax-queens that he is unwilling to pay a small, simple ounce of tax for the prize-money he earns with how well he does at the Aegon Championships? Now if we consider his career-earnings, could/can we conclude he is a money-grabbing sod?

I'm just keeping it real.

Everyone says Nadal has a heart of gold and isn't money-driven. Yet look at the reason he's switched which grass-court warm event he turns up at before Wimbledon?

Call it a nonsensical theisis all you want, you cannot argue with the point I've made here and all this thesis crap is your get out of jail card.
It's neither small nor simple and it's led to high level discussion among elite UK sport organizers and government officials in an attempt to fix it. It was a big enough issue to even put London's hosting of the WTF in jeopardy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2065239/ATP-Tour-Finals-stay-London-thanks-tax-rules.html

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Nadal told the Times: "I like to play in all the tournaments where they really want me. It is good for tennis. There is a big change in Halle, they have wanted me to be there for the last few years but I really wanted to play in Queen's.

"The truth is, in the UK you have a big regime for tax, it's not about the money for playing. They [HMRC] take from the sponsors, from Babolat, from Nike and from my watches. This is very difficult. I am playing in the UK and losing money. I did a lot more for the last four years, but it is more and more difficult to play in the UK."

Yes Rafa, you're worth so much more.

This guy's more narcissistic than bloody Djokovic.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts

How is Nadal down-to-earth? How is he playing the sport for his love for/of the game?

Come on.

Why are people dodging the question / point I've made by attacking me? Admit he's not the humble, modest fella he portrays to be may be? People refer to Novak as the bloody politican, look at this bloke, just LOOK AT HIM!
You have too much energy tied up in hating an athlete. Rafa signed a 3 year contract with Halle and is obligating his promise to play. Are you really going to sit here and say that Rafa only wants to play Halle because of money? Yeah, the guy is only set for a million lifetimes, but he needs some extra cash. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
It's neither small nor simple and it's led to high level discussion among elite UK sport organizers and government officials in an attempt to fix it. It was a big enough issue to even put London's hosting of the WTF in jeopardy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2065239/ATP-Tour-Finals-stay-London-thanks-tax-rules.html
....but has anyone else other than Rafa come out and said anything about it? These guys earn a 6 figure sum per annum. This is one event in the calendar, Queens club, making it miniscule in the wider context of their earnings over a year.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts

Come on.

Typical Masterpredictor post. Don't bother with him.

He's here to do anything but discuss tennis.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
This thread is hardly to do with the TECHNICAL / PLAYING aspects of tennis, is it?

This is to do with the money side of the game and the reason why Nadal switched over from the Queens club in the west-side of London to Halle all the way in Germany.

I'm just sticking to the topic.

This is the politics of tennis. Therefore it's tennis.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
....but has anyone else other than Rafa come out and said anything about it? These guys earn a 6 figure sum per annum. This is one event in the calendar, Queens club, making it miniscule in the wider context of their earnings over a year.
Read the Bloomberg article I linked earlier, or just read the post where I linked it. This is about percentage of yearly sponsorship earnings based on number of events played, not just tax on what you earn at Queens. It's a very punitive tax for foreign earners and the Bloomberg article reports that it caused athletes from multiple sports to avoid the UK when possible. I've seen other articles saying it's been altered and/or exempted for the WTF, so it's possible it's no longer an issue for the ATP.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts